Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

Lavron's '64 Comet Budget Build

Moderator: Mod Squad

lavron

Re: Lavron's '64 Comet Budget Build

Post #51 by lavron » Fri May 08, 2020 2:07 pm

Soldmy66 wrote:I think there are several of us (at least one) who follow this thread and feel a sense of vicarious triumph with each step.

Well done.

Thanks for that, I have been asked to make movies of the first time I start it and the first test drive out of the shed, I will try and do that.

It is pretty exciting to have a bunch of stuff hooked up and ready to go, I will be curious to see how much stuff I have missed, might be time to make a list (I have said that so many times :roll: ) when there is a lot to do it is not hard to keep moving along doing the big stuff, it seems like all the little stuff is what is going to slow me down.

See Ya,
Mike
64 Comet 202 Sedan, 250- I6, Air Ride, Mll, 8.8 LSD, 4 wheel Discs
Currently a Build in Progress- Whatever I do it will be awesome!

Rinke

Post #52 by Rinke » Sat May 09, 2020 5:25 pm

Nice thread to follow. You're making bigger steps than I managed.
The rebuild phase is the sweetset phase there is in my opinion.

Enjoy it!

Rinke
64 Falcon Station Deluxe
3 on the tree
3.50:1 rear end
Been collecting dust & adding rust for 30 years
Goal: to keep it all working from okt 2008 till all eternity

lavron

Post #53 by lavron » Thu May 21, 2020 2:52 am

Rinke wrote:Nice thread to follow. You're making bigger steps than I managed.
The rebuild phase is the sweetset phase there is in my opinion.

Thanks, I do enjoy it even though it can be frustrating at times :?

Just a quick post, didn't know if I should post this here or on the engine build thread so I guess this one won :roll:

I am adding a 3G Alternator (I had none so I decided this would the easiest to replace down the road if I needed to) It is really a bolt-on operation as long as you have the brackets (mine is a '77 250 A/C motor) I had to buy a new pulley for a twin V belt 2G alternator and swap it with the serpentine pulley, that was the hardest part of the job.

For now it will get a single belt until I do the A/C install, I had an old rotten belt so I cut it and installed after shortening it, now I can take it to the parts store and have them get me a belt the same size.

The alternator is clocked correctly IMO to hook up the wiring fairly easily.

It is a 130amp for a '96 Mustang V6. I already have the factory pigtails to wire it up.

See Ya,
Mike

lavron

Post #54 by lavron » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:43 pm

No pictures to show, but I got the flywheel, clutch & PP installed on the motor, bolted the trans on and put it all down in the Comet, got the mounts all installed and the driveshaft, hooked up the hydraulic clutch and bled it and changed out the driven speedo gear (running a black gear on the shaft and a white gear on the cable) and installed it, filled the trans with fluid.

So all the running gear is installed :beer:

See Ya,
Mike

autonoob

Post #55 by autonoob » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:20 pm

Any update with regards to this build?

lavron

Post #56 by lavron » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:20 pm

autonoob wrote:Any update with regards to this build?

I have been doing nothing too exciting, lately, just wiring up the engine run harness.

Engine is installed but still need to get the intake adapter cast, I bought a stock 1 barrel just to get the car started the first time, that is why I have been doing wiring.

Got the shifter all installed and mocked up the trim around it, it is in a good place.

I installed a '98 Mustang starter relay, I figured it would be easiest to source if it failed on the road, it bolts right in the same holes as the stock solenoid.

While I was wiring this in it included running the wires on the 3G alternator, all that is left on it is the big charge wire and the exciter wire needs run the ignition switch.

The ignition system is all done as well, I have made a little slide-out drawer to hold it and mounted it behind the console on top of the transmission tunnel.

Today I am running the wires for the fuel pump and the hooking up the fuel gauge wire while I am there, I installed a 5 relay box in the trunk and it will have the fuel pump, air compressor, etc. hooked to it.

I have the wire coming in to make the long battery cables (1 AWG welding cable) as well as some lugs and the 6 gauge wire to run over to the fuse boxes under the hood and the missing charge wire for the alt. I am trying to keep the engine bay pretty clutter-free of wiring as much as possible.

There are a handful of little items I need to run down (like the lower radiator hose and the carb spacer) before I will be ready to start the car for the first time.

See Ya,
Mike

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #57 by powerband » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:35 pm

a consideration':

... flex conduit can be used for safe(r) wiring with large amperage circuits front to rear or ><.

have fun

" Everything in my garage has a story ..."

lavron

Post #58 by lavron » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:57 pm

powerband wrote:a consideration':

... flex conduit can be used for safe(r) wiring with large amperage circuits front to rear or ><.

Initially, it will probably just be strung across the floor but ultimately at least the positive cable will be in some sort of conduit.

I got the fuel pump about half wired yesterday, takes a little longer running relays, etc.

See Ya,
Mike

lavron

Post #59 by lavron » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:57 pm

More wiring but about to finish up the engine run harness/wiring, it is not as messy as it looks. :roll:

The insides of the fuse box, box :roll: Two constant contact heavy-duty relays, one supplies IGN-on the other ACC-on, ALWAYS HOT connects to the top bus bar.

The box closed up, it is on the left inner fender where the shock tower used to be.

Fuel pump inertia switch and negative battery master disconnect are between the seats where the future console will be.

Just waiting on a few more parts to arrive.

See Ya,
Mike

lavron

Post #60 by lavron » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:19 pm

Ran the main wire from the firewall to the trunk inside a flex conduit, next I will get the ground wire run to the cut-off switch and then run it up to the fire wall as well just to make sure I have good grounds everywhere, I am going to run a bolt through the firewall and attach a ground cable to the block as well.

Fuel pump, ignition system, starter, alternator, air compressor, and gauges are all hooked up, the battery is ordered, when I get it I can hook it up and start doing some testing and look for escaping smoke - In other words, the engine run harness is almost done.

See Ya,
Mike

lavron

Post #61 by lavron » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:38 pm

Engine run harness is done, I had to run down a few gremlins to get the air compressor to run (not really part of the engine run harness) and the fuel pump had an issue with the inertia switch being wired wrong from the factory (both wires connected to NC or NO terminals and nothing on the common terminal) got it fixed and the fuel pump is operational.

Not sure I mentioned it but I got a Braille AGM compact battery, looks like a lawnmower battery :roll: hooked it up with a 250 AMP circuit breaker. (You can see it is right behind where the rear seat would go if I was installing one, there will be an access panel on the inside of the car there)

Here is pretty much all the engine wiring the only other wires to be added will be A/C stuff later.

My biggest mistake I have found so far is totally messing up wiring the relays in the trunk (fuel pump and compressor) after blowing a few fuses on the compressor I got them sorted and wired correctly, my brain must have been broke the day I wired those :roll: I guess I wired the first one wrong and followed suit with the second one :P

Hopefully, I will be well practiced by the time I finish all the wiring on this car.

See Ya,
Mike
Last edited by lavron on Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #62 by bubba22349 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:03 pm

:beer: Mike :wow: that's a lot of wring going on with cool LEDs in the panels, all that detailing really looks great! :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

My Ex-Fleet of Sixes sadly these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Soldmy66

Post #63 by Soldmy66 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:26 am

You keep on doing a great job, really impressive.

I continue to look forward to your updates.

lavron

Post #64 by lavron » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:29 pm

Soldmy66 wrote:You keep on doing a great job, really impressive.

Thanks I try to make things neat and unusual :P I enjoy the work just wish all the parts were free.

I have been wiring other stuff as I wait for the last few parts to fire up the car, I got the turn signal switch back in and some of it hooked up, I actually made lights blink at the rear of the car but need to get some new sockets for the taillights, probably the front marker lights as well all of that stuff has gotten a little crusty over the last 56 years.

I am trying to add sequential taillights but the little cheap boxes I bought won't let the brake lights work right (they sequentially blink once and then go off) Speedway has one for around $50 so I think I will order it, it controls the brake lights as well and I can't get them to work set up according to the wiring diagram except for when the turn signal is activated, the new control boxes get a signal directly from the brake switch and bypass the turn signal switch.

Not too exciting stuff but all necessary, eventually :roll:

I will keep you guys posted.

See Ya,
Mike

lavron

Post #65 by lavron » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:14 am

Made the headlights light up today (3 out of 4, one is burned out) Just about finished running all the wires for exterior lighting.

Final engine parts came today so I will be shifting back over to the motor for a bit.

See Ya,
Mike

lavron

Post #66 by lavron » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:55 am

Just to finish up mostly done things before switching back over to engine work I got the truck headlight switch installed and the new dimmer switch, all the turn signal wiring is done, horn wiring is done.

The headlight switch was not a fully bolt in mod, the detents on the new switch are further back (see middle picture below) there are at least two solutions to this problem, getting a longer headlight knob or moving the switch slightly forward, I chose the latter.

I had to cut the rear part of the bracket off that holds the switch and move it forward around 1/2" and rewelding it in place, I also had to cut off about the same amount from the bezel tube threads and liner.

They work like they should now.

See Ya,
Mike