Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

advice on scheduling the resto

Moderator: Mod Squad

advice on scheduling the resto

Post #1 by Guest » Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:34 am

I am driving myself nuts trying schedule the work I need to do on my daily driver ranchero. I did all the mechanical and the interior is stripped as far as it can go and still be driveable. But now I face the headliner / windshield / paint question. Do I have to put in the headliner while changing the windshield seal. How have others done this. I am imagining taking the ranchero to a glass shop to take out the windshield then installing the headliner while he waits and then getting the windshield back in without messing up the headliner. and by the way I want to paint the dash when the windshield is out also so I can get all the way to the front edge of the dash with the paint. . . see what I mean. Maybe I'll just drive it to work without a windshield for a few weeks.

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #2 by rbohm » Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:19 pm

8) the rubber that holds the windshield in also holds the edge of the headliner. usually what people do is exactly what yoy are planning, have the windshield removed, install the headliner and then have the windshield replaced.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

addo
VIP Member

Post #3 by addo » Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:36 pm

A few small blocks of 1/4" rubber to pad the edges, and duct tape the screen in while driving. Take as long as you please, then. Make sure you "stick" it well.

dwood

Post #4 by dwood » Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:00 pm

The above suggestions are about the only way to go. You need to removethe glass to paint the dash, and you need the edge of the headliner to tuck under the rubber as well. I am not sure how you can do it and drive it regularly. All of the jobs will take a little time each to do.

Darin

addo
VIP Member

Post #5 by addo » Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:22 am

One other point. Here at least, new laminated glass with a tinted top band is cheap. I wouldn't bother reinstalling the old screen when finished.