Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Operation Falcon

Moderator: Mod Squad

BetsyBabe64

Operation Falcon

Post #1 by BetsyBabe64 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:02 pm

I finally got my new project Falcon yesterday ! It's a 1965 two door Delux Sedan, it cost me $1200.00. Came with a C4 tranny, a 170 and a 200 inline six, a shop manual and two spare wheels and tires and not to mention the thousands of dollars worth of brand new parts from dearborn classic and falcon parts.com and Northwest Classic Falcon INC. All in the package with receipts. Brand New Grant GT steering wheel, Mustang Bucket Seats, the list goes on. I had no idea the car was coming with so many goodies.

I haven't taken any pictures of my own yet, i'm still worn out from the 17 hours of driving but here are some pictures the previous owner took of the car before they tore it down and after they tore it down and pressure washed it. Right now it's just a frame with the shell on it, no glass or anything is on, it's bare bone ready to restore from the ground up. The body is incredibly straight, it's amazing how good of shape it's in.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

They bought this car back in 1995 and drove it home. Stored it in a garage for a few years then started the tear down process. They then began buying and collecting parts for it then stopped. For ten years the car and all it's parts have been sitting in a garage packed away, neglected. Now I get to pick up where they left off. I'm going to put the 1981 200 i bought in there with a tri carb set up. I wanted to do a manual transmission but now that I have this C4 tranny, i'm not sure what to do. I could sell the C4, but can i do that ? since this car originally had an auto trans, is that the only thing it is able to have ? Would i have to do some customizing ?
My cars name is Betsy Babe.
ImageImage
1964 4-Door Base Sedan Falcon * 1965 2-Door Deluxe Sedan Falcon

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Re: Operation Falcon

Post #2 by rbohm » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:18 pm

8) nice project. you can certainly run a T5 if you wish, you just need the bellhousing, et al. the other thing you will need is the clutch pedal, and they are starting to be reproduced for the mustang, which i believe interchanges. check with national parts depot on that.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #3 by bubba22349 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:42 pm

I have a few parts left form a 64 Falcon Sprint V8 4 sppeed car like the brake and clutch pedal setup, steering box and column, driveshaft, and many other small items.
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

BetsyBabe64

Post #4 by BetsyBabe64 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:55 am

Nice, once I figure out what I need I'll let you know bubba, Thanks.

Today I scratched the surface of all the boxes of stuff that came with the new falcon. Old and new parts. There are still box's of new and old parts I have yet to lay out and examine. I came across a lot of odd things today.

First thing I did was start a collection of junk. Coils, bad battery cables, bad spark plug wires, bad random wires, broken hoses, worn out clutch disks, e.t.c.

Here is one box laid out.

What in the heck is up with this fuel pump ? It's awesome looking. It has a glass top ! You can't really tell in this pic.

Here is carb #1. Can't tell if it's an autolite or a holly.

Carb #2. Again, can't tell what it is.

A bell housing for a manual transmission. It could be a GM or a ford, don't know. I dont have the other half.

The oil pan on the left is shaped weird and has a dip stick that goes right in it. I'm not sure what engines I got from these people. They could be any kind of inline six. I have some casting numbers i'll jog down at the bottom.

Pullys timing chains and covers, pistons and push rods.

What the heck is this ?

what the heck is this ?

ImageImageImage

Is this a C4 transmission ? This car should have came with a 200 but i think it came with a 170. The people i bought it from said the car had a 170 with a C4 but from what i read this car should have had a 200 with a C4.
Is it possible for a C4 to hook up to a 170 ? Is this a C4 ?

Heres one bearing journal. I can't tell if its a 4 or a 7

Here is the other one. It looks different. Again i cant tell if its a 4 or 7.

brand new front and back panels. Kick panels too. This is just a few of the new things in the package, theres lots lots lots lots lots more.

LOOK GM ram horns ! Random. I'm gonna try to sell em.
ImageImage

OKAY so the block they gave me has a casting number of C8DE 6015A. I know it's a 1968, but what size ?

The Transmission number on the inside is RF-C4-AP-7A-105A

One of the heads I have is C5DE-6090-A X7

The other head is C8DE-6090-B

The car's Vin number is 62-D-J-15-10K-74-26-5HO1T 129576
Last edited by BetsyBabe64 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

BetsyBabe64

Post #5 by BetsyBabe64 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:14 am

It seems my shop manual has a decoder. I found out that my car came with a C4 and a 200 Inline. Did I end up with that stuff tho ? I know that the previous owners first got the car and drove it home but when they backed it up it made a horrible noise and they found out that the block was broken, so they got rid of it. They thought the car came with a 170 so they found on and bought it and set it aside.

I have two heads, two oil pans, two valve covers, two bearing journals and two cams and one block.
Both heads to me look the same, but the oil pans look different, one of them looks like it could be a 200. The valve covers are different, one looks like my 1964's 170 valve cover and the other one looks like my 1982 200 valve cover. The two bearing journals look different. The cams look the same.
ImageImage

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #6 by bubba22349 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:27 am

Lots of stuff to keep you busy I would go with a 200 over a 170 since you have both, much nicer engine. Nothing wrong with using a a C4 it should bolt to both the 170 or 200 with the right bolt on bell. But I would go with the later valve body fom a 67 or up (select shift) or get a mid 70's trans they made many improvements.

What in the heck is up with this fuel pump ? It's awesome looking. It has a glass top ! You can't really tell in this pic.
The fuel pump has a vacum pump for the windsheild wipers. Carb #1. looks to be a carter #2 autolite 1100. Its a Ford bell
What the heck is this ?
These are a set of the famous long shackles from the 1960's used to jack up the rear of the cars.
what the heck is this ?
this is a cutter for a dremel or other grinder to port with or debure. Looks like a C4 look for a tag on the servo cover to id it. First crank is a 7 main second is a 4. GM ram horns looks like later style 283 or 327 maybe from pickup because of the outlet angle casting number would id them better.

Vin number is 62-D-J-15-10K-74-26-5HO1T129576

Vin decodes as
Body 62D = 2 Door Sedan (RPO)
Color J = Red
Trim 15 = Red Fabric and Vinyl
DATE K = October 10, 1964
(DSO) - District 74 = Seattle
This number corresponds to where your vehicle was shipped to be sold.
Axle Code 2 = 3.10:1 non locking ( a '64 code, but also some in '65)
Trans 6 = Dual Range Automatic (C-4)
CODE H = Lorain
ENGINE CODE T = 6 Cyl. 200 Cu. In. (1V)
car was the 29576th car built at the Lorain plant.
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #7 by rbohm » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:14 am

8) the manual trans bell housing you have is for a top loader style transmission, the automatic you have is a C4.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

of invention

BetsyBabe64

Post #8 by BetsyBabe64 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:10 am

I'm kinda skeptical this transmission is a C4. After looking at pictures on the internet, it seems like all the C4's I've seen have a lower point for the starter. Mines like a high mount starter. I found a tag on the servo but the tag is blank ! I did find something on it that say C6 blah blah blah. On the inside tho there is something that has C4 in it.

I did some more organizing today and threw out more junk and am now collecting a bunch of stuff to get rid of but i'm not sure. Things like giant beat up alternators, power steering pump reservoirs and the like. Is any of this stuff worth keeping honestly ?

ImageImageImageImage

Did any 200's ever come with adjustable rocker arms ? I'm so confused as to what kind of heads these are. The decoding doesn't really help, they both look like a 170 head but i'm under the impression that one of them is a 200 head. How can you tell ?
ImageImage

Here's the 170 block. I love it when people paint 144's and 170's blue, makes people think you got one of the big boys. I painted my 64's valve cover, snorkel and oil pan blue and everyone thinks it's a 200.
ImageImageImage

I put my 64 4 door up for sale today on craiglist. Within an hour i got a bite. $1200.00. I bought it for $500.00. I raised the price one hundred bucks. All in all i've spent about $1600.00 on Betsy Babe. The money will go towards starting my new project. I hate to sell Betsy Babe, it makes me sad :cry:
ImageImage

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #9 by rbohm » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:05 pm

8) bell housings used on the C4 behind the six cylinder engines used the high mount starter as well. i have a six cylinder C4.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

of invention

'68falconohio

Post #10 by '68falconohio » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:42 am

170s came with adjustable rockers and seem to be preferred over non-adjustable for heads that have been shaved a ton. They physically bolt into all the log heads. Before you throw anything away, go to classicinlines.com and check out what they're paying for rebuildable cores of rocker assemblies, late heads, dampers, etc. I remember someone, ludwig? maybe, posting up how much new carb. adapter plates were going for. They're a little spendy depending on which they are.
'68 Falcon - sold
'99 F-250 Super Duty, '64 Lincoln SA-200 "Redface" - weldin' car
'04 F-350 Super Duty - racecar

aribert

Post #11 by aribert » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:15 am

Just curious - have you tacked a project of this scope before? Your mentioned throwing out "more junk". I would strongly suggest keeping EVERYTHING until the car is finished. Otherwise in a year or two we will be hearing from you as you search for some elusive brkt or other dodad that got thrown out.
61 , Deluxe trim & original 54 yr old factory padded dash. Custom interior, stock color base/clear, 275K mi, My car for the last 47 years (OK, first decade "ownership" from the left rear seat). '78 200, 3.03 manual trans, '73 dist w/ points & TFI ign, Weber32/36, 15 wheels Image

91 F150 4.9 almost stock

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #12 by ludwig » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:48 am

x2 -- big time.

I replaced the dash wiring harness on my Mustang with a brand new "original spec" model from one of the shops. The original was very worn. I don't know what god of car repair was watching me that week, but I had to go over to the original, which I had kept, about six times to get plug connectors or unique fasteners and splice them in on the 'original spec' pigtails.

Do as the man says.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

BetsyBabe64

Post #13 by BetsyBabe64 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:31 pm

I've been throwing out toasted spark plugs and worn out spark plug wires, broken belts, destroyed filters, broken stuff mostly, or super worn out things that can easily be replaced. I have a pile of stuff that I feel I don't need and is useless, however I'am keeping it just in case.

Thanks for looking out guys :mrgreen:
ImageImage

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #14 by ludwig » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:16 pm

Dear BetsyBabe64,

You're welcome.

Love,
All the BTDT Boys.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #15 by woodbutcher » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:20 pm

:nono: Like the guys said,until"The Fat Lady Sings'(project complete)KEEP EVERYTHING.
Unless it is obviously junk.
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".
Otto von Bismarck

PhantomAce

Post #16 by PhantomAce » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:08 pm

Yep, keep it ALL!
My son couldn't figure out why I wasn't just "getting rid of" stuff, and instead keeping everything not being used in it's own little spot...
You have no idea how many times we have had to go into that pile since we turned into a "2 car project" household.
He no longer even asks... he just puts things in the pile and keeps on moving.

Besides, when it is all said and done, there may be something left over that someone here on the forum might have a use for. Even broken things can sometimes be repaired if there isn't anything else available.
Mine: '61 chero, Clifford 200, E0 head (1.75/1.50, 1.6 rocker), 276 Cam, H-W 38/38, CI 6-to-2 header, T5, front disc, Shelby drop, 8" 3.0-posi, buckets/console, 15" TorqThrust's. Still building...
Son's "Parts Car": '61 chero, local built 200, C9 head (1.75/1.50, 1.5 rocker), 274 cam, 2V direct, Clifford 6-to-2 header, C4, B&M QuickSilver, stock rear and susp (for now).