Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

how can i make a modern interior?

Moderator: Mod Squad

64 200 ranchero

how can i make a modern interior?

Post #1 by 64 200 ranchero » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:11 pm

im trying to find some door panels of a newer sports car to make fit in my 64 ranchero, the plan is to get some fiber board from home depot, weatherproof them with bedliner, fit into the doors, bolt new style door panels onto the boards then seal it together and paint
60 ford ranchero daily driver. 200 tri power, modified c4 trans, ds2 distributor, msd programable 6al2, weber ict's, 8" rear end with full spool, 3.40 gears, 245 tires, CI dual out header, Dynomax muffler, 114hp shot wet nitrous kit. JE Forged pistons, 280 110lc cam, around 11-1 compression.

aribert

Re: how can i make a modern interior?

Post #2 by aribert » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:36 pm

The "weatherproofing" of the door trim panels is accomplished by the vapor barrier - the plastic sheet that is attached to the door inner panel (sandwiched between the trim panel and the door sheet metal.
61 , Deluxe trim & original 54 yr old factory padded dash. Custom interior, stock color base/clear, 275K mi, My car for the last 47 years (OK, first decade "ownership" from the left rear seat). '78 200, 3.03 manual trans, '73 dist w/ points & TFI ign, Weber32/36, 15 wheels Image

91 F150 4.9 almost stock

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #3 by rbohm » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:28 pm

8) rather than try and find panels from another car, and make them fit, how about making your own panels? get yourself a book on custom upholstery and see how the pros do it, and work from there.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

64 200 ranchero

Post #4 by 64 200 ranchero » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:47 pm

i made my own already but they are starting to warp and they look kinda dull, i am for sure going to weather proof them this time with the plastic
60 ford ranchero daily driver. 200 tri power, modified c4 trans, ds2 distributor, msd programable 6al2, weber ict's, 8" rear end with full spool, 3.40 gears, 245 tires, CI dual out header, Dynomax muffler, 114hp shot wet nitrous kit. JE Forged pistons, 280 110lc cam, around 11-1 compression.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:03 pm

Some 1/4 or 3/16 plywood would work good.
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

aribert

Post #6 by aribert » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:47 am

I also learned this the hard way. I opened up the doors to replace the glass runs when I first took over maintance on the car and did not replace the plastic and a few years later the original door trim panels were warped and bowed. I have since become a firm believer in the vapor barriers in doors.

As to making your own door panel substrates - I used 1/8 inch thick hard board (masonite). Anything much thicker and the door trim panels will not fit into the chrome plated steel door trim retainers. I have a 1/8 thick layer of foam between the substrate and the door trim cover. The foam has to compress in order for the door trim panels to fit into the groove - but it sure looks and feels nicer.
61 , Deluxe trim & original 54 yr old factory padded dash. Custom interior, stock color base/clear, 275K mi, My car for the last 47 years (OK, first decade "ownership" from the left rear seat). '78 200, 3.03 manual trans, '73 dist w/ points & TFI ign, Weber32/36, 15 wheels Image

91 F150 4.9 almost stock

cballard1972

Post #7 by cballard1972 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:06 am

aribert wrote:I also learned this the hard way. I opened up the doors to replace the glass runs when I first took over maintance on the car and did not replace the plastic and a few years later the original door trim panels were warped and bowed. I have since become a firm believer in the vapor barriers in doors.

As to making your own door panel substrates - I used 1/8 inch thick hard board (masonite). Anything much thicker and the door trim panels will not fit into the chrome plated steel door trim retainers. I have a 1/8 thick layer of foam between the substrate and the door trim cover. The foam has to compress in order for the door trim panels to fit into the groove - but it sure looks and feels nicer.

Aribert, can you post a few pics of your door panels. I will be replacing mine here shortly and am wanting some ideas on DIY.
65 Falcon 4dr sedan 200CID
63 Galaxy Fastback Project
04 Mustang Convertible

Falconeer

Post #8 by Falconeer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:36 am

200 Ranchero,
I made my own custom door panels for all of my Falcons. The panels are made from ABS plastic. I designed my own panels and used auto tweed, Alante" vinyl, 1/4" landau foam. Go here and see the results: http://public.fotki.com/falconeer/
Also posted a how to on TFFN, Interiors. Step by step. The ones on my 65 2 dr wagon and my 65 sedan delivery have been on there for over 5 years with no problems of any kind. My latest or the ones on my 63 2 dr sedan. they are about 6 mos. old. Once you have done one the rest are a pice of cake. The design factor is the most time consuming.

Butch Evans (Falconeer)
Thomasville NC

JackFish
VIP Member

Post #9 by JackFish » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:33 pm

That's some nice work there, Falconeer. :thumbup:
1978 Ford Fairmont station wagon
1978 Ford Fairmont station wagon
Yup, I bought another one.
1996 Chevy Caprice 9C1 (3)
1999 Dodge Ram 2500

cballard1972

Post #10 by cballard1972 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:05 pm

that is fabulous work. Thanks for posting. On my way over to TFFN for the instructional.
04 Mustang Convertible

Falconeer

Post #11 by Falconeer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:10 am

Cballard, 64 200 Ranchero,
If you haven't already, go to page 5, interiors, TFFN, on how to step by step of custom door panels.
Hope this helps:

Butch Evans(Falconeer)
Thomasville NC

Falconeer

Post #12 by Falconeer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:41 am

Due to the interest shown on my posts of my custom door panels for my '62 wagon I thought I would post steps on how to help you make your own custom door panels, kick panels, etc. The material I used is automotive tweed and vinyl (Alante~) 1/4" landau foam and ABS plastic. ABS plastic can be bought through sign companies and plastic extrusion companies. The best thickness to use is 100thousandths to 125thousandths, 125thousandths being 1/8".
The adhesive (glue) I used is made by Permatex; I bought it from Advance Auto (it comes in an orange can with a blue top). You can score the ABS several times with a utility knife and it will break free. Be sure to use a light rasp (80 to 120 grit) sandpaper to feather all of the edges before upholstery.

Here are some steps to help you with the making of door panels for your Falcon.

Step 1: cut ABS to fit doors using channels to secure panels; leave enough room in your channels for expansion of door panels with material on it (about 1/8" top and bottom). Be sure to make and cut holes for window rollup handles and armrest screws prior to upholstery.
Step 2: use cardboard to make template the same size as ABS door panels.
Step 3: draw design on cardboard and cut out area that you want to stand out on the door panel (I use cardboard from a refrigerator carton and scavenged cardboard from dumpsters in back of appliance stores)
Step 4: place landau foam on ABS door panel; cut foam the same size as door panel
Step 5: place cardboard template on top of landau foam that has been placed on ABS door panel and cut out the design
Step 6: remove excess landau foam and replace cardboard template back onto the ABS panel; tape down securely.
Step 7: spray adhesive onto the void area of cardboard on the ABS panel.
Step 8: spray adhesive onto landau foam that you have cut from raised part of your design; place landau foam into void area of your template onto ABS panel (you are using the template as a guide to make sure the landau foam is in the proper place)
Step 9: carefully remove template. spray adhesive onto landau foam and ABS panel (be sure to give time for landau foam to set before you go to step 9 - about 30 to 45 minutes) make sure to spray verticle edges of landau foam real good.
Step 10: spray your material on the back side; let tack about 5 minutes.
Step 11: place material on top of ABS panel and work it from the middle out. I use a small wooden roller and the back edge of my pocket knife to make sure the material is in all of the crevaces and attached good to the ABS and landau foam. Be sure you give you glue time to get tacky. I also use the palm of my hand and my fingertips to make sure I am getting good adhesion on the material to landau foam and ABS panel.
Step 12: spray the backside of the ABS panel with adhesive and roll edges of material onto the backside of the panel leave about 1 inch of material glued onto the backside of the ABS. also spray material before you rollover. be careful not to get glue on the front side of your door panel. there again, 5 minutes or so for glue to tack.
Step 13: if you want to do an inset, cut out area of landau foam and cut a piece of 1/8" ABS to match. leave about 1/16th to 1/8th distance between plastic inset and cutout area and your landau foam (room for material and vinyl).
Step 14: After shaping and checking and shaping and checking the inset, place inset piece that you have covered with vinyl (Alante~) into the void area for fit. use epoxy glue or whatever you deem appropriate. place some weight onto the inset and let set overnight. if inset is in the door armrest area be sure to drill holes for screws of armrests before you put the vinyl on the inset.
If mission has been accomplished then the next step is to install door panel. Word of caution: check and check and double check the fitment of your ABS panel (leaving room in chanels and length of door panels before you start the upholstery process)

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Butch Evans (Falconeer)
Thomasville, NC
336-475-4353

PS you are only limited by your imagination and your ability.

64 200 ranchero

Post #13 by 64 200 ranchero » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:09 pm

your cars look amazing man, i will try to use your instructions

cballard1972

Post #14 by cballard1972 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:13 am

great tutorial. Need to find a local supplier for landau foam. The shipping rates are crazy.
04 Mustang Convertible

Falconeer

Post #15 by Falconeer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:31 am

cballard,
Auto upholstery & or supplier is the best to find landau foam.

Butch Evans(Falconeer)
Thomasville NC