Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Ranchero Project

Moderator: Mod Squad

bull41

Ranchero Project

Post #1 by bull41 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:05 am

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums but have been lurking for a while now and have gained quite a bit of knowledge. I am in the process of building a 65 Rancheroand and i have a few questions. it has a 170 with a 3 speed manual trans.

here are my list of things driveline wise that i am planning:

Offy 3X1 with webber carbs
mild cam
DUI Duraspark II Distributor Kit
C4 trans
8" rear end have 3.25 and 3.55 gears for it
and SSBC front disc brake conversion

My first question is where can i find the 65-66 mustang V8 spindles that wont cost me an arm and a leg.

Second does anyone know what drive shaft would fit the 170, C4, and 8" rear combo.

as for sheet metal I am replacing the floor pans and the passenger rear quarter those are the only areas that require any major body work. the paint will be yellow and black. the interior is getting all redone want to put bucket seats in also.

so for the third and final question what bucket seats will fit nicely?

I hope to spend more time here and to get to know you guys in the future.

Thanks,
Jim

powerband
FSP Moderator

Re: Ranchero Project

Post #2 by powerband » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:47 am

[
Sounds like you're well on your way to a great fun ride. The combination is well planned and with some local advice :roll: , hopefuly soon:

i have a few questions
(Please take as all "knowledge" available on the internet :hmmm: )

Spindles and other parts in demand - demand high prices but with connectability, parts are ailable from anywhere including less picked remote areas. Dealing parts with people through the forum is much friendlier. There are likely alternates forums discuss. V8 spindles/discs are improvement and disc kits for 4 lug spindles are a hot conversion.

Driveshaft length with correct universals to fit with 65/170/C4/8" probbaly need fabrication but any late 60's/70's should have correct yokes to match C4/8" for shortening/lengthening. ( Most C4 and T5 's into early cars will need DS shortened @ 1" AFAIK - might as well be 1' :? ...). I run an original 3:50 small rear in a '63 wagon with mild 170 and T5. DS is early Falcon with rare-correct yoke from unknown late 60's car with C4/3.03 and small older rear axle.

Seats are personal choice, for original look - lowback buckets from any Ford or most 60's cars work, less traditional later hi-back seats with better support complement Seat Belts for daily drivers.

I drive a 170/T5 '63 Wagon with Holley/Weber 2Bbl, the '61 runs a wild 250/T5/8" with Tri-Power Offy/Holley setup. Webber carbs sounds like a good idea. A forum member is posting his work on same setup as your project.

Have Fub

Powerband
"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."

jet471

Post #3 by jet471 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:52 am

If you are located close to Mississippi, I know a guy with a 65 V8 falcon parts car.

It has the 289, 5 lug front and rear, and a set of bucket seats.
Jet47
62 ranchero, 66 model 200 ci, duraspark 2, t-5, new floorboards

bull41

Post #4 by bull41 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:29 pm

Powerband thanks for the info.

Jet unfortunatly I am located in Illinois, but while looking on craigslist today I found the 65 spindles and also found a set of bucket seats from a 67 mustang so I have those two items accounted for.

bull41

Post #5 by bull41 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Well over the weekend I picked up the bucket seats out of a 67 mustang and got the 65 v8 spindle tonight so I a headed in the right direction. Waiting on the offy intake and tons. I replaced the drivers side front floor board and toe board over the weekend and will hopefully get more done on the floor boards this weekend