Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Parts car turned into a "runner"

Moderator: Mod Squad

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Re: Parts car turned into a "runner"

Post #101 by woodbutcher » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:33 am

:D Hi PA.Try to find a set of LEFT HAND drill bits.MOST of the time,they will cause the broken stud,bolt or whatever to back out with the left hand rotation of the bit.
Also,if the bolt did`nt bottom out in the hole,it should back right out with no problem.BTDT.
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".
Otto von Bismarck

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #102 by bubba22349 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:57 pm

:thumbup: Really nice clean job :nod:

Maybe you can back out that clutch bolt without even drilling since they don't bottom out. Try a real small flat blade screwdriver (like a pocket type) on outside edge (usually there is an uneven edge to grab) and tap it in reverse rotation with small hammer most of the time they just roll out again fairly easy.
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

PhantomAce

Post #103 by PhantomAce » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:01 am

Multiple car update ("Parts Car" and mine...):

Parts Car:
We finished working out the throttle linkage bracket without having to intrude on/modify the "PowerByFord" valve cover. There's a thread on this in the 144-250 Performance forum under "2V Holley Direct Mount Linkage". Therefore, I won't tie up extra server space here posting pictures twice. But, needless to say, I think the carb linkage for the "Parts Car" came out pretty good. We're planning on firing that engine up and putting it through its high-idle break-in this weekend, with a little luck anyway.

As for mine...
I decided to make life easy (so I thought), and sold the SROD bell and the v8 T5 I had. I used a '66 bell and CPC adapter that was available, and picked up an '87 T-bird T5 so I didn't need to switch out the gears on my fresh '63 Sprint/3.0 posi rear axle assembly. The idea was to NOT have to build up an expensive cable linkage and utilize parts on hand. Plus, I wanted to get a T5 more appropriately geared for the 3.0 posi I already had in my car.
I spent an evening rebuilding the z-bar assembly with parts from FalconParts.com (that was easy and fairly cheap), and then spent some time dealing with the wiped out clutch rod end pivot from the pedal to the z-bar that came off the “Parts Car” project. (We’re basically converting a 3-on-the-tree car to auto, and an auto car to 5-speed on the floor, so we’ve traded pedals and linkage assemblies between the two cars.) Ended up having to cut a piece to fit and welding it into the end of the rod the attaches to the pedal, and re-drilling, and now I need to replace the pivot point at the pedal with a 5/16" grade 8 bolt with a shoulder at the other side for the rod to ride on. It should work fine (probably better than stock), but it's still a pain, and will be a noticeable deviation from stock design if you stick your head up underneath the dash.
Well, the TurboCoupe T5 I got doesn't want to go into 5th gear reliably (admittedly we're talking just dry on a bench or underneath a non-running car), so I'm probably going to have to rebuild it. Still less of an issue than changing the rear again, but still a pain in the posterior.
Bought a new C4 adapter from FalconParts.com, put that in the “Parts Car” (as the new version allows conversion to an AOD later if he decides to swap to v8), and took the previously installed one out of the “Parts Car” and used it to modify in order to carry the T5 in mine. Built a couple of arms to attach it to the frame rails on mine (very similar to the set-up “powerband” built, but tighter to the floor, as my car is an early-61 without the tranny tunnel support).
We used 2” x 1-1/2” x 1/8” rectangular tube, with 1-1/2” x 1/8” flat stock to sandwich at the factory frame rails.
Should have everything mocked-up and finished on mine by the weekend so I can locate a driveshaft and/or have one built. And, as mentioned previously, planning on firing up and putting the “Parts Car” through its high idle break-in as well.
Starting to get entertaining…
Mine: '61 chero, Clifford 200, E0 head (1.75/1.50, 1.6 rocker), 276 Cam, H-W 38/38, CI 6-to-2 header, T5, front disc, Shelby drop, 8" 3.0-posi, buckets/console, 15" TorqThrust's. Still building...
Son's "Parts Car": '61 chero, local built 200, C9 head (1.75/1.50, 1.5 rocker), 274 cam, 2V direct, Clifford 6-to-2 header, C4, B&M QuickSilver, stock rear and susp (for now).

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #104 by bubba22349 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:10 am

:thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Rinke

Post #105 by Rinke » Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

sweet thread.

all t etroubles remind me of my own rebuild.
Heng in there, it's all the sweeter when you'll actually be driving the car.

btw bow's the son doing with his nose?

Good luck,

Rinke
64 Falcon Station Deluxe
3 on the tree
3.50:1 rear end
Been collecting dust & adding rust for 30 years
Goal: to keep it all working from okt 2008 till all eternity

PhantomAce

Post #106 by PhantomAce » Thu May 12, 2011 7:41 pm

Rinke:
The nose is "better", but he has to watch it for a while. The surgeon repeated what he told us after his first surgery... it'll take at least 18-months for it to be substantially healed. He still has a little discomfort every now and then, and occasionally a little bleeding if he blows his nose too hard, but in general he's on track to recover fully.
Thanks for asking!

Long overdue project update:

Tools:
Built a new welding cart that is more readily "portable" around the garage so we can start working on the bed of mine and finish the cab floors of both cars. It has the plasma cutter and my little "handy-mig" underneath, a safety cubby for the gas bottle in one corner, and enough surface space for my 12" chop saw to sit on top, or be used as a bench if I take the saw off of it. Probably one of the best things I have done yet from an "ease of use" tool perspective.

Also built a "pedestal" for my 6" double ended buffer that bolts to my suddenly empty engine stand, so it is now portable as well, and yet doesn't roll around when in use. Has plenty of clearance to work long pieces as well, as the only thing in the way is the vertical bar of the stand itself.

Kid's "Parts Car":
The engine is in, and the tranny, notched/slotted the core support to set the radiator forward a bit, finished the 2v Holley direct linkage adapter, made a stanchion to bolt off the coil mounting points on the block to carry the cable more directly to the cab, and have done our preliminary cuts & welds on the pedal assembly for it. Haven't fired the engine up yet, just so much going on we haven't bounced back over to his yet. Plus, the weather has been less than desirable most recent weekends (windy or raining), and on the weekends it has been decent we have had other plans. His car is outside, so it's affected more by that than mine.
I did sort out which pieces of bed trim were going to go on his and got them primed and on the car.
Have also been working on polishing out a set of windshield trim for his as well (more on that further down).
Next step is to fire the engine up and put it through it's cam break-in cycle and verify every thing is kosher. Once we do that then we are going to latch on with a tow bar and drag it over to my brother's garage. He is going to do the rest of the body work on my kid's project as part of the trade for me giving him the Windsor stroker and narrowed 3.25 9" posi I originally bought for my car.
By the way... kid has now decided he wants to paint his car Red. We'll see if it changes again (for the umpteenth time) before we actually go buy the paint though.

My car:
Finished up the crossmember to carry the T5, and it fits about perfectly I think. The center of the tailshaft is at the same height as the stock tailshaft was, so I have to believe it is "right". Finished setting up the parking brake from the crossmember back. Would do the front half, but I want to shoot the interior metal before I start hanging the parking brake handle and the pedal assembly.
Have been trying to ding out, then sand, then polish all the stainless windshield trim for both cars as well as the stainless bed trim for mine.
But... I'm having a hard time getting the finish I want. It's coming out like a mirror at first glance, but if you look real close you can still see very fine scratches that I just can't get to come completely out. I would post a picture, but they're so fine that you would really have to see it, as the reflection in the camera makes it nary impossible to see in a pic. So, need some advice here...

Current process:
Wet sand with 400
Wet sand with 600
Wet sand with 1000
Wet sand with 1500
Wet sand with 2000
Buff with tight sewn cotton wheel using white compound
Polish with loose sewn fine cotton wheel with red compound.

The problem I am having is I just can't seem to get the really fine scratches from the 2000 grit out of it, and it's not for lack of trying. (I bet I have 8 to 10 hours just in the piece along the top of the tailgate, and they're still visible if you look for them up close).
So, never having done this before, I have to believe I am just ignorant and using the wrong compounds or something.
Can anyone give any input on what the "right" process is to get to zero on the finish?
Seriously, I know it sounds stupid, but I just haven't messed with these pieces before.
Now, keep in mind, none of this trim is going to be "perfect", I know that. I've got a couple dings that just aren't going to come out (although some small oak doewl with duct tape rapped on the ends and a small hammer does do wonders for the most dings), but I am trying to make what I have look as nice as possible here, so any advice is appreciated.

Anyway, that's where we're at for now.
Mine: '61 chero, Clifford 200, E0 head (1.75/1.50, 1.6 rocker), 276 Cam, H-W 38/38, CI 6-to-2 header, T5, front disc, Shelby drop, 8" 3.0-posi, buckets/console, 15" TorqThrust's. Still building...
Son's "Parts Car": '61 chero, local built 200, C9 head (1.75/1.50, 1.5 rocker), 274 cam, 2V direct, Clifford 6-to-2 header, C4, B&M QuickSilver, stock rear and susp (for now).

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #107 by woodbutcher » Fri May 13, 2011 3:51 pm

:) Hi PA.Try jewelers rouge.IIRC,it`s the finest polishing compound aviable.Use a cotton wheel.
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".

Otto von Bismarck

69.5Mav

Post #108 by 69.5Mav » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Any Progress?

69.5Mav

Post #109 by 69.5Mav » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:19 am

Any Progress?