Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

bretts 1961 Australian XK falcon ute (ranchero..)

Moderator: Mod Squad

gb500

bretts 1961 Australian XK falcon ute (ranchero..)

Post #1 by gb500 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:40 am

Ok I have posted this in a few other forums – have delayed putting in here as , due to the photo sizes allowed, I have to reduce each photo I have – put off the task till a rainy day . still not through it all yet – photobucket sucks to use as an editor anyways

saw the thread about the 1961 ranchero

heres the australian ute
well - started off my early falcons thinking the Australian 1965/66 XP was the hot looking ticket - still have my XP sedan.

here at etamogogah pub new south wales , near the Victorian boarder , pub based on a cartoon series that ran in a magazine here for 50 years:

then over time the australian 1960/1/62 XK (round body) drew my attention - and it was coming up for 50 years of the falcon in Australia in 2010 - so bought a broad meadows green XK sedan as a going concern - so no project thread -
been to sydney twice in it , adelaide once and drive it whenever .

with all the 'collectable' car goods/bits i get /have always wanted a ute -

an XK one at that.

they dont come up very often - or if they do are mucho $$$.

me being with too many cars etc etc was on the lookout for a while .

got one off ebay - hmmmm false start - too much hidden rust and a real bitsa (1964 XM doors , xm guard , 1963 XL bonnet (hood!)etc etc .)

so whilst kicking myself saw anther one come up - on ebay (of course..)

did the deed and its mine - except its in sydney - i'm in melbourne .- 500 miles away

gent tells me its been in a shed on a farm in the west of NSW for years, unregistered (of course) , still drives, brakes kinda work , no handbrake , some dents - but NO rust .
comes with a 170 engine in it and the orig 144 numbers matching engine loose in the back of the ute.
sounds like the go.

i mess about and find car carrier that will pick up in sydney , bring it down to melbourne - but they dont ahve a depot in melb - so i need to meet them out front of manheim folwes auctions in altona north at 8am in morning ...to collect.

lucky altona north is 8km (5miles) from me.

so get on the push bike and cycle out . there it is on the car transporter . the bozo runs it of the ramps getting it off - luckily the tow bar takes the 1 foot drop to the road . hmmm.

anyway get in , chuck bicycle in tray and drive uber slow back home ( with an unreg vehichle permit of course).
stop at a servo/garage and put some petrol in and check teh tyres - 2 at 15 PSI ...

anyways its home (jan 25) and started to work on it
had booked a road worthy check –rwc- (required for re registration) for 9 feb. 2012

and was hoping to get it reg for the all ford day at geelong on 19th feb 2012 ... did i make it ? read on

enough of the chit chat :

its a Dec 1961 standard ute

orig a 144ci and 3 speed manual

broad meadows green

and green vinyl trim
compared to the american version it has same wheelbase, smaller rear overhang , same tray size - but shorter cabin.
uses the sedan 4 door doors.
fuel(gas) tank behind seat .
spare wheel under the rear tray -and accesssible from a door under the tailgate

and original :

the plan is to 'recommission' it and get it back on the road
Last edited by gb500 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gb500

Re: bretts 1961 Australian XK falcon ute (ranchero..)

Post #2 by gb500 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:06 pm

here are some pics:

tried to get the dog to sit in back - put her ball in - she got in , grabbed ball and jumped out - huh , shes half kelpie -so should come as second nature riding in a ute..

can see a novice patch on the rear quarter- so no rust but a meatl patch

gb500

Post #3 by gb500 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:20 pm

heres a ford australia sketch of how they used the basic front section (up to the B pillars) for the 4 body styles of falcon.

no 2 doors in australia - so all front doors are the same (as the 4 door sedan)

all wheel bases the same - 181 " (same as american)

all models were the same overall length

the van (known as a sedan delivery in aust) was based on a ute body with a wagon roof .
if you look carefiully can see the petrol(gas) tank locations(black) and the white block is the spare wheel

aussie7mains

Post #4 by aussie7mains » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:13 am

Ive got an XP ute, BTW the 181 inches is the overall length, the wheelbase is 108inches.
The US Ranchero had the same wheelbase I believe, but used the longer two door, doors, to maintain the ute tray length the US model had a longer overhang, The Australian road conditions were deemed to be too severe for that overhang, it was thought the rear body would scape on spoon drains used at the time, so the shorter sedan doors were used and the tray length gained that way.
The rear framework looks to be the same as the sedans from what I can see.
However I believe that the inner sill panel, (the flat one) is made of thicker material, to increase strength, also the Australin modesl from XP on had extra longitudinal members and a reinforcing panel forward of the front Torque boxes, plus an overpiece to stiffen up the same area. Overall the Aussie models would be considerably stronger than the US. We also got the heavier Fairlane size ball joints in the front end, were the US rancheros all 5 stud wheels? with 10 inch brakes as well?
A7M

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:57 am

:hmmm: I did not know there was so much difference between the Australian Falcon Ute and a US Ranchero. The US Falcon based Ranchero's from 1960 to 1966 had a 109.9 inch wheel base, they shared rear body quarter panels and tail gates with the Tudor Station Wagon and the Sedan Delivery. There were 3 body styles over the years. 1960 to 63 round body much like yours pictured (181.0 in length) first front ends were light duty until about 62. Next body style were a more square flat sided in 1964 & 65 (181.6 in length). Last was 1966 (184.3 in length) they rounded the panels some. All Falcons with a Inline 6 had 4 lug wheels with drum brakes, but I am fairly sure that all the Ranchero's S.Delivery's and St. Wagons had the larger 10 inch drum brakes and bigger rear axle bearings. We also had another Ranchero in 1966 that was based on our Fairlane chassis the Ranchero's continued forward on that line.

Mavericks hit the market in 69 1/2 and were a little less money so Falcon's sales were dropping off and were discontinued after a short run of 1970 models (ended Dec 1969) They put the Falcon name once more on some 1970 1/2 Fairlane / Torino chassis cars and then dropped the name at year end.

Noticed that the Ute roof line and rear quarters are quite different. I would be interested in seeing some interior pictures of the Ute, the box (cargo) area, and some of the chassis where you mentioned they beefed it up for the road conditions over in Australia.
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

gb500

Post #6 by gb500 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:45 am

whoops sorry about that wheel base - yep 108"

will put up some photos of interior, rear tray etc - about 150 to come in this thread .

just so time consuming resizing via photobucket .

as they say .' stay tuned'

gb500

Post #7 by gb500 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:29 pm

gb500 wrote:whoops sorry about that wheel base - yep 108"

even thats bogus -wheelbase is 109.5"

gb500

Post #8 by gb500 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:14 am

some dings in guard and passendger door:

tray perfect : even has orig wood (i think its tasmanian Oak) ford used. Tasmania is a large island off the south of mainland australia.( say 150 miles south)

for the eagle eyed amongt you - the inner sides of the tray (over wheel arch up to the back wall are removeable panels. - so once removed can access the inner rear quarters etc .
the access to the spare wheel is vail a small door under the tailgate .

so you need a square headed key to undo the door and slide whell + tyre in .
it was ok for the sixties when tyres were 4"' wide . now i have a radial 13" x 175 spare - and its too fat to slide in the spare wheel tray .

so it lives the back of the main ute tray.

some surface rust from sitting water - will rub off:

floors good:

BUt there are two bits of rust :

spare wheel tray :which i am hoping is non structural come RWC

and left inner rear quarter:need to patch this
so on with the pics :

interior: with a non cracked steering wheel - unheard of !

not the original seat - its a sedan seat -(cue ash tray in back of seat)

hood lining and windlace is all good:

powerhouse 170 ci:think its about 45 hp at rear wheels

even still has 5 body colour matching 13' x 5 stud wheels and tyres

the front drivers guard is a replacement - was orig light blue and resprayed - hence why it looks brighter - but it starting to flake off.

rest of the orig paint is all oxidised.

will proably give it a sand , cut and polish if i get the time before rwc.

this is the last registration sticker : as it sure is a funny shape

the stuicker is dated 1990 and the ute came from NSW ( state in australia) and the car was in the town of Lithgow (NSW country area) -was in a shed (not a barn :( ) and stored since since end 1990 - i have the 1991 registration renewal aperwork in the glovebox-was never renewed

Last edited by gb500 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:33 am, edited 5 times in total.

gb500

Post #9 by gb500 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:16 am

so i started to look underneath - hmm lot of mud - stuck up there so start tapping away with a screwdriver :

other side is the same - got to dig it out yet .

but all solid under it : obviously it dried out and car was in shed so didnt retain moisture

started to check all the lights etc :
no brake lights :
faulty hydrualic switch on Master cyl.

had another on in some spares - so thought i would remove the mc cap - couldnt budge it- rusted on - the old caps are pressed tin and really like to 'stick' to the cast iro master cylinder - eventually go some stilsons on to it - now it moved - but not much room to swing in there !

ater the fact mate told me an oil filter clamp/wrench can be used - hmmm good suggestion but too late

looked in and brake fluid was like black treacle - and about 1cm deep .- luckily never needed to test the brakes on the drive home.

cleaned that all out , changed the fluid and replaced the brake switch - all good now- brakes and a clean fluid.

next up was
the head lights :

its got separate lucas bulbs - ie NOT sealed beam/ h4's

- but some 36 watt/38 watt low /hi beams - not sure what you would see with that
think thats why old farmer mate has fitted the spot lights

ended up with cuts on my hands and a few bandaids - but kept coming off - hence a bicyle glove to protect knocking the cuts again and again and again

but they seemed alwfully yellow - so out with multimeter - and yep - 9v at headlights- so actually 27 watt low beam . woo hoo.

anyhow fiddled about with earths and cleaning and managed to get about 11 volts at lights - that will do for now

let there be light (well sort of): wow i got some junk in my garage...

gb500

Post #10 by gb500 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:58 am

so on going and horn not worky :

finally figure out old mate farmer has bypassed the push button on the steering wheel and fitted an on /off toggle switch - can see all the big thick red wires in the engine bay . and thoughtfully taped the switch to the steering column- you switch it on and it stays on .- great

hmm can i fix it ?
start at the horns and figure out he has disconncted the horn relay - its still there on the rad support panel - just not connected.

find the plug under the green tape on the loom and plug it in - not worky - turns out relay is stuffed- so thats why he rewired the horns / etc - kind of think it would have been simpler to buy a new relay - but resorceful in the country .

anyways - in my junk filled garage is the remnants of a loom with the relay - pull it out - looks as bad as the non working one - but surprise it works .

and replaced- still one excess wire - car is supposed to have two horns -low and hi tone - but one removed - so extra wire coiled up

but f#$%ing horn still dont work - so off with steering horn button - hmm no contact for the button .

figure i'll use my u beaut steering wheel puller and take wheel off to get new contact spring doover in there .

try once - but its not budging- and the little bolts didnt go all the way in - not wanting to strip the holes, get an old tap and start to clean the threads - do one , do the other and tap locks up - wont go forward or back . a little bit more force and damn - broken tap - cheapo hi carbon steel tap - shoulda waited and got a hss one .
now its stuck good .

so cant replace the contact - but check and have 12v at the ' hole' in the steering wheel -

so get a biro spring , cut it up and its just the right lentgh and horn works .

spring only has minimal current through it as its an earth for switching the relay.

but that steering wheel wont be coming off soon .

will need some penetrating oil and mucho force - hope i dont crack the wheel

a job for a later date

hand brake cable busted - so a spare one from shed of junk and a correct hand brake handle :
can see the incorrect one in the photo of temp horn switch - not sure what its off but you have to twist it the wrong way - ie up instead of down.: all good and hand brake works:

and speedo cable busted as well:
shed of junk to the rescue - i bought a spare inner on ebay some time ago - even came in funky period orig ford packaging
fine - but turns out to be too long - maybe for an auto and not manual box.
in the bits that came with the ute is a spare one - its longer than the original - but shorter that the spare inner i have .

oh well in it goes .

man i'm a skinny malinky - but how hard is it fiddling about under the dash and hands up behind the inst panel . yow.

anyway all screwed in and 40mph in the shed:

had the diff up on the trolley jack - but covered the brake in case it jumped off and i punched a hole through neighbors fence opposite.

all good though and stayed on jack

gb500

Post #11 by gb500 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:17 am

ok so continuing on:

from a quick inspection there were a few rubber bungs missing - none left in the floors and some missing in the fire wall.

i had previously bought off ebay a mustang rubber bung kit - $25 and full of all the shapes - invaluable.
so put some in the fire wall around some the speedo cable and the choke cable - had to drill a hole in them and split them to the centre to go over the cable (speedo). the choke i could disconnect at the carb and push through

next up was the fuel tank:

a drip of fuel in the back of the cabin - hmmm can guess some pinhole or other in the bottom.

can see the only rubber plug left in the floor: was like sticky toffee from the fuel leak.

behind the tank was all good - except for the plastic hose that is a drain from the ute tray down thru the floor to outside.
can see the straps and a small piece of rubber the tank sits on .
if it gets wet in there (from leaks via the rear tray the rubber rustes to the tpaetrol tank bottom and sticks them togetrher - very very difficult to remove . i was lucky as it was still dry in there
a quick inspection of the tank and yep a small hole - looks large here as i poked the pen in it -so it opened up to the size of the pen tip

the ute uses a differnt tank to sedans and wagons - and now replacement ute tanks arent exactly lying about - and as i was pushing to get to rwc , figured i would patch it - looked on the web and it seems every body has a fuel tank repair epoxy:

some people saying that the repair is still holding 5 years later (etc) so off to supercheap and came back with a permatex putty that you knead up and push on .
whilst cleaning the tank metal - a few more pinholes appeared - b ugger.

anyways
final result . will see how it goes and keep eye out for a solid tank - or get this one repaired at some stage with solder/weld /braze/whatever

can tell you its been a year now -and still holding fine .
as its in the cabin - youll smell any leaks....

i put tank back in and let it harden for a few days - touch wood - seems to be holding
( lol - those few words ' put tank in' took about 2 hrs - man its difficult to get the spring clamps on the fuel filler pipe - when you have about 2" to fit hands , pliers and force the hose on