Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

DRIVETRAIN VIBRATION ON 61' COUPE - need suggestions

Moderator: Mod Squad

DOMER94

DRIVETRAIN VIBRATION ON 61' COUPE - need suggestions

Post #1 by DOMER94 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:09 pm

i just completed the following repairs: removed trans tailshaft / had new bushing pressed in / installed new oil seal , sent driveshaft out to be balanced / new universals installed, while i had crossmember out, i replaced the rubber tailshaft mount.

everything looks and feels tight with no leaks, however im getting a throbbing vibration around 40-45 mph , and again around 55-60.

driveshaft guy said it came off the machine dead on balanced. any ideas where this could be coming from?

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: DRIVETRAIN VIBRATION ON 61' COUPE - need suggestions

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:10 pm

Did you have any of the vib's before you fixed it? Besides the u joints did you also change the yoke? :hmmm: If it did not have the vib before than it has to be the drive shaft itself and or the angels that the u joints operate at. :shock: I.E. height and angles of the axle pinion height up or down, the trans tailhousing up or down and or the side offset of the tailhousing to the pinion's position. Hint: it's not supposed to be a straight line in either plane but you don’t want too much angel either. :nono: You would need to pull a string line at 90 degrees (or shoot a laser) from the side of pinion flange forward and beside the tailhousing for the offset. Also get an angle meter (or use a protractor and draw some lines) on the driveshaft at front and rear joints to see the degrees of offset if everything checks out within spec. then of course it would be a balance problem. Did they install of the u-joint and check the new yoke out they rarely cause trouble but could? Check if the ujoints have grease zerks and their locations I like mine to be positioned at 180 from each other. It may be as simple as loosening up the trans mount and pushing the trans towards the passenger or driver side as much the bolt slots would allow. One other though that since you replaced the trans mount, without the front engine mounts these all might have settled from weight and old age. Now with the new rear mount you have raised the rear of the trans up and to bring it back down into the correct angel spec. You would need to also replace the front mounts raising the front back again and dropping the rear of trans back into it's proper angle and position! :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #3 by rbohm » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:32 pm

8) make sure that the U joints are properly centered, if they are not, the drive shaft will still balance out properly, but the lack of a true orbit for the U joint will cause a vibration.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

DOMER94

Post #4 by DOMER94 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:27 pm

bubba22349 wrote:Did you have any of the vib's before you fixed it? Besides the u joints did you also change the yoke? :hmmm: If it did not have the vib before than it has to be the drive shaft itself and or the angels that the u joints operate at. :shock: I.E. height and angles of the axle pinion height up or down, the trans tailhousing up or down and or the side offset of the tailhousing to the pinion's position. Hint: it's not supposed to be a straight line in either plane but you don’t want too much angel either. :nono: You would need to pull a string line at 90 degrees (or shoot a laser) from the side of pinion flange forward and beside the tailhousing for the offset. Also get an angle meter (or use a protractor and draw some lines) on the driveshaft at front and rear joints to see the degrees of offset if everything checks out within spec. then of course it would be a balance problem. Did they install of the u-joint and check the new yoke out they rarely cause trouble but could? Check if the ujoints have grease zerks and their locations I like mine to be positioned at 180 from each other. It may be as simple as loosening up the trans mount and pushing the trans towards the passenger or driver side as much the bolt slots would allow. One other though that since you replaced the trans mount, without the front engine mounts these all might have settled from weight and old age. Now with the new rear mount you have raised the rear of the trans up and to bring it back down into the correct angel spec. You would need to also replace the front mounts raising the front back again and dropping the rear of trans back into it's proper angle and position! :nod:

thanks for the great info. yes, i had a brand new yoke installed with the new universals. i will check that transverse tailshaft alignment. i remember when i lowever the trans back down , the bung that goes from the crossmember to the bottom of the trans was not in line with the fore-aft line of the car. the zerks are 180 from each other , the motormounts look really good to tell the truth. there doesnt seem to be a really drastic angle at all between trans and rear. i will mess around with it and post back. i have my fingers crossed

kukm66

Post #5 by kukm66 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:02 pm

This is a common problem with Falcons.
Another thing to check is to make sure there is proper clearance between the tailhousing and crossmember.
A common error made on the cantilever spring position is to get it installed upside down.
This causes the tailhousing to contact the crossmember thus transferring vibration.
Usually however this will occur at all speeds.

Other causes:

bad thrust bearing
improper engine alignment in bay
bearing issues in tranny

Is this an automatic or a stick?
1964 Falcon Futura Convertible
1964 Ranchero

DOMER94

Post #6 by DOMER94 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:32 pm

well, i was able to move the trans a bit towards the passenger side. the vibration changed for the better. instead of a throb , it is more constant and less obvious. i checked the alignment of the rear universal and there really isnt any room for it to move from side to side with the c-clips there. i will maybe try to shift the trans some more to see if it changes again.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #7 by bubba22349 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:43 am

well, i was able to move the trans a bit towards the passenger side. the vibration changed for the better. instead of a throb , it is more constant and less obvious.

Great :beer:

i checked the alignment of the rear universal and there really isnt any room for it to move from side to side with the c-clips there. i will maybe try to shift the trans some more to see if it changes again.

There can't be a side to side movement in rear at pinion flange only thing you could change or move is the pinion angle up or down i.e. with a angle shim on the spring pads. :nod: How is the condistion of the rear spring bushings? :hmmm:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

cruzingratiot

Post #8 by cruzingratiot » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:51 pm

Driveline vibration - getting worse, need suggestions
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=62525
read this post above
Donate Life
6-7-04 Liver Transplant Recipitant
http://www.iaod.org/ International Association for Organ Donation
http://www.donatelife.net/ U S A for Organ Donation
Thank You
My Ranchero Album click here