Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

5-lug steel wheels with bottle cap hubcaps?

Moderator: Mod Squad

David_Conwill

5-lug steel wheels with bottle cap hubcaps?

Post #1 by David_Conwill » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:44 am

I love the look of an old car with painted steelies and poverty caps (see the avatar). I have also seen that original Falcon hubcaps go for cheap on eBay. Based on my searches both here and on TFFN, it appears that the only wheel larger than 13" that will mount that hubcap is the early Mustang 14". Apparently that's based on the Falcon 13" center (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm afraid I believe disc brakes to be a necessity, so unfortunately the 4-lug wheels will have to go eventually.

Can someone tell me if any factory 14" or 15" steel wheels will mount the "bottle cap" hubcaps?

In the alternative, has anyone fabricated an adapter to run the 9" hubcap on something like a mid-eighties Crown Victoria wheel?

Thank you!
1962 Falcon DeLuxe: 250/T5/8"/Scarebird discs.

dwood

Post #2 by dwood » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:08 am

I have discs on a car and hubcaps. i have granda steel whees and the small falconGalaxie Ford hubcaps. the granda wheels have the larger hub hole for the disc rotor.

David_Conwill

Post #3 by David_Conwill » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:21 am

I didn't think Galaxie hubcaps and Falcon hubcaps interchanged. I'm confused.

I see you have a '65. Perhaps I should have specified that I was thinking of the '60 to '63 cars.

dwood

Post #4 by dwood » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:05 pm

Ok.. None of the roundbody hubcaps will for the 5 lug wheels. so, may be out of luck on that. He is what i have.. They are 64 galaxie hubcaps that i just liked. I have 65 galaxie/ford ones on another car but it is not here. I always called the 65 ones, "Cop" car hubcaps

David_Conwill

Post #5 by David_Conwill » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:21 pm

Say, that's very sharp. I'd love to see some pics of the rest of the car. I've had a hankering to run black steelies and skinny whites on my '68 Camaro for that look. I'm afraid 15" Chevy-pattern steelies are considerably harder to come by around here than the Ford pattern, however.

Anyway, as far as nomenclature goes, I used "bottle cap" because it seems to be the prevalent term on these sites for the old Falcon cap with the corrugated edge (which looks like an old bottle cap from the top). As far as hubcaps in general, I've heard them referred to as police caps, taxi caps, povery caps, dog dish caps and baby moons. "Dog dish" only seemed appropriate to me when the center of the cap is indented (like on my '68 Camaro caps), baby moon only seemed appropriate when the hubcap was completely smooth (no lettering).

While I'm being a technician...

As far as hubcaps in general, am I the only one who gets bugged when full wheelcovers are referred to as "hubcaps"? To me a hubcap covers only the center of the wheel, not extending further out than the lip around the lugnuts. If it goes all the way out to the rim, it's a "wheelcover."

Anyhow, thanks for the help. If I don't get anyone to chime in on making adaptors, I'll either try my hand at making some, or I'll run '59 Ford caps. Anyone know if those will fit a Crow Vic wheel?

-Dave

jahearne

Post #6 by jahearne » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:18 pm

I have 3 same hubcaps, but in a smaller diameter that won't fit my 14" wheels.

Note the difference in size, the 3 chrome vs. silver one. I'm sure they'll fit the 13" wheels. I tried to sell them for fifteen bucks, but nobody came through.
John

'67 Ranchero 250 AOD
'66 Mustang Fastback
'65 Chris Craft Super Sport
'60 Chris Craft Constellation

PhantomAce

Post #7 by PhantomAce » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:23 pm

The 3 you have look just like the 4 caps on my parts car. But, it has 4-lug 14" rims with the 10" diameter cap lip.

Mike.

falconizer_62

Post #8 by falconizer_62 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:44 am

i am soon to be in the same boat. i figured that there would be plenty of aftermarket steelies found amongst the street rod crowd. i was thinking of using the granada disc set up and an 8" rear and switching to 5 lug.
but the stock bottle caps are a must. i thought it should be no big deal to find them and haven't researched it yet.
if no rims are available i will make adapters as well. let me see the design you are planning to use. i'm curious.

David_Conwill

Post #9 by David_Conwill » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:52 am

I haven't got a real design in mind yet. I was looking for inspiration here. At least I know it's doable, I've seen a Jag V12-powered Corvair once running the 13" wheelcovers on 15" steelies. The quick-and-dirty way I guess would be to find some hubcaps that did fit, paint them to match the wheel and figure out a way to attach the Falcon 'cap to them, but I hate to ruin good old car parts.

falconizer_62

Post #10 by falconizer_62 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:25 am

i was thinking of some sort of plate that centers on the lug nuts (might need slightly longer wheel studs) with tabs that have lips on them that snap into the cap and hold it on. that way it would still be easy to pry them off. 2nd choice would also be a plate on the lug nuts, but instead of snapping taps the tabs would be threaded and use a set screw to hold on the cap. any other ideas?

David_Conwill

Post #11 by David_Conwill » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:53 am

I'm not 100% certain how the caps are held to the stock wheels, but I'll bet there are stamped in "nipples" on the ring around the lugnuts, right? I'm wondering, though, if you couldn't steal a page from Ford in the '30s. I have a pair of '36-'39 "Wide Five" wheels and hubcaps and the hubcaps were held on with riveted spring clips. Seems like you could make something like that relatively easily. I like your idea better, though.

rickwrench

Post #12 by rickwrench » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:43 pm

Stockton Wheel (and most other custom steel wheel places) will happily use your four lug 13" center on a 14" or 15" stepped rim.
Same center for the cap, and the ability to use more common tires.
When I last talked to Stockton Wheel, in Oct, he was charging about $100 per wheel to do this.
One of the options was a chromed rim, so, no beauty rings to buy. Just mask and paint the centers, pop the cap on and you are good to go.
On the other hand, 185/80-r13 tires are $20 each.
Rick(wrench)
'62 Falcon Wagons (x2), Kellison J5, V8 Alfa GTam, Corvair Corsa:
www.rickwrench.com

David_Conwill

Post #13 by David_Conwill » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:17 pm

Yes, but unfortunately that doesn't do any good if you want to upgrade to disc brakes and a stouter rear end, because they're all five-lug.

Besides, I've heard bad things about Stockton's customer service.

addo
VIP Member

Post #14 by addo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:09 pm

Really? What kind of stories? I've only heard decent tales.

Was it someone you know, or just "through the grapevine"?

Being overseas, it's always interesting to hear both sides of a business!

David_Conwill

Post #15 by David_Conwill » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 pm

Here's where I heard most of the bad stuff:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... kton+Wheel

rickwrench

Post #16 by rickwrench » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:44 pm

Ouch!
Pretty bad feedback. I live about half an hour away an talked to them in person, seemed nice enough face to face. But, people are generally nice to me, in person (or afraid, I don't know ;) ). Glad I stuck with the 13" wheels now.
Among the many rants, there was good info on some of the other steel wheel makers. Somebody -has- to be good.
Rick(wrench)
www.rickwrench.com

David_Conwill

Post #17 by David_Conwill » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:14 pm

Yeah, the recommended supplier in that thread as I recall (it's a bit old now) was Wheel Vintiques. They're nice, but the major disadvantage to their product is that I don't believe it will mount the OE hubcap (and their solids lack the "windows" factory wheels have between the center and the rim). I haven't been in touch with them about custom work, however, although I don't recall seeing it mentioned on their website.

As far as Stockton wheel goes, I suspect if you live nearby they'd be great to deal with as you could keep an eye on what was going on. Living in Michigan, however, I don't really want to place my trust in them after all the complaints on the HAMB.

My Camaro steel wheel problem is nearly solved, I simply have to get back to the junkyard and pull the 15 inchers off a '68 Caprice there. Wheel Vintiques makes a true OE style 15" GM steelie, but they only get as wide as 5", because they're designed for C1 Corvettes.

I haven't got a Falcon yet, so this is back burner, but Crown Vic wheels are looking good. I wouldn't even have a problem running a chrome spider cap on them and I'm sure a local circle track shop would be happy to widen or narrow them for me.

As far as adapters, there's someone in the street rod industry now making an adapter that clamps to a '40-'48 Ford wheel center that will mount a '32-'53 Ford hubcap (designed for a wire wheel). I think something similar would be clever. However, with zero machining ability, I suspect such a thing is beyond me. Oh well, I'd happily salt away a set of Falcon caps for later and run one of the other good-looking Ford caps from the era. Like I said, the '59 hubcap looks good to me.

David_Conwill

Post #18 by David_Conwill » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:15 am

I think I've got it.

The solution, as Rickwrench noted above, is to use Falcon/Mustang 4-lug centers with a new rim.

We don't absolutely require 5-lugs, do we? So we get the Granada rotors and the Ford 8" rear axles re-drilled to the Falcon 4-lug pattern and run 4-lug wheels.

What fits a Falcon hubcap better than a Falcon wheel?

The only disadvantage would be if you wanted to swap back and forth between mags and steelies, you'd have to get 4-lug mags. I don't see that being a problem for me, though. I want a 4-door and those usually look a bit odd with mags.

rickwrench

Post #19 by rickwrench » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:18 pm

Some of the Mavericks came with a 4 lug 8" rear end, which is a nice fit into the roundbody falcons. They aren't as rare as you would think, and solve the "stouter rear end" problem. I found one of mine in the local pick'n'pull. Just have to keep your eyes open for them when they show up.
If you have new wheels made with stock centers, give yourself extra backspacing, as the 4 lug Mav rear is 1/2" wider than the stock roundbody rear. 1/2 inch wider is just enough to cause some rubbing issues with anything wider than 185 tires.
There are several good options now for 4 lug front disk brakes, too.
Rick(wrench)
www.rickwrench.com

David_Conwill

Re: 5-lug steel wheels with bottle cap hubcaps?

Post #20 by David_Conwill » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:07 am

Just a thought that I keep forgetting to write down: The boxy, '90s Dodge Dakota has a 5-lug, '40-Ford-looking wheel that looks like it will mount a small hubcap, but I've yet to confirm or deny that possibility.

-Dave