Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Parts car turned into a "runner"

Moderator: Mod Squad

69.5Mav

Re: Parts car turned into a "runner"

Post #51 by 69.5Mav » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:01 am

Got any news?

PhantomAce

Post #52 by PhantomAce » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Lost the better part of a week due to family travel, so we didn't get a "lot" done.
(Went to Idaho to visit Mom&Stepdad)
We got the vacuum wipers working before we left. They were just bound up from sitting so long. Took the motor out, took it apart, lubed everything up, and they work fairly decent with vacuum applied, at least as well as a person can expect vacuum wipers to work anyway.
Put the correct vacuum top fuel pump on to operate them, and it seems to be working right, but...
It stopped pulling fuel the other night when we went out to work on it. Popped the filter I installed before the pump, and it seemed to have minimal flow, as in almost nothing. No big deal, new filter is easy enough, but there was zero gas coming out of the line leading up to it.
I think the intake got plugged at the tank. Not surprising, as it sat outside inoperable for at least the 8 years I've had it, and probably longer before I bought it. Still going to be a drag to fix though.

That's this weekends project:
We're going to roll it onto the driveway tomorrow, drain the tank with a little electric fuel pump I have, and then pull it. Planning on trying to get as much of whatever is in it out as we can, blow the lines clear, and then reinstall.
While we're under there we're hoping to install the new rear leafs if there is sufficient time.

My nephew has a friend that apparently does a lot of floor work and welding on low-riders, air bag systems, stuff like that. He's supposed to come over and get a look at the floors as well, but we'll see if that happens this weekend or not.
Other than the fuel issue, floors and seat belts the car is pretty much ready to register. Everything else is in working order.

Good thing too, as I'm planning on picking MY engine up at the machine shop on Monday, and want to get back to work on it as soon as possible.
Mine: '61 chero, Clifford 200, E0 head (1.75/1.50, 1.6 rocker), 276 Cam, H-W 38/38, CI 6-to-2 header, T5, front disc, Shelby drop, 8" 3.0-posi, buckets/console, 15" TorqThrust's. Still building...
Son's "Parts Car": '61 chero, local built 200, C9 head (1.75/1.50, 1.5 rocker), 274 cam, 2V direct, Clifford 6-to-2 header, C4, B&M QuickSilver, stock rear and susp (for now).

69.5Mav

Post #53 by 69.5Mav » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:24 am

Had the same thing happen to my '72 Mav 3 years ago.
Pulled the tank and found it full of debrie about 1/2" square and 1/4 to 3/8" thick. As this was a salt state car the tank was also heavily corroded.
Took it to the local radiator shop. They boiled it out, checked it for leaks, added a drain plug and sealed it against further rust for around $280 dollars including the tank straps.
Haven't had a lick of trouble with it since.

I needed the car in the interim so I put a boat tank in the trunk and drove it like that. Three gallons lasts me the whole week.

PhantomAce

Post #54 by PhantomAce » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Update:

Been trying to concentrate on labor intensive stuff on the weekends, and odds&ends during the weeknights as available. This is because my project takes so much to move out of the way (it pretty much eats up the entire working area of the garage), that we try to make the most of it when we do, as it has to be back in the garage each night.

This Saturday we moved my project out of the garage and rolled the kid's car into the garage and got started on the floor. Went with the pre-fab frames we built up before. Almost didn't go that route, but we decided to go for structure rather than worry about a "concourse" repair. So, we cut out the floor cancer in the passenger front and toeboard, installed the frame, and then replaced the floor metal with 16g plate stock. Not real pretty, but it is VERY solid. Hoping to hit the same area on the driver's side one day next weekend, and then we'll get to the areas under/behind the seat last.

On Sunday (yesterday) we pulled it into the garage backwards and got to work on the rear suspension. The rear springs were completely trashed (top of the fender arch was hanging down past the top of the rims a full 2"), and the shocks were so bad that when we took them out I collapsed them by hand, and one of them never even opened back up. So I donated the new set of rear leafs I originally purchased for my project, as well as my new rear shocks, shackles and bushings. It took a while, but when we rolled it back out of the garage at about 4:00 PM it had a complete, brand new rear suspension.
Only thing yet to do there is install the rear sway bar. I bought a used one for it off of Craig's List last week for $50, should show up next day or two. When it gets here we'll roll it back around and do the sway bar and the gas tank at the same time.

In the meantime... tonight's plan is to deal with the small tranny leak it still seems to have, and try to get some clearance for the parking brake assembly at the equalizer bar. It seems that since we replaced the rear springs it changed the angle on the driveshaft just enough that it's rubbing on the driveshaft, which is not a good thing, for obvious safety reasons.
Hopefully we can get that finished on the driveway without having to roll my car back out...
Mine: '61 chero, Clifford 200, E0 head (1.75/1.50, 1.6 rocker), 276 Cam, H-W 38/38, CI 6-to-2 header, T5, front disc, Shelby drop, 8" 3.0-posi, buckets/console, 15" TorqThrust's. Still building...
Son's "Parts Car": '61 chero, local built 200, C9 head (1.75/1.50, 1.5 rocker), 274 cam, 2V direct, Clifford 6-to-2 header, C4, B&M QuickSilver, stock rear and susp (for now).

PhantomAce

Post #55 by PhantomAce » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:53 am

Ok...
We didn't get any further on the floors this weekend, had a few other things to sort out:
We pulled the C-4 adapter mount for a couple reasons.
- First, wanted to get the tranny exposed and wiped down to try to find the leak. No dice, it appears to have just stopped leaking on it's own, weird...
- Second reason is that the location on the adapter for the equalizer bar was too high, which was putting the parking brake cable perilously close to the front u-joint on the driveshaft. So, we got out the grinder and cut the equalizer bar mount off, moved it down about 1-1/2", and then welded it back on. Gave it a little clean-up and repaint, and reinstalled it. Seems to have plenty of clearance now.
We then pulled the gas tank, removed the sending unit/inlet assembly, and found a completely disintegrated screen. Sloshed the tank around a bit, dumped it, and other than the screen it wasn't that bad. So we went and bought a basic metal filter and attached it instead, blew the line out from the engine side, and reinstalled the tank. The gas gauge is off (reads 1/4 tank when empty), but the system appears to be flowing fuel now. No sense in putting in another stock sending unit, as the plan is to get a new set of gauges, so we will get the appropriate sending unit to match the gauges when that happens.
We also put in a new muffler hanger, as the original was completely shredded, and all that was holding the exhaust up was a piece of wire that some previous owner had wrapped around the back of the muffler and up through a hole in the undercarriage.
We also took my old steering column assembly, thoroughly wire wheeled it from the bottom of the steering box to the base of the steering wheel bell area, sanded, primed and painted it. Went gray engine enamel on the box and semi-gloss black engine enamel on the column itself. Pulled the bolts on the steering box cover plate and the plug in the casing and filled it with grease through the various holes. Going to swap that unit into the "parts" car and adjust the worm/sector play once it's in, and then I'll do a similar clean-up to the one coming out and mount it in my project so we have steering to move my car around easier until I can get a tilt column for mine. I already have the "new" '67 Mustang manual steering box for mine, just need to decide to spend the money on a matching tilt column, which I'm not quite ready to do yet...
Also blew apart the original clutch/brake pedal hanging from the parts car down to a pile of pieces on Saturday, wire-wheeled, sanded, cleaned everything, repainted it all. Then, when everything was dry, I put a little light lube on all the joints and put it back together. I put some reproduction rubber pedal pads on it, and it looks almost brand new now, and no more squeaks or tight spots.

Pretty funny though... the "parts car" now has parts from MY project, and I've got parts on mine from it, completely swapping manual-to-auto and auto-to-manual. Not what was originally intended when I bought the second jalopy years ago.
:lol:

69.5Mav

Post #56 by 69.5Mav » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:02 pm

Any progress?

PhantomAce

Post #57 by PhantomAce » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:30 am

Actually, yes, some progress. Just been "baby steps" so I hadn't updated.
Gets kind of convoluted, so read carefully...

Son replaced the bad section of the driver-rear floor the other day. Did it by himself, 100%, while I was in my office working. Came out pretty good! We're only 1/2-way there on the floor at this point, as the Pass-rear and Driver-front still need attention. But I think he's going to hit the Pass-rear next couple days, and we'll tackle the Driver-front together on the weekend, hopefully. (Just took some "learning" of the welder and plasma cutter, practice makes perfect.)
Still haven't installed the steering column from mine into his yet, but that's mostly because neither of us has been willing to tackle getting the car up on blocks and trying to fish the old column out/new column in yet. Soon I think though.

I have been spending my evenings trying to straighten out two (2) outer tailgate skins. A little here, a little there, but they're both pretty close.
Long story short...
Mine was WAY trashed, so I bought a "decent" (7 out of 10) wagon tailgate about 3 years ago. So, I took mine apart, the wagon one apart, hammered out the dents in the wagon tailgate, cut the top rail (where the trim mounts) off the inner skin of mine, welded it to the wagon inner skin (which was MUCH nicer), and then proceeded to work out the dents and patch trim holes.
In the meantime I decided to see if I could save my old outer skin, as the one on the "parts car" project was just as bad as, or worse than, my original. So, I've been working over 2 outers and one inner at the same time. A couple hours a night, a couple nights a week.
Think I have them both pretty good by now, should have final block sand done by the weekend on everything. In the meantime we have also sanded the rest of the body on the "parts car" down to bare metal in most places (to get the surface rust out), and then rattled in primer to slow further deterioration. The dents are still there, but at least it's not rotting away. This was kind of important to me, because my older brother wants me to drag the "parts car" over to his place and leave it with him. He's going to do the body work and probably blow a coat of white paint on it. Should be a reasonable paint job for a kid's car. Says he'll need "2 weeks" to do it, which tells me it'll be more like a month or so (been there, done that before). Works for me though, 'cause we're trading it out. (I gave him my Windsor stroker short block and narrowed 9" rear in trade for bodywork and other stuff, trying to keep as much as possible in the family and low-buck, everyone's back gets scratched.)
Also, ordered a refurb distributor from AutoDweebs. They called today and it's in. Going to install that in the "parts car", and then get a Pertronix kit for it.

My new engine for my project is ready (C8 200, .040 over, balanced, zero-decked, 274/274 cam, adjustable rockers, milled and cc'd head, pocket ported, 2-barrel direct mount, etc...), but I just haven't had time to pick it up yet. Maybe by Friday, but we'll see.
Kid has also spent a few hours under my car during the days and has ran my new front and rear parking brake canles, so that's closer now too. Also, finally have the front suspenson and brakes done on mine, finally. Just need a new tilt column and it'll be good to go. Now I'm sorting out tranny stuff on it (to go T5, or not to go T5, that is the question...)

Like I said, it's been "baby steps", but we're getting there.
A mandatory I still have to deal with is the seat belts for both. But, once we get to that stage the "parts car" should be ready for the kid to drive, even though it won't really have much of an interior. We'll handle that afterward.
However, at this point, right now, it's already:
New engine (the Bal/Blued Clifford with a Weber 38/38 DGBV)
Decent C4 tranny
B&M QuikSilver Floor shifter
All electrical works
All new brakes and lines (except rear pads, they were fine)
Correct driveshaft
Refurbed radiator
Bodywork in progress
Floors almost done
New tires (14" on stock Mustang 4-lug rims)

Like I said, baby steps, but we're getting there.
:)

69.5Mav

Post #58 by 69.5Mav » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:37 am

Sounds Good. It's nice when your son starts taking an active part. You can then teach him all your tricks and soon he'll be taking care of your cars for you.

PhantomAce

Post #59 by PhantomAce » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:55 am

Well, things got interesting with regards to "my" engine, but it ties into the "Parts Car" this thread is about...

Got a call late last week from the machine shop building mine. Apparently, after they torqued the head down the shop help "kid" went to lift it off the stand, and a crack developed in the water pump hole.
I went and looked, and yeah, it's there. Right below the passenger side front head bolt, just above the water pump bolt hole. There's a bit of casting flash that was really rough inside the large hole the water pump vane pokes into, and it started a small split right. Honestly, I probably never would have seen it, and it may have never been an issue, at least not for a while. But, the shop manager is a straight-up guy and called me for a meeting.
Wasn't caught on magnaflux, 'cause it wasn't there yet. Probably happened when the kid lifted it (I'd bet he chained up to the head, bad move/learning experience).

He made it VERY clear that it was his issue, not mine, but wanted my opinion on how I thought we should handle it. So... today I dropped off the block we pulled out of the "Parts Car". Believe it or not, it appears to be "virgin", still has stock bore pistons in it.They're going to tank it out, magnaflux it, bore it to .040, mill the deck, install the already balanced rotating assembly, cam, lifters, etc... from mine in it, and then long-block it out complete with the wicked head they built for me, just like they were doing on the original engine (the one I had in "my" 'chero from the early 80's that is now cracked).
And, yes, the head looks trick. They brazed the log up, milled it down, and then installed the 2V plate and flow matched it to the log. I can't wait to fire it up and try it out...
Everything is under warranty, just set me back some time, and I don't have a "spare" block anymore. I could have made him find another block, and, frankly, he told me he was already looking for one locally. But, I already have one, and the guy HAS been straight up. Besides, it gets it out of my way without feeling guilty about just pitching it.
However, I have to say, even with the issue, this guy has treated me OK so far. I know for a fact he WAY under-quoted the build, but he has stuck with it. The only reason it took this long was I knew he under-quoted, so I told him to take his time, as I wasn't/couldn't pay extra.

Here's the ironic part (and how it ties into this thread):
The "Parts Car" for my son got the "hot" Clifford engine, originally bought for mine. And "my" car is going to end up with the block, as well as oil pan and valve cover, from his, but with the rotating assembly from mine (and new CI cam, lifters, 2V adapter, etc...) when I was about his age (OK, 5 years older or so).
Strange days.
New build on my engine should be ready next Friday...

69.5Mav

Post #60 by 69.5Mav » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:57 am

Hate to be a nag but any news?

BetsyBabe64

Post #61 by BetsyBabe64 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:33 pm

post some pictures plz :nod:

PhantomAce

Post #62 by PhantomAce » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:49 pm

69.5Mav & BetsyBabe64:

Not much progress on the "parts car" project last couple weeks.
Been mostly working on my car project.
Son has been under mine prepping, while I've been working top-side.
So far he has pulled the fuel tank, wire-wheeled it, and gone to town on the underside with a needle-scaler while the tank is out of the way. Plan is to have the tank back in next weekend, with all the cables and lines underneath from the firewall back to the rear of the car finished.

Meanwhile, I have been running the sand-blasting box.
Have stripped, primed and shot a coat of the applicable color on the door hinges, tailgate hinges, fasteners and brackets for what he's working on underneath, Z-bar clutch linkage assembly (in case I need it for mine), latch plates, pulleys, etc...
Plus, while I've been at it I have taken a lot of the bits and pieces not re-used on mine and cleaned them up, painted them and put them on the shelf to re-use for his car later. (Take off old/ugly, put on freshly checked, cleaned and painted parts instead as we work on different things later, mostly front suspension stuff.)

One of the reasons we stopped on his car was I found a 1962 floor pan from a Futura 2-door in CA that I'm thinking of buying. Complete with the tranny crossmember my early '61 doesn't have, plus the console brackets still on the tunnel inside. It's in pretty good shape, and cheap ($50 for the whole floor), but the trick will be getting it here. If I buy that, then there isn't much point in welding more patches on his floor if we have to cut it back out to drop in original Ford metal, and I think we might be going that route.
Still undecided, but no point going further on that area until we decide.
If I buy the floor, we'll cut the left and right sides of the front half off complete and put them in his car, and I'll take the tranny tunnel for mine. (I just need the cross-member and a patch piece for the old shifter hole in the tunnel, plus I'll keep the console brackets for one of the 2 bread-box consoles I have, I only have one set of brackets right now.)
From the back half we'll take the box that runs pillar-to-pillar under the back window in the Ranchero's and put that in kid's car, and I'll take the rest of the floor and try to adapt what I can to the rust sections I still need to address in the bed of mine.

Essentially, it should work out pretty good if we do it, but the shipping is the glitch, so it's still up in the air at the moment. Until it is decided and/or the floor is here we'll just keep plugging away on other items I guess...

As for pictures... I guess I'll have to get a free image hosting account working, eh?
I used to have a photo-bucket account, but got tired of their lame/constant advertising pop-ups. Maybe I'll get a shot of the 2 jalopies next to each other next time we pull his around to work on it in the garage.

PhantomAce

Post #63 by PhantomAce » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:15 am

OK... Here's a few pictures of mine, as it has progressed.
Hoping to get a few of mine up next to the "parts car" soon.
Today we spent most of the day just trying to get brackets off the bumpers for both cars, and then stripping them and painting them. No pics of that yet, but here's a little bit of a primer...

http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww31 ... C01113.jpg
http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww31 ... C06529.jpg
http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww31 ... 2-1106.jpg
http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww31 ... 2-2038.jpg
http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww31 ... C06284.jpg

PhantomAce

Post #64 by PhantomAce » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:23 pm

Well, things got interesting right after my last post, like literally a couple hours after...

Oldest son went to San Generro Festivities with some friends that night. And, after they got done with that, they "decided" to do a little off-roading. The driver (not my kid) took the 5 of them off running through the dirt, at night (pitch black out), in a diesel Ford Excursion, not a very bright move. Apparently missed a turn out in the middle of nowhere and they launched the SUV.
A couple hours later the parents of the 19-yo driver, owners of the car, showed up at our door with my son (about 2:30 AM).
The Excursion is probably totaled.
Only injury in the whole thing was my son, he smashed his nose either on the roof or the door window (he was seated right behind the driver). Could have been much worse, but that's beside the point.
Complicating things, he had surgery on his nose just over a year ago to straighten out/rebuild his sinuses and nasal cavities. He was born with a cleft, and we knew early on that he would need surgery, but it was intentionally postponed until after puberty specifically to avoid medical complications and weird growth patterns if it happened too early.
Wife just finished the appointment with the surgeon that did the work before, and it appears he's going to need surgery again, probably within the next week or so, they're trying to work out the scheduling now.
Needless to say, I'm not real happy with some of the choices the kids made, and I'm obviously more concerned with getting my kid back healthy than I am with working on the cars right now.
Probably won't be doing much with the cars, at least anything that requires his assistance and/or involvement, for a while. I don't think paint dust, dirt, welding fumes, etc... would be a very smart thing to subject his nose too until he's healed. Dust masks are fine and dandy, but we all know they don't catch everything, and I don't think he could even wear one right now anyway. Safety first is something that must be observed.

Needless to say, I am not impressed, but we were all kids once, right?

Teenagers... :roll:

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #65 by ludwig » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:35 pm

That surgery is on the driver's nickel, of course. That is what 'medical payments' is all about. Good luck. "Bad choices" does not erase financial responsibility. Sorry about that. Hope it is a lesson learned, anyway.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

69.5Mav

Post #66 by 69.5Mav » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:40 am

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have a 30 year old son myself and Ido worry about him at times but he a good son.

PhantomAce wrote:Oldest son went to San Generro Festivities with some friends that night. And, after they got done with that, they "decided" to do a little off-roading.

Your son may have went along because he felt trapped and had no other choice but walking home. If I were you I would tell him that next time step out of the car and I'll come get you no questions asked. That way he has a choice and can exorsize better judgement next time. Probably won't be a next time but you never know.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #67 by ludwig » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:59 am

If I were you I would tell him that next time step out of the car and I'll come get you no questions asked. That way he has a choice and can exercise better judgement next time.

Excellent suggestion.

PhantomAce

Post #68 by PhantomAce » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:52 am

ludwig:
It's been turned in to their Auto Insurance already. Now it's just a matter of getting them to pay in a timely manner, as he IS going to need surgery. Probably within the next few days once the doctor gets it scheduled. I'm guessing by Friday at the latest. Hopefully the insurance battle won't be too difficult, but I have a feeling it will be, they always are...

69.5Mav:
Good suggestion, but that has always been the rule. He knows I'll come get him if he feels it's necessary to keep from getting in over his head. Bottom line is he CHOSE to go along, and that was a bad choice. I'm not riding him too hard over it, as he's realized the error, and is paying for it now in pain and disruption, but he's well aware that his choice is the whole reason he's in this situation right now.

Just glad he's generally OK, for the most part anyway. It could have been a lot worse.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #69 by ludwig » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:27 am

Kids. They'd be so much better off if they just did what we say and didn't bring their own personality to the table.

addo
VIP Member

Post #70 by addo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:29 pm

Parents. They'd be so much better off if they just did what we say and didn't bring their own personality to the table.

Fixed.

:rolflmao:

I've had a few smashed noses; it's a hassle when hayfever kicks in but otherwise you get used to it.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #71 by ludwig » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:37 pm

The biggest advantage of having adult children: You can tell the rest of those really good stories that you had to suppress for 20 years.

PhantomAce

Post #72 by PhantomAce » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:02 am

addo:
True, everybody's had "smashed noses" at some point, but with this kid it's a bit more of an issue.
He was born with a cleft lip. Sounds minimal, but it really isn't...
A cleft is actually a symmetry issue. From day-1 he needed multiple surgeries. He had his lip and left nostril stitched before he was 2 weeks old. Then he had it worked on again when he was about 3 years old. Oral surgeries to remove extra teeth growing out of the roof of his mouth between 8 & 12 years old, then 4 years (and about $12-k out of pocket) worth of braces trying to get his teeth shifted around to where they were supposed to be. (His "front teeth" were basically shifted to where his right front tooth was pretty much past where his canine was supposed to be.)
His nose has always been a mess. He could only breath out of his left nostril, his right was entirely closed with bone growth, and, at the same time, his left sinuses were exposed (no bone between the cavity and the soft tissue).
Basically, in the words of his nose/face surgeon last year, his nose is "complicated". The surgeon cut, carved, moved, shaved, etc... everything in his face, and then installed a plate over his left sinuses to get them working "properly".
So, now, the problem really isn't just a matter of a "smashed nose", it's a matter of getting everything back into place, again, as he had not yet fully healed from the original surgery last year. It's a mess in there. Allergies are the least of his worries right now. He's bleeding daily, and has a piece of bone sticking out and blocking his right nasal passage.
In a couple years he'll probably be joking about it, but right now he's a mess, and we're just trying to get a new surgery arranged, which still hasn't happened. I was hoping for it by the end of this week, but it's looking like "maybe" next Tuesday or Wednesday, should know more tomorrow.
In the meantime, he's a bit of a mess.

The funny thing is that, even beyond everything that has happened, and how he feels, we were actually outside tonight cutting/grinding stripped bolts so that we could get the tailgate off his car so we could get to work straightening out the panel.
The kid's a trooper...

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #73 by woodbutcher » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:54 pm

:) Hi PhantomAce.Glad to hear that your son is doing as well as can be expected.Want to wish him the best for a full and complete and quick recovery.Love the project.
Got a suggestion for the name of the `Chero."Pheonix".It has risen from the ashses.
Back when WE were young,I guess we thought we were "Ten feet tall and bullet proof".
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".
Otto von Bismarck

PhantomAce

Post #74 by PhantomAce » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:23 am

woodbutcher:
Thanks for the thoughts, I will tell him.
We had another appointment with the surgeon the other day, and his preference at this point is for us to wait until everything has healed up solid, and then go in and reshape. Looks like he's going to end up just having to deal with it until some time shortly after Thanksgiving, but he should be fine. Bleeding has stopped, swelling is down, and he's breathing out of both sides again, just not "real well" out of the right nostril. Plus, there's a noticable bump at the top of that nostril. A little reshaping and some healing time and he should be good to go...

As for "Phoenix"...I like it, but he doesn't. He's dead set on license plates that say PRTSCAR, as we have referred to that car as "the parts car" since the day I got it, and he finds it ironic that it is actually running first... He even wants to airbrush a little picture of a box of Falcon parts on the front fenders behind the wheels.
Thanks again for the idea though!

Car Update:
Spent yesterday dealing with the tailgate. Mostly just sorting out the little square "nuts" that Ford pressed in to bolt the inner and outer together. What a pain in the... well you get the idea.
He's using my old tailgate outer, but his original inner. (I picked up a complete and fairly clean tailgate from a wagon for mine some time ago.) So, we knocked out the nuts that had screws broken off in them, and any that were "loose" (only ONE nut was left in by time we were done), from my old outer and his original outer, and then went to town wire-wheeling the rust off them, and chasing the threads with a 10-32 tap.
Once that was done, we fished a wire with a 10-32 bolt on it through each hole, put a nut on the bolt, then pulled it back in place from the inside. Then one of us would hold it in position with the wire while the other tack welded it in permanently.
After that was done I finished addressing the cracks/weak spots around the hinge mounting points, and then we hit everything with a grinder to clean up the welds everywhere. Took about 6 hours (yeah, I know, we're slow...), but it's finally done from a structural standpoint.
Plan today is to rattle on some primer and paint on the inside of both tailgate halves to prevent future rust, and then lay a bead of sealer in the channel so it can cure and make a gasket. Once that cures we can bolt it back together and get it back on his car.
I bought some hardened allenhead screws for both cars from Fastenal to replace the lame gigantic philips-head screws Ford used on the tailgate hinges and latches, and even managed to get the funky v-shaped locking crush washers to fit them. So when we put them both back together we won't ever have to deal with those huge stripped out screw heads when we go to install them on the cars.

I found a place that has the same fabric that is on the bucket seats I bought for mine years ago. It is ever so slightly lighter than what is on the seats, but I think it is simply an age and/or dye-lot issue. It really is THAT close.
Anyway, bought the material, foam, some spray contact glue and a sheet of 1/8" masonite, and now we have upholstered door panels.
Took all of about 4 hours and $80 in material, and we have 4 door panels (both cars worth) cut and upholstered. Still need to make up speaker pods for the front and back of the doors which we will cover in black vinyl, with an elastic edged vinyl pocket sewn in between them under the armrest. Should dress up the panels nicely, breaking up the fact that they're currently just one big chunk of material, and add some usability (pocket) as well.
(Yes, we're putting rear fill speakers in the bottom rear of the doors, not under the shelf or in the shelf. We're both only going to have a small sub-woofer enclosure, amp and crossovers behind the seats under the shelf.)

I also found a guy that had 2 sets of '62 Futura armrests WITH the stainless that I got for $60. The armrests were, in his words, "throw aways", but he knew the stainless was the hard thing to get. Well, guess what... $18 for a vinyl repair kit and a little black vinyl dye I already had... and all four have been repaired. I took the stainless off and cleaned it up, then patched the cracks in the vinyl, re-dyed them black (there were 2 red, 1 aqua blue, and 1 black to begin with), and reassembled. One pair came out really good, the other pair is "pretty good". I'm using the good ones on mine, and later I'll get a set of re-pops, and give mine to my son for his car. In the meantime, they look pretty good for both cars, considering we're in them each for about $20 apiece and a total of 2 or 3 hours. Just the repop armrests without the stainless are $40 each everywhere I have seen them, and NOBODY makes the stainless inserts.

Oh, we also pulled his car around on the driveway last weekend and re-installed the rear leafs CORRECTLY. Now they're positioned properly, and the shackles aren't jacked up against the frame-rail. It had been years since I had even looked at a set of leafs from an installation standpoint, and we just boned-it-up the first time. We simply removed them, then installed them on the shackles FIRST, put a floor jack under them about where the rear axle mounts, and then lifted the front into place while I took a pry bar and flexed the nose of them down to meet the eye for the main mounting bolt at the front. Once everything was back in place the shackles were in their proper orientation, and they move rearward with any deflection of the rear end now. Brand new rear springs, brand new shocks, and everything feels much better back there!

So, we're making progress again, little by little.
Hopefully we'll have at least one of these cars good enough to register at some point here soon... In any case, we're having fun at least.

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #75 by woodbutcher » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:45 am

:) Hi PA.How goes it with your Son?Hope all is well with him.How are you coming with the Chero?The best to all.
Leo

Otto von Bismarck

PhantomAce

Post #76 by PhantomAce » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:28 pm

woodbutcher:
Thanks for asking...
Son still hasn't had his surgery yet. By the time we got the insurance company to start moving the Surgeon got concerned about it being too long after the injury date. So, he decided that at that point we were better off waiting for the break to heal, and then go in and reshape it. It's still giving the kid fits, but not as bad as initially. Biggest issue is he has a protrusion from one nostril that is a bit painful, and he's still bleeding occasionally from it as well. It's looking like surgery will be in December, if we can get the surgery scheduled. Still waiting for the insurance company to finish their paperwork and pay the claim out, but the amount has been agreed on already.
They screwed up in one thing though...
I told them very clearly in the beginning that if they could get things moving all we would be concerned with is getting him medically repaired, but that if they drug it out I wasn't going to be so nice.
Well... they drug it out and got me "angry" (to put it politely). Once we had to postpone the surgery, due to their dragging it out, I went for the throat. Should see the settlement out of them within the next week or so, and I battled them out on the amount. Got enough coming to take care of all the medical, AND buy the kid a "driver" car for him to use while we finish the 'chero, AND probably pay a couple years of Community College education for him too.
(And, no, I didn't hire an attorney, I negotiated it myself.)

As for the project(s):
We have the tailgate repairs done, have primed and painted it inside (both panels), and ran a bead of RTV around the sealing edge of the inner panel. Should be nice and quiet once it's bolted back together, which will probably be tomorrow night.
We're having an issue keeping enough fuel to the carb (Weber DGBV 38/38), and I'm thinking the little stock glass-bowl pump just can't feed enough for the engine. It's putting out, and not leaking, but just doesn't seem able to keep up. We put the Clifford 200 I had built years ago in his car, and it is pretty heavily modified (276/276 cam, 1.75/1.50 valves, 1.6 rocker, milled head, zero-decked, balanced and blue'd, etc...), so I'm of the opinion that the stock 144/170 pump that was only meant to supply for about 100-hp at the flywheel originally just can't keep up with demand.
Been debating on whether to pick up a pump for a later 200 or 250, or just putting in an electric pump. Think we'll go electric, but still not decided for sure.

That's about as far as we have gotten so far. We're making progress, but it's slow going.

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #77 by woodbutcher » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:06 pm

:) Hi PA.Thanks for the update.Sounds like things are going well for Son AND project.
Son of course is first and foremost.God bless you and yours.
Leo

Otto von Bismarck

69.5Mav

Post #78 by 69.5Mav » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:18 pm

Hows it going?

PhantomAce

Post #79 by PhantomAce » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:15 am

Well, we completely flipped everything around on the drivetrain's of the cars.

Son's C4 was having a few leak issues, so I had him drain it and pull the pan so we could try to seal it up better. It appeared to be leaking around the edge of the pan, but we thought it might also be leaking at the linkage (more on that in a moment...). In the process of pulling the pan to reseal it we found a piece of what I believe was a melted piece of the seal from around the shift lever laying in the pan. I think he got it too hot when he cut the stock shift lever to install the QuickSilver linkage arm. Then, to add insult to injury, he stripped 2 of the pan bolts somehow.
So, we yanked the engine and trans out about a week ago. The engine had a couple of cosmetic issues that needed dealing with anyway (some scaley rust on the front from an early fire-up thermostat housing leak, for example).
In the meantime, MY engine still wasn't ready (his old block), and we were getting really close to my self-imposed fire-up deadline. Our goal has always been to have my car "run" by Dec-16th, as that is exactly 50-years to the day from when it was built in San Jose, CA. So, it was decided that we were going to put the Clifford in my car (as originally purchased for) and the new build from his block back in his car,
I dropped the C4 off at the trans shop Monday, it's getting a full rebuild including a bigger pump, V8 packs and bands, and a shift kit. They're also going to put some inserts in the pan bolt holes and seal it back up properly. It's supposed to be ready by tomorrow, but we'll see I guess. (In this town it seems like you never get anything auto related back from a shop on time, or even close to it.)
Then, we took the Clifford engine, pulled the water pump and T-stat housing, cleaned and repainted them, touched up the block, and put everthing back together and sealed it all up with new gaskets.
Last night I took the SROD bell, the 2-bolt starter, and the Clifford headers and mocked them up to see how everything fit. It's really close there at the starter/header spot, but it does clear, barely. (It doesn't clear on the C4.) That sealed the deal, the Clifford is going back in my car, and he's getting the fresh build with Classic Inline parts in his.
We ordered a Stainless Header, Carb Hat, and DUI ignition from Mike, and that's all going on his engine, which also already has Classic Inlines cam and valvertrain internals in it, as well as the milled head, zero-deck, bigger valves, pocket port, and a direct mount 2-barrel. Hopefully it can all go together back in his car with the fresh C4 over Christmas Break.
Tonight, however, we installed the flywheel on mine, put in a fresh pilot bearing for the T5 that I bought from "jahearne" here on the board (hopefully arriving next few days), and put the engine back in my car with the SROD mounted behind it just to support the engine. (We put a piece of angle iron that used to be my tranny mount in the car from years ago to carry the weight.)
Spent the rest of the evening getting the starter and headers back on it, installing the carb, putting together a makeshift wiring harness just to fire it up, etc...
We had it fire up very briefly (dribbled a couple drops of gas in the carb, so it was only a about a second's worth), but now we're ready to finish getting a fuel system and radiator in it tomorrow, and the battery is charging up right now. We could have ran it tonight, but it was getting so late I was afraid I would P.O. the neighbors. At least now it's ready for it's birthday crank up on Thursday night...
Would have been nice to have it ready to actually "move" by then, but it just wasn't in the stars I guess. Still, it should be "breathing" that night.

Yeah, I know, we can never seem to stay on path, but we're having fun! :beer:

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #80 by bubba22349 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:46 am

:wow: :thumbup: Good job that's another way to skin that old cat :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

PhantomAce

Post #81 by PhantomAce » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:20 am

I posted this right after my last post about the Rancheros, but for some reason it didn't "take". My apologies in advance if it's a repeat...

Forgot to mention:
Since my son's Ranchero has been turning into a full on build, and taking forever, we decided to keep watching for the right deal on a "driver" for him at the same time.
It had to be something he liked, had to be cheap, and had to be operable.

Well, we found one, and we're picking it up hopefully this weekend...

Found a '77 Maverick 2-door.
It's manual "everything" except steering. Has a 250 in it with a 3-on-the-tree manual trans.
No A/C, no power brakes (but it is disc front at least), no tilt/cruise/PW/PL/etc...
But, it DOES have what appears to be factory bucket seats (which I found weird without having a floor shifter), and it already has a fresh Holley 2-barrel on an intake log adapter.
Runs good, no leaks at all that we could find, no rust, and the body is really straight for it's age. Just a couple of dings and one dent in the bottom of the passenger quarter behind the tire (about softball size, looks like the tire lost a belt at speed and hit it hard enough to dent it), and that's about it. Had him crawl all underneath it to inspect the floors, and couldn't even find a pin-hole. It does need a grill, as the one that's there is cracked pretty badly, but that's about it as far as body damage. The seats need reupholstering, the dash pad is cracked, and there is one hole in the headliner, but the interior hard parts are all there.

The guy we're buying it from bought it for HIS teenage son about a month ago, and the kid doesn't like it. :shock:
We're picking it up for $600... 8)

My son has already told me he wants to drive the Maverick until his Ranchero is finished, then he wants to turn the Maverick into a hot rod. Wants to pull the 250 and 3.03 and put in a 302 with a T5, add A/C, redo the interior and paint it. He's already scoping out fiberglass 1970-1972 style bumpers for it.

I think I've created a monster...

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #82 by bubba22349 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:20 pm

I think I've created a monster...

Yeah it looks like you did :nod: in my book that not a bad thing though. I have a 77 Maverick they are great I found a set buckets for mine they are harder to find somtimes to fit the later floor pan (75- 77) has an indent for clearance were the cat is. I don't think the late models ever came with a floor shift. Good score :thumbup:

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

PhantomAce

Post #83 by PhantomAce » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:29 am

Well, I crawled under mine and installed the header flanges tonight, and, kind of as anticipated... the flange for one of the header outs is right next to the idler arm, not good...
So, I'm off tomorrow to find a couple of 22-1/2 or 30 degree bent flanges with long tubes.
I can fire it up tomorrow (our deadline/car birthday) the way it is, and I KNOW the engine will run (it already has in his car), but I really don't want to roast a brand new idler arm with hot exhaust directly on it in the process if I can avoid it.
Went to AutoDweebs tonight, and they didn't have any bent flanges to fit, but our "usual" contact there gave me the name and number for an owner of a muffler shop that can probably knock a couple of pieces out for me in the morning. (He swears this guy is an "artist", we'll see...)
The car IS going to fire-up and rap-up tomorrow, idler arm burns or not, but I'd really rather not trash that part by burning it with a direct open header exhaust almost directly on it if I can avoid it. I'll make the sacrifice, but only if I have to in order to make the date.
In the meantime, we pulled the under engine crossbrace, motor mount pads, and shock tower caps off of the kid's "parts car" project this evening. Going to try to fire up the compressor and sandblaster this weekend, clean them up and repaint them. Then he's going to get busy on cutting out the old export braces, pulling the old column/steering box, and then he can start cleaning and repainting the engine compartment in his Ranchero (the "parts car").
I have already "freshened up" my old column/steering box (repacked internally, stripped and repainted exterior). That assembly will go in his car, along with the new export brace assembly and Monte Carlo bar we have on the way (FalconParts/Macs respectively).
Now I guess I'm off on a search and destroy for a tilt column for mine that'll work, as I have no steering column at this point. I put a '67 Mustang box in mine long ago, but just haven't ordered a column yet

Oh, and the kid's already asking where the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks "his" Maverick is...

Sidenote:
As expected, the tranny shop did NOT have the C4 ready this evening as promised, big shock there.
Not the end of the world, we really aren't ready to put it in the kid's car anyway, but it still just irritates me a bit...

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #84 by bubba22349 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:20 pm

How's the birthday party going? :hmmm:

Sidenote:
As expected, the tranny shop did NOT have the C4 ready this evening as promised, big shock there.
Not the end of the world, we really aren't ready to put it in the kid's car anyway, but it still just irritates me a bit...

That also use to tick me off if there was not a good reason for it :nod:

PhantomAce

Post #85 by PhantomAce » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:28 pm

Well, we fired up the Clifford 6 tonight, so the "Birthday Party" happened.
Only ran it for about 10 seconds, as I didn't have the radiator in it. We already put the engine through it's break in cycle when it was mounted in the "parts car", so I wasn't too worried about it running with no coolant for such a short time.

I made a video of it, but I'm not sure if PhotoBucket will host video files or not.
Guess I better go find out...

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #86 by bubba22349 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:56 pm

:thumbup: :beer:

PhantomAce

Post #87 by PhantomAce » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:15 pm

Christmas Day nothing happened, as anticipated/expected, (note: DAY, not late evening...).
However...
On the 23rd and today we accomplished the following:
On the afternoon of the 23rd we pulled the SROD placeholder out of my car, and dropped the T5 & SROD bellhousing off at the machine-shop to get mated together.
Plus, we cut down the Monte Carlo Bar for MY Ranchero. It's been sitting in the corner of the garage collecting dust for about 4 years, and we finally got to the point that we could install it. Darn thing was AT LEAST 5/16" too long. I realize there should be "some" tension, but that was ridiculous. Besides, the horizontal surfaces of the flanges weren't parallel. So, younger son (not the "parts car" holder) and I spent about 3 hours modifying it on that night.
We first ground the outside edge of the end flanges to fit (they were rubbing against the fenders at the inside lip), then, after checking the bar length, we cut the passenger flange off at the weld at the crossbar, ground off all the old weld material on the flange, ground and filed the bar at the right compound angle, and refit it. During the process, we check-fitted everything, and rotated the flanges so they matched up with the fenderwell lips evenly.
After installing/removing/fitting a little better about 3X we finally got it to where it would press-in, with some force (pre-loading the towers), against the mounting flange we had cut off. Then we strapped it down in position against that fenderwall, and tack-welded it in 3 spots. Once it cooled, we pulled it out and welded it back to the flange all the way around. Just finished sanding and repainting it this evening, and it looks pretty good. :D
In the meantime, thing-1 (older son) has been buried on and off in the engine compartment of the "parts car", sanding everything down and getting it cleaned-up for new engine compartment paint. We have a straight-rod (without the carb bend like mine) Monte Carlo Bar for his (already checked the fit of it), as well as new export braces ready to go in. Plus, I have already cleaned-up my old column assembly and shaved the column shift/pointer off of it, so it's also ready for him to install in his car.
Once we repaint his engine compartment, install my old column, various other pieces, and drop his engine and C4 back in he should be good to go. I spent about 3 hours late last night (yeah, Christmas, I know... but wife was already asleep anyway) cleaning up his driveshaft, relubing the U-joints, sanding, repainting the tube, etc...In the meantime, the DUI, Stainless headers, and various pieces from Classic Inlines showed up for his "parts car" on Christmas Eve (timing is everything). This was in addition to the "Custom Autosound" radio to fit it that he didn't know about...

So, in a nutshell: we're finishing up my engine compartment, tearing his apart for paint, and still trying to get both ready to hit the road. The race is on to see which is registered/driving first...
8)

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #88 by bubba22349 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:42 pm

Plus, we cut down the Monte Carlo Bar for MY Ranchero. It's been sitting in the corner of the garage collecting dust for about 4 years, and we finally got to the point that we could install it. Darn thing was AT LEAST 5/16" too long.

Yeah that sure seems to happen when the towers on these old Fords sag inward from gravity and old age. I have seen some that you could not even align the front end until repaired. Usually I push them but into position with a porta power until they are straight (plumb) and reweld them also add make extra bracing plates like were used on the (Boss Mustangs) to beef them up even more. You sure are making lots of progress Keep up the good work :thumbup:

PhantomAce

Post #89 by PhantomAce » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:54 am

bubba:

What's scary is that the kid's Monte Carlo Bar dropped right into my car. And, it's a straight bar (without the carb "hooble"), so I don't think my front is that far off. I believe the "arched" bar I bought for mine years ago was just built lame.
We've already done a complete front suspension in my car, less the final alignment, so I think it's just a matter of the manufacturer screwed up.
After all, the flanges were AT LEAST 5 (maybe 10) degrees off from each other.
Still, I'm not that upset. No matter how you look at it, we're ultimately dealing with a 50 year old car, and aftermarket parts, so eveything is subject to interpretation. In any case though, it would have been nice if it fit a little better (like the other one did).
Regardless, we're moving forward...

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #90 by bubba22349 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:36 am

I believe the "arched" bar I bought for mine years ago was just built lame.

Dose this bar have a small half circle in the middle? If so it is for a V8 car so you can pull distrib without having to take the bar off.

PhantomAce

Post #91 by PhantomAce » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:50 am

The "half circle" is actually set off to the passenger side for carb/air filter clearance.
It was designed for a straight-6 car, but it was just too darn long.
Now it's just right.... 8)
I'll post pics soon, and it will all make sense.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #92 by bubba22349 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:57 am

Okay have not seen that type before, just a straight bar and the V8 moded bar

PhantomAce

Post #93 by PhantomAce » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:35 pm

OK... here's a video of the Clifford-200 getting fired up in my Ranchero on it's 50th birthday last month.
(Car was built Dec-16, 1960 in San Jose, CA.)

http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww31 ... U00290.mp4

Don't laugh too much at us... :lol:

cballard1972

Post #94 by cballard1972 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:45 am

That was the coolest video I have watched in a long time. Congrats. The engine looks amazing :beer:
65 Falcon 4dr sedan 200CID
63 Galaxy Fastback Project
04 Mustang Convertible

PhantomAce

Post #95 by PhantomAce » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:29 pm

Bubba:
Per your earlier question, here's a couple of pictures of the Monte Carlo Bar.
I spoke with Rosie @ FalconParts abut it, and she said they don't carry it any more. Apparently there was "insufficient demand", so when they sold what they had they never ordered any more of them. Glad I got one when I did.

Image Image

In other news...
I heed HELP!!!
Trying to find a source for the "foil" behind the knobs of the '63 Evaporator I have.
I spoke with ClassicAutoAir regarding, and they want $400 to refurb just the front chrome piece. I can get the pitting and chrome work done for less locally I think, but I have no clue where I can find the foil.
If you look at the pictures, the foil around the Fan knob has a couple dings in it at the top, and the foil around the Temp knob is peeling at the bottom.
Anyone have any ideas?

Image Image Image

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #96 by bubba22349 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:57 pm

I do like that bar, have not seen that 6 version :thumbup:

A couple ideas, the dash instrument repair companies used to have a process to make decals to renew gauges. A friend told me some time back that you can print gauge faces with your computer too have not tried to do it as yet. Maybe other types of buss that does these things, like a silk screening or photo etching. You could also just chrome those old ones and find a pin striper to detail and letter them.

PhantomAce

Post #97 by PhantomAce » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:23 pm

Well, another Falcon guy asked if I would be willing to part with the evap, so I did. Son and I have decided to do modern "in-dash" systems in both cars instead, with the heater and the A/c in one housing. So, the foils are no longer needed for me. But, if anyone has any ideas on source, please let me know anyway, and I'll pass the info along to the new owner of the evap.

That said... Here's a quick update on where we're at with both cars:
Son has stripped his engine compartment with a wire wheel, sanded it down, primed it, and then rattle can painted it '97 Ford Oxford White.
We picked his engine and my T5 up from the machine shop on Saturday, and then got his engine mated up to his C4 and everything ready to put it in the car.
Hopefully it'll get installed next couple days. (He says he's putting in tomorrow after school, but we'll see.)
Here's his engine compartment, and the engine/tranny as they sit tonight:
Image Image Image Image

And, here's a couple quick shots of the T5 for my project car with the SROD bell housing mated to it by the same machine shop:
Image Image
Once we get the engine & trans dropped in the Parts Car, then we'll see if we can't get the T5 stabbed into mine shortly there after.

PhantomAce

Post #98 by PhantomAce » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Engine went into the "Parts Car" yesterday.
Here's a few shots:
The first picture is just because it is the only picture so far that happens to have both Ranchero's in it, so I thought I'd throw it in there. I took it right after we pushed the "Parts Car" around to the driveway. Please forgive all the boxes in the back of mine in the garage...
The last picture is my 2 boys after engine install was done. The one on the left in the hat is the car owner, on the right is his younger brother.

Don't laugh at us too much!

Image Image Image Image

Image Image

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #99 by ludwig » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Laugh? Ha! That is gorgeous. I love the white bay. That engine really pops in there. Super.

PhantomAce

Post #100 by PhantomAce » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:39 pm

Just a fast update...

Well, we decided to work on "My" project today. So, we decided to get the clutch in and the T5 on the back of the engine so I can start mocking up a cross member for it.
Everything was going great until... son broke one of the pressure plate bolts off in the flywheel.
Torque spec is 12-to-20 according to the Falcon manual, and we had the torque wrench set at 18 at the time (last stage), so either the bolt was already weak, or the torque wrench has issues. In any case, had to pull the flywheel back off so we can get the bolt out of it. Will be replacing ALL of the bolts, and probably going to get a new torque wrench too.
In the meantime, the 500-cfm Holley for the "Parts Car" project showed up (thanks Gene Fiore!), so we scrapped working on mine for the day, and moved on to working on the kid's car. Trying to sort throttle linkage out tonight and tomorrow hopefully. Will deal with the flywheel for mine on Monday or Tuesday I guess. (Too disgusted to deal with it right now, might start throwing things.)