Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Bretts Australian Jan 1961 XK Falcon - 4 door

Moderator: Mod Squad

gb500

Bretts Australian Jan 1961 XK Falcon - 4 door

Post #1 by gb500 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:24 am

thought i'd post up this -

may be familiar if you peruse other falcon forums ... but posted here to spread the falcon love

its an australian production january 1961 deluxe roundbody - XK falcon the model was called here - went from sept 1960 till about feb 1962.

all right hand drive and all 4 doors - pity we never got the 2 door roundbodys here.

for the first year of production only engine was the 144 , then to compete with the opposition (GM and chrysler) upped to optional 170ci.

this is 3 speed manual and was originally a 144 but now a powerhouse 170ci

got it beginning of march (2010!)-

i'm in Australia - melbourne (state of Victoria) and car was in brisbane in state of queensland - approx 2000km (1200miles) away- yeah we are all metric here .

makes it interesting driving to speed limits with an imperial speedo and metric road signs - but you get used to it

i bought it sight unseen except for some photos

so heart in mouth went for it .

next was how to get it down to melbourne - as the car had been unregistered for a year

so was considering a road trip on an unregistered vehicle permit or transport company.

BUT seller was an ex melbourne chap and was coming down to visit his parents and pick up a boat (was going to put his boat + boat trailer on the car trailer and take whole package back to brisbane)

did a deal and arrived on monday 8 March .

luckily he missed (dodged?) a huge hail storm in melbourne we had on the saturday - so no new dents

not a project but really good condition with a few bits to do. it has been repainted in its life - a few bits of bog(bondo) but hey
overall pretty happy

January 1961 XK deluxe sedan - orig 144 manual -now a 170 powerhouse manual ....

manual is 3 speed with non synchro first- gotta be stopped to get first gear

colour is H H H - Broadmeadows green top ,bottom and lower

after market period wheels and whitewalls - mmm

the very first production falcons in australia - approx sept to dec 1960 used imported american front bumper bars so had the american ( small) recess for the number plate - this has the australian production bumper bar to fit our longer number plates.- not much in it - approx 2" extra length in the recess

extremley rare to find the early american sized bumper bar

heres a photo - not mine - of an early Australian production american bumper bar:can see the number plate doesnt sit inside the recess

now back to my XK !
trim was orig 14 = medium brown cloth with light brown vinyl seats.- but has been upholstered in brown cloth.- non sweaty...

son checking it for size:

no radio - and dash not hacked about to fit a modern one - will fit a non working period one and a modern working one under the dash

has one scratch / crease on left hand rear quarter- will see re fixing that

plan is to just put back the std steel wheels, change out dice gear knob !!! and drive it for the falcons 50th year .

i'm sure that air cleaner is worth 0.5 hp

notice we have the battery tray on the leftside (our passenger!)- another interesting story ( to me !)is the very first production falcons in australia - approx sept to dec 1960 used imported american inner guard (fender) pressings - so had the pressing(bulge) for the right hand side battery tray support (on the right hand inner guard ) - but didnt use it as the battery is on the left side of the car - so ford australia fabricated a support so the batttery tray could still be mounted on the leftside . mine is jan 1961 so has the correct australian inner guard pressings

I tookit to the mechnics for a road worthy certificate- required to get it re registered here

got the car back from the road worthy (RWC)

-of course it failed

think the rwc checker was stickler for lots of things and he is my neighbour !

but mostly small things to fix:

ie horn not working (Knew that!)
brake lights
secure battery
remove towbar tounge!
adjust brakes
fuel line rubber pipe worn
plug holes in firewall
fix fuel line
washoff oil on diff and box and engine
rocker cover leak

then a few larger ones -
rear spring shackle rubbers
gearbox mounts+ engine mounts replace
front sway bar bushes
1 x balljoint
replace door rubbers - hmmmm
fix cracks in steering wheel- ie fine cracks in plastic....putty me thinks

then some weird ones :

paint over underbody surface rust

fit reversing lights-
and fit rear seatbelts

last two i asked him to check the regulations s with victorian roads authority - as i understood if it didnt have any when made it was ok.
Plus theres no provision on the manual box for reverse switch

but he didnt say anything about the xk having no windscreen washers, no side mirrors ...

ah anyways nothing too major and have been plugging away at getting them cleared

not wistanding get stuck in europe for an extra week due to the volvanic eruption in iceland..

missed out on the ford factory charity open day here in melbourne in april - and its the 50th anniversay this year of the ford falcon (XK) - bummer would have loved to take the XK up there

brett

gb500

Re: Bretts Australian Jan 1961 XK Falcon - 4 door

Post #2 by gb500 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:09 am

left off where friendly RWC man gave me alist of things to do - counted up the items - was 34 items - mostly small - but still.

got a few done - ie

replaced rubber fuel tank hose,replaced sway bar pin bushes at front.

replaced the castor rod bushes at front - turns out XK have different ones to xm/xp/xl - tried for a week to locate them - finally got some from classic falconspares in canberra
made some new kick panels for the non existant ones - thats right part of the rwc failure....- used an old one from other XK as template

a coat of primer:
a top coat from a rattle can and voila : brown kickpanels.

then had to stop as went overseas for work for a week in april- ended up being two weeks ,as stuck in holland with volcanic ash effecting the planes - worse places to be stuck with work picking up the tab...

anyways cleared 14 of the items off and thought will check another rwc garage for an easier go.

spied one near me (west side melb) who had a number of early fords and holdens on his forecourt. looks perfect.

headed on down and came back with 5 items to fix of which only 2 were on the orig RWC.- got to love that
and no reverse lights and seat belts in back.....

so replaced handbrake handle , speedo cable (speedo not working) and under body sealed a rust repair under passengers footwell.

the real bugger was the diff axle oil seal and left ball joints - again XK early is all different - so found the upper balljoint ($90 each -ouch)+ bottom and oil seal in canberra again.

had a few days till bits arrived so replaced dice gearknob and door locks with orig items and hooked up mechanical temp guage

amazingly it still had the orig lower left ball joint- was the riveted and spot welded to suspension arm type - not bad for 49.5 years old...but a bugger to remove with the spot weld.

rivets ground off : but spot weld still to do:

anyways got them done

and booked vic roads ($39.50)for friday may 28 9.45am.

zoomed to the mechanics early friday to get the items ticked off and collect rwc and then to vic roads.

all they do for the $39.50 is come out with torch and verify body number and eng number - then back in to sting you another $750 odd for plates , rego , stamp duty and some other stuff ...

and here it is with full rego at williamstown , melb.
unfortunatly i missed out on any std number plates sequence starting with XK....and wasnt going to give em another couple of hundred $ for personal ones :

and dog in pasenger seat :

happy as now

brett

gb500

Post #3 by gb500 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:10 am

on the first sunday in June ,me and son take off to head 250 km (160miles)north of melbourne to the historic winton car races.

zooming along at about 100kmH (60 mph) ( ha -speedo is in MPH despite all australia going metric KM/H in 1973) on the hume highway and keep monitoring mech temp guage - seems ok -

then after 50km (30 miles) start to see it slowly climb .... pull into services at kalkalo/donny brook with temp at about 105 deg C (220F).

pull off top rad hose (mmmmm hot) and let it blow rusty /cruddy coolant every where.

fill up with fresh water and take off.
again ok for half an hour - then climbs again -110 deg C (230F)or so - pull into picnic area and do the same - and refill. this time can see leaking from small welsh (core) plugs on the head - rusted out ( under the exhaust manifold)

figured temp was ok until water leaked out and there wasnt enough left to keep the temp down.

same again refill and head north - this time stop at garage near seymour and get can of barrs leak.= done about 120km (80 miles)

but by now was lunch time and still 1 hr to winton. so we fill it up and turn around as dont fancy drving back in dark from winton with over heat problem.
go 15 km(10miles) and stop at puckapunyal army tank musem - so day wasnt wasted and keep son happy....
http://www.armytankmuseum.com.au/i-map.htm
then drive back - the barrs leak seems to have done the trick

now just need to get the 4 x 1"welsh (core)plugs and replace
stay tuned

SteveS

Post #4 by SteveS » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:37 am

How nice. Great looking old Falcon.
Sign of the Cat
1982 Mercury Cougar GS station wagon

'68falconohio

Post #5 by '68falconohio » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:25 pm

Very cool Falcon. I'd love to have a round body one day.
'68 Falcon - sold
'99 F-250 Super Duty, '64 Lincoln SA-200 "Redface" - weldin' car
'04 F-350 Super Duty - racecar

gb500

Post #6 by gb500 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:32 am

ok bit of an update:
just after getting registration

on the sunday in late may (30th ?)
me and son take off to head 250 km (160miles)north of melbourne to the historic winton car races.

zooming along at about 100kmH (60 mph) ( ha -speedo is in MPH despite all australia going metric KM/H in 1973) on the hume highway and keep monitoring mech temp guage - seems ok -

then after 50km (30 miles) start to see it slowly climb .... pull into services at kalkalo/donny brook with temp at about 105 deg C (220F).

pull off top rad hose (mmmmm hot) and let it blow rusty /cruddy coolant every where.

fill up with fresh water and take off.
again ok for half an hour - then climbs again -110 deg C (230F)or so - pull into picnic area and do the same - and refill. this time can see leaking from small welsh (core) plugs on the head - rusted out ( under the exhaust manifold)

figured temp was ok until water leaked out and there wasnt enough left to keep the temp down.

same again refill and head north - this time stop at garage near seymour and get can of barrs leak.= done about 120km (80 miles)

but by now was lunch time and still 1 hr to winton. so we fill it up and turn around as dont fancy drving back in dark from winton with over heat problem.
go 15 km(10miles) and stop at puckapunyal army tank musem - so day wasnt wasted and keep son happy....
http://www.armytankmuseum.com.au/i-map.htm
then drive back - the barrs leak seems to have done the trick

now just need to get the 4 x 1"welsh (core)plugs and replace

so a session in the garage needed.

also got a set of std steel + whitewalls and put them on :

think it looks pretty cool now . will get the wheels colour matched to the body at some stage.

on monday 28 th june was the 50th anniversary of the first XK rolling off the Melbourne Broadmeadows production line - so ford had a bit of a celebration and asked some falcon clubs to bring their cars along - couldnt miss that.

so drove around to broadmeadows ( 'broady' in local slang.), bright and early to the ford factory - put us all in the dispatch yard .

was cold that morning ...5deg C (40F) and no heater in the Xk - and no chance of overheating ...

then Ford put on some lunch ( sausage sandwich + blue cake !)

and sprinkled a few celebrities around
Alan Moffat (and blue cake !):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Moffat
hmm ; seems amonst his numerous Australian wins/titles he did OK in America:
1966 :Lotus Cortina :Sports Car Club Of America National Sedan Championship

and a photo on the way out:
my falcon left here 49.5 years ago (jan1961)

the FORD blokes on the left gave me the thumbs up as i took the photo

gb500

Post #7 by gb500 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:17 am

so last weekend of july , planned to drive the XK from melbourne to sydney (600miles) to see a mate , collect a gearbox and catch the Sydney all Ford show at eatern creek

so figured had better do something about the leaking welch (core) plugs and overheating :

removed the exhaust manifold and knocked in the 4 small ones in the head :they were like tin foil - the centres just punched thru - so had to tap about with a pin punch to get the 'rings' out

pulled them out with pliers and put fingers in to remove the rust /sludge build up - one of the holes had some thing big in it - got the torch and checked -was another welch (core) plug !- previous owner(s) had knocked it in but not removed it - must of done wonders for the circulation.

lucky it was rusted thru and could get it out with pliers ...
changed the ones on side of block and removed heaps of sludge - particularly at back of block around cyl 5 and 6 - guess not much water velocity that far back to push it around.

definetly reccommend knocking them out and cleaning if you have overheating problems

shiny and new:

also checked the rad - could see a lot of blocked cores - so another one from the shed went in - inc the old trick of womens stocking in the top radiator hose to collect the crud.

when originally driving on the freeway to winton- the front end seemed very floaty and cross winds effected it badly .

so checked all the ball joints /bushes/steering box - all seemed Ok (relative with an XK i think) so got out the trusty Replex gauge to check caster and camber

- yikes - left side had about 4 deg NEGATIVE caster ( should be about +0.5 positive ) and right was about 0 deg caster.

so a session removing and replacing the upper arm shims had both sides about 1.5 deg postive caster with -1 deg camber

reckon i must have undone the upper arm bolts about 10 times to get at the shims -trial and error

but a big difference now on the road ( but not exactly porsche territory ...)

as is with these things finished about midnight on thursday - for a planned friday morning start to sydney..

loaded up the car with a few spares - ie gaskets , water pump , fuel pump , generator,regulator , rad hoses , fan belt etc etc- figured all eventualities barring something catestrophic that i couldnt fix by side of road.

gb500

Post #8 by gb500 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:16 am

so took off about 8am friday morning and got on the hume highway- bombing along at 60 -65 mph - with an eye on the temp guage- but was a pretty rock steady at 82deg (180F?)

glad the rad fix had done the trick.

if reference to the famous photo of 'HO down the Hume' highway' at 144mph- a famous 1971 photo of an aussie 1971 351cleveland GT -HO falcon - production racer -only 200 odd made but capable of 150mph on the road
story :
http://www.falcongt.com.au/HO-DTH.html

XK falcon down the Hume highway - ha ha - some speed difference :

anyways car was ok - filled up at wangaratta - 30miles per gallon (imperial) 25mpg odd US MPG,(9l/100km) - surprised me for an old thing with 170 ci ,3 gears and 3.5 diff

now it wasnt the XK petrol tank that defined how long i could drive for -it was me with food /toilet stops ..as i could get almost 300miles from a tank comfortably

just after gundagai (300 miles into trip) car stated to get a bit hot - so pulled over and checked the radiater - had a small leak at a hose clamp -tightened up and thought i would check the stocking filter and removed top hose

glad i did as the stocking was almost blocking the rad hose it had so much junk in it : thats the stocking at top and a handfull of rust /sludge that i got out of it- imagine that in the rad cores..

anyways repleced stocking and filled it up with water and on my way :

got to do the touristy bits ...BIG MERINO ( sheep type!) at Goulburn

got to mates place about 7pm - so 11hrs on the road for the XK - 600miles .

sunday took in the ford day - got there late and they wouldnt let me drive in -reckoned it was full- so had to park outside.

back loaded down with gearbox in boot(trunk!):

lots a fords - and different to the ones I usually see at melbourne shows:

an XL falcon (62 to 64 ) squire staion wagon - ford australia thought that what worked well in the USA would work great here - but the squire was unpopular and a low seller - eventually discontinued after they sold 77! in the final year 1965 (XP falcon)
now days very collectable- set of fibreglass side trims = $1500 (when you can find them)
and an d two american 2 door convertibles behind it- pretty poular import here (nowdays- as the early aust falcons didnt have V8's or convertibles)

really cool XP coupe pulling a 1960's wooden racing boat powered by a mech fuel injected (hillborn) ford 144 six for the 155ci class - with the intake log milled off and replaced by 6 welded trumpets - sign said they get 200hp from them in the day - COOL:
[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv224/9triton/coco017-1.jpg][/img]

model A board track racer:

left from ford show at about 3pm and headed south to Melbourne - hit some huge rain storm but tiptoed thru that with the old single speed wipers:

bit of an session as drove thru the night - no radio , no heater ,no demister , door seals leaking like a sieve and f'ning cold

was wearing many jumpers and gloves and beanie ! and hit fog at gundagai to almost seymour -

but made it back about 1,30am on monday morning - 10.5 hr session

pretty pleased with the old Xk - 1200miles and no (real) problems in the 50 year old mobile

feel better after the road trip-

going ford is the going thing