Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad


<<< New Site Update >>>

Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Moderator: Mod Squad

mcthirsty
Registered User
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:26 pm

Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #1 by mcthirsty » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:30 am

Really interested in getting a 61-63 comet as a family cruiser. I do want to get it down in the weeds though (on springs, not airbags). What are some options to do this? I have no problem welding & modifying the suspension parts or strut mounts.

I've read:

1. Cut out and raise the strut mounts
2. Move the mounting point of the UCA down (shelby modification?)
3. Drop spindles ($$$)
4. Cut coils

I still want a somewhat decent ride but doesn't need to be stock smooth or soft.

Thanks!

User avatar
1bad6t
Registered User
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 11:02 pm
Location: 35 miles south of Atlanta
Contact:

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #2 by 1bad6t » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:32 pm

1. Your car doesn't have struts...but it does have strut rods. Don't cut them.
2. The Shelby Drop doesn't lower a car very much...maybe 3/8"
3. This is the correct way to lower the front end...but who makes spindles?
4. I wouldn't cut more than one coil. Anything more will induce bump steer
Jeff in Georgia
'74 Maverick 250/C4

choppmyride
Registered User
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #3 by choppmyride » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:26 am

I had my Falcon ute lowered so there ws 105mm or 4" ground clearence and a smooth ride
1" lowered springs at front and drop stubaxles must use short front shocks
Eyes on reaar springs reversed and lowered , that way i did not use lowering blocks to lower, must also use shorter shocks , the angel of rear shock changes so the eyelet in lower spring plates where shock goes thru and same point on body needs to be changed , easy job with oxy to heat and twist , no problem with wheel alighment or tyre wear once set up correctly

I also had to raise the exhaust and modify front pipe cross member

But when finished my falcon was very low and suspension did not bottom out going over speed bumps or rail way tracks
Cheers
Leon

User avatar
rbohm
Assistant Admin
Posts: 5697
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:00 am
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #4 by rbohm » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:14 pm

mcthirsty wrote:Really interested in getting a 61-63 comet as a family cruiser. I do want to get it down in the weeds though (on springs, not airbags). What are some options to do this? I have no problem welding & modifying the suspension parts or strut mounts.

I've read:

1. Cut out and raise the strut mounts


no struts, but even if you have a strut suspension, this would be a lot of work, and not worth the effort.

2. Move the mounting point of the UCA down (shelby modification?)


while this is a good modification to do for better handling, it wont lower the front suspension very much.

3. Drop spindles ($$$)


this, as you indicated, is the most expensive way to go. i believe fat man fabrications has drop spindles.

4. Cut coils


this is a good way to go, but time consuming as you are constantly cutting the coils, then reinstalling them to check the ride height, then removing them and cutting more until you get the ride height you want.

I still want a somewhat decent ride but doesn't need to be stock smooth or soft.

Thanks!


cutting the front coils, and using lowering blocks in the rear is probably the best way to go overall.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

User avatar
1bad6t
Registered User
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 11:02 pm
Location: 35 miles south of Atlanta
Contact:

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #5 by 1bad6t » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:24 pm

using lowering blocks in the rear is probably the best way to go overall.

The axle needs to be as close as possible the the spring. Lowering blocks will cause axle windup and bad handling. Custom springs is the correct way to lower the rear
Jeff in Georgia
'74 Maverick 250/C4

User avatar
michael_cini
Registered User
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:45 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #6 by michael_cini » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:21 am

shorter shocks? what shocks did you use?

choppmyride wrote:I had my Falcon ute lowered so there ws 105mm or 4" ground clearence and a smooth ride
1" lowered springs at front and drop stubaxles must use short front shocks
Eyes on reaar springs reversed and lowered , that way i did not use lowering blocks to lower, must also use shorter shocks , the angel of rear shock changes so the eyelet in lower spring plates where shock goes thru and same point on body needs to be changed , easy job with oxy to heat and twist , no problem with wheel alighment or tyre wear once set up correctly

I also had to raise the exhaust and modify front pipe cross member

But when finished my falcon was very low and suspension did not bottom out going over speed bumps or rail way tracks
Cheers
Leon
63 futura convertible sport coupe,
250 I6/C4, OZ head (milled, oversized valves), Holley 350cfm carb, 264/274-110 cam, 6 into 1 header, 2.5 exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, granada disc brakes, 5 bolt 8" rear.

BTW, it's pronounced Chee-knee.

choppmyride
Registered User
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #7 by choppmyride » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:38 am

Will have to check my book work , was about 10 years ago, There is a shorter shock for front available in Australia and rear was from GMH HQ Holden 1972 ? to 1976 ?
I had a look in product catalog and compared length and compression strength when fitted I was more than happy,
If you cant find any thing that will suit get back to me and I will try to find my Falcon ute file
It is worth the effort to find the correct shocks
Leon

choppmyride
Registered User
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #8 by choppmyride » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:45 am

Hi Michael
do you have drop studaxles to suit Falcon over your way, I can supply if you dont, your carwith 250 2V with no air cleaner , do you want a new repro origional air cleaner to suit 250 2V , look on ebay.com.au look under 250 2V and you will see a pic

User avatar
michael_cini
Registered User
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:45 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #9 by michael_cini » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:18 pm

in my falcon i took out one leaf and put in 2" blocks, i think. it was a couple of years ago. in front cut springs approx 1.5." the stance is good, but it does not handle bumps well. shorter shocks makes sense. i guess i could find a shock with shorter travel, right?

choppmyride wrote:Will have to check my book work , was about 10 years ago, There is a shorter shock for front available in Australia and rear was from GMH HQ Holden 1972 ? to 1976 ?
I had a look in product catalog and compared length and compression strength when fitted I was more than happy,
If you cant find any thing that will suit get back to me and I will try to find my Falcon ute file
It is worth the effort to find the correct shocks
Leon
63 futura convertible sport coupe,

250 I6/C4, OZ head (milled, oversized valves), Holley 350cfm carb, 264/274-110 cam, 6 into 1 header, 2.5 exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, granada disc brakes, 5 bolt 8" rear.



BTW, it's pronounced Chee-knee.

User avatar
michael_cini
Registered User
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:45 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #10 by michael_cini » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:20 pm

no, what is a drop studaxle?

i have a aftermarket chrome air cleaner element on the car now. thanks for tip, but i like chrome better :D

choppmyride wrote:Hi Michael
do you have drop studaxles to suit Falcon over your way, I can supply if you dont, your carwith 250 2V with no air cleaner , do you want a new repro origional air cleaner to suit 250 2V , look on ebay.com.au look under 250 2V and you will see a pic
63 futura convertible sport coupe,

250 I6/C4, OZ head (milled, oversized valves), Holley 350cfm carb, 264/274-110 cam, 6 into 1 header, 2.5 exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, granada disc brakes, 5 bolt 8" rear.



BTW, it's pronounced Chee-knee.

choppmyride
Registered User
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #11 by choppmyride » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:18 pm

A drop stub axle is a replacement stub axle which has the axle moved up 2" which lowers your car by 2" and if you have springs which are lowered 2" then your car is lowered total of 4"

choppmyride
Registered User
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #12 by choppmyride » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:29 pm

did you cut your 6 cylinder front springs or use V8 front springs from later falcon . by using later V8 front springs and lowering them you will get your car lower , car will hander better and wont bottom out so easiley. or use a new after market spring which is rated as heavy duty 2" lowered

User avatar
michael_cini
Registered User
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:45 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #13 by michael_cini » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:10 am

i have granada disc spindles on my front end. can they be used with this setup?

choppmyride wrote:A drop stub axle is a replacement stub axle which has the axle moved up 2" which lowers your car by 2" and if you have springs which are lowered 2" then your car is lowered total of 4"
63 futura convertible sport coupe,

250 I6/C4, OZ head (milled, oversized valves), Holley 350cfm carb, 264/274-110 cam, 6 into 1 header, 2.5 exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, granada disc brakes, 5 bolt 8" rear.



BTW, it's pronounced Chee-knee.

User avatar
michael_cini
Registered User
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:45 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #14 by michael_cini » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:11 am

yes, i cut from I6 springs. i have never heard of using later V8's then cutting. why does the car handle better lower with the V8's?

choppmyride wrote:did you cut your 6 cylinder front springs or use V8 front springs from later falcon . by using later V8 front springs and lowering them you will get your car lower , car will hander better and wont bottom out so easiley. or use a new after market spring which is rated as heavy duty 2" lowered
63 futura convertible sport coupe,

250 I6/C4, OZ head (milled, oversized valves), Holley 350cfm carb, 264/274-110 cam, 6 into 1 header, 2.5 exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, granada disc brakes, 5 bolt 8" rear.



BTW, it's pronounced Chee-knee.

choppmyride
Registered User
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #15 by choppmyride » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:30 am

useing a heavyer spring from a V8 will give less nose dive when braking , and when changing lanes or going round bends the heaver spring stops the body from leaning over as much, why do you think boss mustangs & Z28 carmaros use a heaver spring than standard mustang or carmaro, and less chance of suspension bottoming out going over bumps or railway lines
Have a happy christmass

Leon

User avatar
1bad6t
Registered User
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 11:02 pm
Location: 35 miles south of Atlanta
Contact:

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #16 by 1bad6t » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:20 pm

There’s more to springs than 6 cyl vs V8 springs. Just because a spring came from a 6 cylinder car does not mean that is a weaker spring. Take the 74-up Maverick as an example with its heavy front bumper compared to a small bumper Maverick. The late model Maverick with a 6 cylinder with A/C and power steering will have a higher spring rate than an early Maverick V8 car without these options. The V8 only weighs about 75-85 lbs more than a 6 cylinder. The V8 also sits farther back in the engine bay therefore taking the weight toward the rear whereas the 6 cylinder has all of its weight sitting directly on top of the spindles.
Jeff in Georgia
'74 Maverick 250/C4

User avatar
kevinl1058
Registered User
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:36 pm

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #17 by kevinl1058 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:00 pm

Image
Just go with air ride.. you'll love the handling and adjustability.. best of all the stance at shows..

User avatar
michael_cini
Registered User
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:45 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

Re: Lowering suspension options on early falcon/comet

Post #18 by michael_cini » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:29 pm

yeah, sure, wouldn't i love to...but many of us do not have the $$$ to do that.

kevinl1058 wrote:Image
Just go with air ride.. you'll love the handling and adjustability.. best of all the stance at shows..
63 futura convertible sport coupe,

250 I6/C4, OZ head (milled, oversized valves), Holley 350cfm carb, 264/274-110 cam, 6 into 1 header, 2.5 exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, granada disc brakes, 5 bolt 8" rear.



BTW, it's pronounced Chee-knee.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests