Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Does anyone rebuild door hinges?

Moderator: Mod Squad

PhantomAce

Does anyone rebuild door hinges?

Post #1 by PhantomAce » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:25 pm

I've got rebuild kits from FalconParts.com to do my doors, but no press...
Need to have 4 doors worth done (both my Ranchero, and the parts car Ranchero that we're putting in service for my kid).
Thinking that it's possible someone knows of a shop that can press them apart, re-bush and pin them, and put them back together reasonable?

If not, has anyone managed to do this without a press, and if so, how did you do it?
Mine: '61 chero, Clifford 200, E0 head (1.75/1.50, 1.6 rocker), 276 Cam, H-W 38/38, CI 6-to-2 header, T5, front disc, Shelby drop, 8" 3.0-posi, buckets/console, 15" TorqThrust's. Still building...
Son's "Parts Car": '61 chero, local built 200, C9 head (1.75/1.50, 1.5 rocker), 274 cam, 2V direct, Clifford 6-to-2 header, C4, B&M QuickSilver, stock rear and susp (for now).

80broncoman
Global Moderator

Re: Does anyone rebuild door hinges?

Post #2 by 80broncoman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:20 pm

So what is in the rebuild kit ?
Bushings or bushing and pins.
If it has new pins you could just use a torch or grinder to get the pins free. I always am a little leery of using a press with parts like hinges
but yours may be different from what I am pictureing in my mind.
OAPSE Union Member

Real men don't wear Bowties
When it come to engines If its .001 loose nobody knows, But if its .001 too tight EVERYBODY KNOWS!!
80 bronco FUV (farm utility vehicle)300 T-18 3.50s EFI head, offy C dual plenum, 500 edel carb, 1.7 roller rockers, Crane 260 cam EFI Exh

aribert

Post #3 by aribert » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:26 am

While I now have a press, back then I just used the 6 inch vise on my workbench - the same one that I use to press U-joints and the like. The force to remove the pin is not particularily great.
61 , Deluxe trim & original 54 yr old factory padded dash. Custom interior, stock color base/clear, 275K mi, My car for the last 47 years (OK, first decade "ownership" from the left rear seat). '78 200, 3.03 manual trans, '73 dist w/ points & TFI ign, Weber32/36, 15 wheels Image

91 F150 4.9 almost stock

jamyers
VIP Member

Post #4 by jamyers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:42 pm

I used a hammer on mine, not that hard to do.
James - '62 Ranchero (200cid), '71 LeSabre (464cid)

The ONLY safety device we need is a 6" sharpened steel spike bolted to the center of the steering wheel of EVERY vehicle.
Emergency Rooms and Funeral Homes will be busy for a week or so, then I predict a dramatic drop in vehicle accidents.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #5 by ludwig » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:51 pm

I bought two of those rebuild kits for my Stang. They have the pin, two brass bushings, a stop cam and a spring. They were very easy to work on and made an immediate difference. For a while.

After a short time, the pin started working its way up and I had to keep pushing it down. It just never managed to stay stuck in the top hole. Then the spring would pop out and the cam stopped catching.

I got a complete hinge and just replaced the whole thing. It was about $25 maybe five or six years ago. No prob with the replacement hinge. The hard part was aligning the door after the hinges went on. The second time, I used a can of spray primer to mark the hinge locations before I took them off ONE HINGE AT A TIME. It was much easier this time.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

PhantomAce

Post #6 by PhantomAce » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Thanks for the input guys!

I do have a small vise here, and that's what we were working with last night.
But, I decided to start with the hardest piece first, figuring if I couldn't get it to cooperate, then I wouldn't rip the rest apart. (I've learned not to have partially assembled pieces laying around to get separated over the years.)
That "hardest part" is the blind pin that holds the check-arm in place. There is no access to the back-side of that pin to press it out from, and the pin is in very solidly, can't seem to get enough of a gap to wedge anything in behind it at the arm.
My thought was a hydraulic press with a splitter that could press in between and force it out, or something like that anyway.

In any case, we're going to tackle it again tonight, and see what we can come up with. Looks like I'll just need to "make" a tool of some sort to work in there. Maybe modify a ball-joint splitter somehow or something?
Dunno...
Mine: '61 chero, Clifford 200, E0 head (1.75/1.50, 1.6 rocker), 276 Cam, H-W 38/38, CI 6-to-2 header, T5, front disc, Shelby drop, 8" 3.0-posi, buckets/console, 15" TorqThrust's. Still building...
Son's "Parts Car": '61 chero, local built 200, C9 head (1.75/1.50, 1.5 rocker), 274 cam, 2V direct, Clifford 6-to-2 header, C4, B&M QuickSilver, stock rear and susp (for now).

aribert

Post #7 by aribert » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:46 am

I did not understand you last post. I just went out to my car during the beginning of lunch and looked at the hinge.

I did not remove the "check" or hold open arm. I only removed the main hinge pin and bushings and reassembled. All that I remember about the hinge repair was that it was a real pain to install the spring. I ended up compressing the spring, running a couple of tie wires thru the spring and tieing the spring in the collapsed condition and then installing the collapsed spring and cutting the tie wires. Note: there is significant energy in a compressed spring and wearing safety glasses would be a good thing.
61 , Deluxe trim & original 54 yr old factory padded dash. Custom interior, stock color base/clear, 275K mi, My car for the last 47 years (OK, first decade "ownership" from the left rear seat). '78 200, 3.03 manual trans, '73 dist w/ points & TFI ign, Weber32/36, 15 wheels Image

91 F150 4.9 almost stock

PhantomAce

Post #8 by PhantomAce » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:33 pm

Aribert:

The issue was the check-strap, or whatever the correct term is for the thin, hinged pieces on the bottom hinge is that connect to the spring and keep the door from opening too far.
One of the pins is accessible to press out, but the other is not (the "blind" pin). So, without some way to get between the "blind" pin and the main hinge body, I had no way of getting them off.
Ended up just drilling out for a grade-8 bolt at the pivot point on the strap and leaving it in place. Pressed out the main hinge pin and replaced it and the bushings and called it good. Really wanted to refurb the whole hinge, but I guess I'll just have to live with the old check-strap being in there.

Thanks for looking at yours and posting the info though!