Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Falcon Youngin' needs some advice!!!

Moderator: Mod Squad

eewwookk

Falcon Youngin' needs some advice!!!

Post #1 by eewwookk » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:51 pm

I live in Houston and drive a 62 tudor hardtop 170. A few days ago I noticed my radiator fluid dripping onto my floor while I was driving. It was mostly on the right side. I looked in my original Falcon handbook (which is older than my parents) and discovered it was a heater coil problem. Of course when I checked, it was cracked. I disconnected all radiator hoses going to and from the heater so there is only a hose from the radiator to the engine, and from the engine to the radiator. Was this the right thing to do if I dont need a heater? IT seems to be working for now.......... :?

Falcon62
VIP Member

Post #2 by Falcon62 » Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:34 pm

Hi Ewok and welcome to the Forums!

What you've done is bypass the heater. That is a good method for solving a leaky heater core if you don't need heat or defroster. Did you connect the two heater hoses together with a piece of pipe?

If you need heat or your defrosters (don't know how cold it gets in the big "D") then you can take your old heater core to a radiator shop to see if they can repair it for you. If not, there are several sources for a replacement heater core that run about $35.

When I was going through my Falcon, I had my heater core "recored" at the same place that did my radiator. The cost was the same as buying a new one, $35. I know the shop, and their work, so I just let them take care of it for me.

PS - I'm moving your post to the Falcon's Nest as it is more appropriate than the Performance Forum.
Phil, USAF Retired
'61 Futura 2dr
'62 Sports Futura, 200/C4
ASE Master Re-Certified Collision & Refinishing Technician

Thad
FSP Moderator

Post #3 by Thad » Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:43 pm

YEP pilgrim, you can bypass the heater core as you have done. That what happens when the heater is off. The light weight valve always leak a little internally even when new and that why a bad core will leak even when the heater is off. Should be able to dress warm enough to make it to spring, the last time it snow this far south was about 12 years ago.
Have you ever watch a Coona$$ drive in snow, if you are in a safe viewpoint it is hilarious.
There are those who just dream,
and there are those who do more than dream. ><> = +

46stude

Post #4 by 46stude » Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:01 am

:twisted: HEY NOW ,just to let some of you yankees know, the "big D" is Dallas, not Houston. eewwookk lives in Houston, he said. but you called him a Dallas boy. in some parts o' Texas, that'll get ya hurt. but hopefully, eewwookk will let y'all slide on it this time. poor fella, comes to the forum and gets insulted right off the bat. shame on you! durned yanks!! :splat: :smash: :smash: heh heh heh

Topochicho

Post #5 by Topochicho » Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:18 am

Don't know where in Houston your at, but there's (or at least was.. hadn't been there in a few years) a pretty decent radiator shop on Washington, just south of I-10. Just exit Washington and head south, it'll be on the left hand side.

The "big D"... like having someone call your Falcon a Chevell....

Post #6 by Guest » Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:47 pm

Thad wrote:That what happens when the heater is off. The light weight valve always leak a little internally even when new and that why a bad core will leak even when the heater is off.

What valve are you talking about? I thought coolant still flowed through when the heater was turned off. At least, it does on mine. I can open the fresh air vent and have a pretty good blowing heater without even turning the blower motor on.

eewwookk

it does

Post #7 by eewwookk » Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:22 pm

Coolant does still flow through the heater. I never turn my heater on- but I noticed steaming hot green fluid dripping on my socks none the less.- This happened after I dogged her out. I dont understand why it leaks constantly ---but it does even a new coil.

Post #8 by Guest » Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:43 pm

eewwookk,

A little advise, I did this job myself just a few weeks ago. Since you have already cut the hoses to the core all you need to do to finish the job is disconnect the blower motor wires, and remove the four nuts around the blower motor on the firewall. Then you can remove the heater box from the passenger side, follow the instructions at this site below to replace the core. I recommend replacing the old core with a new one if you can find one, I got mine at NAPA, repairing the old one might not fix your problem. Be careful removing the metal clips. While you’re at it you should get a seal kit. Good luck :wink:

http://www.joesfalcon.com/edition4/ed4pt1.html

Falcon62
VIP Member

Post #9 by Falcon62 » Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:48 pm

Oops! :oops: :oops: :oops: Don't know where I got Dallas out Eewwook's post, but Yankee I'm not! :wink: I live too far west to qualify for that moniker.

Anyway, I hope my technical input was helpful. 8) 8) 8)
Phil, USAF Retired
'61 Futura 2dr

eewwookk

Ragtopman is right

Post #10 by eewwookk » Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:58 pm

Those metal clips were a bastards to remove, and then find out where they landed after flying 12 feet!!!
For now I stuffed the holes in the firewall where the hoses were with some steel wool. I will repair It soon when I get the Mula to do so.

Falcon62
VIP Member

Post #11 by Falcon62 » Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:03 pm

I know this is too late to help, but the best way to remove those clips is to use a small screwdriver and slip it into the groove on one side of the clip and pry it up.

Smooth and the clip doesn't go winging it's way across the yard! :shock:
Phil, USAF Retired
'61 Futura 2dr

Ranchero63

Post #12 by Ranchero63 » Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:44 pm

If you rebuild the heater box, don't buy a falcon seal kit. Buy a mustang one. The mustang kit comes with a cowl to heater box seal. It's too short for a falcon but you can solve that by either welding or riveting extra sheetmetal to the flange that is attached to the bottom of the cowl. The flange is easily removed by popping a couple of spring clamps. A little harder to reinstall but it beats the 45 or so bux for a falcon cowl to box seal.
Chris Pruner

'63 Ranchero Deluxe 289 factory V8 4spd
'64 Falcon 2 dr Sedan 200 Turbo T5 (project)

http://www.myspace.com/kustom63
http://www.ccwheel.com
http://www.flushstance.com