Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

mystery clicking / squeak coming from front end

Moderator: Mod Squad

DOMER94

mystery clicking / squeak coming from front end

Post #1 by DOMER94 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:26 pm

well, one of the first true "california" like days in the new york area. had the 61 out for a nice long criuse. about 3/4 way through the day i noticed a sound when riding along a divider.. it varied with vehicle speed, so thought it was a brake issue of some sort. however, when turning to the left, it doesnt make the sound (even when jerking the wheel slightly to left when running is straight line). the steering feels good and front end feels tight. it sounds like a tick / very short squeak. could this be a brake shoe?

you guys have been great helping me solve problems so far... praying someone has an idea!!

karfer67

Re: mystery clicking / squeak coming from front end

Post #2 by karfer67 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:05 pm

might be one of the bushings. my 62 ranchero had the same issue or well should i say a rouge squeak. i took a can of white lithium to the bushings and it still did not go away until a few days later when i guess the grease worked its way into whatever was squeaking. but to be safe you might want to raise the front and make sure you dont have a shoe draging a lot. and make sure your wheel bearings are not loose.

DOMER94

Post #3 by DOMER94 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:22 pm

thanks. i thought dragging shoe... it definitly changes in fequency with speed. can that be taken care of with the drum adjuster?

karfer67

Post #4 by karfer67 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:13 am

yes and no. depending on the year of your falcon like my 63 wagon has self adjusters so you get it close then back up a few times and it self adjusts although i tend to find that it tends to set them a bit tight. on an earlier one you can adjust them but keep in mind if the return springs on your brakes are weak or you have a wheel cylinder that is sticking it may hold one shoe out just enough to cause an annoying sound like that