Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Vacuum wipers

Moderator: Mod Squad

sunoco639

Vacuum wipers

Post #1 by sunoco639 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 am

I recently bought a 1960 Falcon Ranchero and have a question about the vacuum wipers. The previous owner installed the wrong fuel pump so I need to change that. I want to know how to route the vacuum lines. I have 1 line comming from the wiper motor thru the firewall and it's just hanging there. The fuel pumps that I've seen have 2 vacuum fittings on them............anyone know how they hook up???? :bang:
Thanks for any help, Trace

powerband
FSP Moderator

Re: Vacuum wipers

Post #2 by powerband » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:51 am

Vacuum wipers are a real archaic feature of the early roundbodies, they will easily work with simple manifold vacuum. The line from the wiper motor thru the dash can simply be hooked up to intake manifold where line used to go to fuel pump or any tap into intake manifold. The original design features a vacuum booster diaphragm - second stage on the fuel pump to maintain vacuum when the intake vacuum drops like when you step on the gas :roll: . IF you can find a working dual diaphragm pump , it simply goes in line with the vac line to the intake port. IF the car is a daily driver in a wet region, I'd recommend replacing OEM system or upgrading. 'Nuthin wrong with vac wipers if they work, but later cars electric wiper motor can be used.

windshielld wipers slappin' time...

My 1950 'Stovebolt six car has OEM vacuum wipers without fuel pump "booster".

The '61 isn't a daily and only needs wipers in case, 4 Lugs, Vacuum Wipers, Tube Radio, Fender Gunsights...

"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."

sunoco639

Post #3 by sunoco639 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks for the info powerband. If I change to electric wipers what all needs to be changed? Motor, switch, any brackets????????

1961 Futura

Post #4 by 1961 Futura » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:22 pm

sunoco639 wrote:Thanks for the info powerband. If I change to electric wipers what all needs to be changed? Motor, switch, any brackets????????

I researched this pretty well when I decided to make the switch. You’ve got three options (outside of getting the proper fuel pump, which I didn’t try, but has to be better than manifold vacuum):

1. 1962 motor and switch: Ford offered electric wipers as an option in 1962 (maybe dealer installed). They made an electric motor that mimicked the motion of the vacuum actuator (back and forth). It bolts in place of the vacuum actuator and uses the cable from the dash to work a switch on the motor.

Pros: Everything. Everything should fit and clear without modifications to the car. It’s the best option if...
Cons: ...you can find one. The cheapskates who bought our cars new didn’t want to pay for the optional electric wipers. The intervening 49 years have only diminished the supply of an already-rare item. Plus you’re still dealing with a 49-year-old part, so who knows how long it will hold up. Lastly, I think these are just single-speed wipers.

2. 1963 transmission gear: In 1963 electric wipers became standard. Like modern wiper motors, the 1963 motor turned constantly in one direction. A ‘70s F-series wiper motor is supposed to be a bolt-in replacement for the ‘63 motor, and the switch from the F-series allows multiple speeds.

Pros: More readily available than the ‘62 motor. Allows multi-speed wipers. Probably the cheapest.
Cons: Requires changing out all the transmission gear under the dash. Modern-type wiper switch doesn’t fit in the early dash without grinding away one of the dash supports. Still requires hunting down 48-year-old parts.

3. New Port Engineering motor and switch: New Port Engineering specializes in converting vacuum wipers to electric, and makes a back-and-forth motor like the 1962 piece.

Pros: Motor is a bolt-in with the existing transmission gear. Brand new piece. Multiple speeds. Optional windshield-washer pump.
Cons: Still uses the new switch that doesn’t fit in a stock dash readily. Aftermarket. NOT CHEAP.

I chose the New Port Engineering setup because I was in a hurry and didn’t have time to track down ‘63 transmission gear. I figured wipers are a safety feature and I drive my car everywhere in all conditions. I just need to track down a die grinder, or just bite the bullet and buy one, so I can finish fitting the switch into my dash 18 months later...

Good luck,

Dave

sunoco639

Post #5 by sunoco639 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks Dave, you really did your homework. I just purchased an NOS correct fuel pump for my 60 Ranchero,(dual diaphram) so I guess I'll keep the vacuum wipers as this isn't a daily driver but is by no means a show car either.

Trace

papawfalcon

Post #6 by papawfalcon » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:02 pm

I want to convert my '62 Ranchero over to electic but It seams like no one has the arms to go to the wiper arms. I have a motor out of a truck.
FALCONS AND RANCHERO'S FOREVER