Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

NEWLY AQUIRED 61! NEW MEMBER

Moderator: Mod Squad

DOMER94

NEWLY AQUIRED 61! NEW MEMBER

Post #1 by DOMER94 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:58 pm

my wife and i just traded her 2000 jag xj8 for this 61. looking forward to getting to know this car. just found out ffom my mother that my father's first car when he came over from italy was a 61 two door (i had no previous idea). i guess he steered me to it somehow !!
it has 57k original miles. i would say about 5k miles on a restoration. the owner had full photographic record of the stripdown and resto... plus a big stack of receipts. was a home-done resto and re-paint, not perfect, but pretty damn good. has some rust bubbles on the lower edge of the passenger door and around the rear wheel well (minor). will have to be addressed sometime in the future. all else runs strong. 2 speed tranny runs and shifts nicely. the guy painted her chevy orange... some kind of sick joke.. but it actually looks sharp.

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Re: NEWLY AQUIRED 61! NEW MEMBER

Post #2 by rbohm » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:30 pm

8) sweet car. enjoy driving it.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

LaGrasta
VIP Member

Post #3 by LaGrasta » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:33 pm

I love it, that looks great. I had originally considered painting my '63 orange with a black top, sort of Harley-ish. Then it was going to be copper, and eventually arrived at what it is now, lime.
May I asked what the restoration cost versus what it sold for? Also, where are located? Welcome to FORDSIX.
1963 1/2 Falcon 170/C4/8" (alt, a/c, Petronix/42v coil/8mm wires, 16" electric fan, electric fuel pump, Holley 1940, K&N Harley air filter, power dual m/c, 11" disc, 3" drop, Shelby drop, white tuck/roll, Moon steering wheel, '59 Caddy tail lights, fishtail exhaust tip, shaved trim, handles, cowl, fuel, dash, 4" radius trunk/door corners, power windows, 600w iPod system)

DOMER94

Post #4 by DOMER94 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:45 pm

hey lagrasta , it was listed on ebay at tysons ford in virginia for 8900. they were willing to do an even trade with the 2000 xj8 with 87k miles and 4 star condition (KBB). by the looks of the restoration pics, the owner combined some resto parts from falconparts with surviving bits, plus some autozone stuff. the engine bay is sprayed with a rhino-lining type coating which looks and handles pretty well. the vehicle was stripped to bare body and it looks like the bodywork and paint were done in his garage. the motor had a rebuild with all the subsequent equipment put to new. if i had to guess off the top of my head, i would say he put about 6 to 7k, not counting the labor hours which look to be all by him and people he knows.

aribert

Post #5 by aribert » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:25 am

LOOKS GOOD!

Always glad to see another roundbody that is roadworthy. Take it out and enjoy it.
61 , Deluxe trim & original 54 yr old factory padded dash. Custom interior, stock color base/clear, 275K mi, My car for the last 47 years (OK, first decade "ownership" from the left rear seat). '78 200, 3.03 manual trans, '73 dist w/ points & TFI ign, Weber32/36, 15 wheels Image

91 F150 4.9 almost stock

DOMER94

Post #6 by DOMER94 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:07 am

thanks. right now im taking care of the small things that are never mentioned in a sellers listing. turn signal stalk broke in my hand and i think the signal cam is lunched up... horn doesnt work, battery holddown missing, have to replace some instrument panel bulbs.. figure i will do them all plus the volt regulator. glass channels were missing leaving the glass rattling about (started installing new ones). the outer fuzzy beltline seals could use replacing. last but not least, rear seatbelts must be installed so i can take the baby out!!

aribert

Post #7 by aribert » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:52 am

FWIW, the glass runs in the 60 / 61 (and maybe 62) are different than what was used in later years. Ours is a coth covered, wire reiforced material with a decorative chrome bead on the outside (a bitch of a part to form correctly to get the tight square corner at the top rear corner of the the door frame - I ended making a form tool out of wood on my table saw to be able to form the 90 deg bend without the part splaying out). The later ones use a much simpler rubber extrusion with a bit of flocking on the rub surfaces. Some of the Falcon parts vendors only sold the later model glass run material (even for the earliest models, a decade ago, I have no idea as to what they offer today).

The beltline weather strips are also thicker than similar looking parts used on other cars. When I first replaced mine back in the early '80s, I was sold material that was atleast 1/16 in. thinner than the stock material - the fuzz did not even touch the glass. When I redid everything about a decade ago, I found the correct material at a company called Restoration Specialties (don't know if they still stock the material).
61 , Deluxe trim & original 54 yr old factory padded dash. Custom interior, stock color base/clear, 275K mi, My car for the last 47 years (OK, first decade "ownership" from the left rear seat). '78 200, 3.03 manual trans, '73 dist w/ points & TFI ign, Weber32/36, 15 wheels Image

91 F150 4.9 almost stock

michael_cini

Post #8 by michael_cini » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:43 pm

Clean lookin' little Falcon. Congrats on the trade and welcome!
63 futura convertible sport coupe,
250 I6/C4, OZ head (milled, oversized valves), Holley 350cfm carb, 264/274-110 cam, 6 into 1 header, 2.5 exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, granada disc brakes, 5 bolt 8" rear.

BTW, it's pronounced Chee-knee.

karfer67

Post #9 by karfer67 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:18 pm

great looking falcon but may i make a suggestion. relocate that fuel filter away from sitting over the exhaust manifold. i would move it so that it is before the fuel pump personally then run a single hose from the pump to the carb. sweet ride wish mine was that nice