Under-hood Theft Prevention

Moderator: Mod Squad

19Fordor61

Under-hood Theft Prevention

Post #1 by 19Fordor61 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:56 pm

Hello Fordsix Folks,

I've got a '61 Falcon and recently discovered just how shady people can be when my battery was stolen while parked overnight in my neighborhood (in a spot I've parked many times before with no issues). I knew the hood could be opened from the outside but just never really thought I'd have to worry about someone jacking stuff from under the hood.

Anyhow, racking my brain for several days after the incident to think of a way to prevent this, I found that all of my initial ideas would not work on this early car (interior cable release, chain/bike lock, locking hasp on hood/radiator support). Eventually, I came up with a solution that I'm very pleased with and thought I should share it with people here because it was cheap ($10), very effective, and very easy to do.

In short, I drilled two holes on both sides of the bracket/sheet metal that surrounds the release handle and latch mechanisms in order to install a long-schackle padlock above the release handle. When installed, the lock prevents any movement of the release handle, thus preventing it from pushing down to unlatch the hood latch. The lock is tucked up underneath the hood overhang and you can't see it at all when looking at the front of the car. It's also tight in the sheet metal and against the hood and handle, so it'll be very hard to cut or saw (without major time, noise and hood mangling) but loose enough and with enough room to very easily unlock and pull out or reinstall.

Unfortunately, I don't have a public photo hosting account online, so I can't link to photos but if anyone wants to see them or get a more detailed description, I can send via message.

Hope this helps anyone who has theft issues or needs a hood lock solution. I'm not sure what the latches are like on other model years but this is perfect for my '61 Fordor Sedan.

-Jeremy
-Jeremy
1961 Falcon Fordor Sedan
San Francisco, CA

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Under-hood Theft Prevention

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:31 pm

:beer: sounds like a great idea! :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Badnews1

Post #3 by Badnews1 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:12 pm

Great idea. :beer: sorry about the battery....... :(

Cool23

Post #4 by Cool23 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:54 pm

How about fitting the bonnet with the hood pin kit. When you leave it over night or in a place you have an issue with just swap the hood pins for keyed alike padlocks. Other wise fit a switch that blows the horn if the bonnet is opened.
V8's are great but Six Inlines Just Fine. Cummins Advert.

The link to my project on this forum http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41598

19Fordor61

Post #5 by 19Fordor61 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:45 pm

Cool23: I like the sound of your horn switch, that would be a good deterrent and has the benefit of comical value (imaging the surprised thief).

If I was going to build a car that looked good w/pins and it made sense to have them, your idea would work well. I prefer the stock look on this car though, so hiding a lock underneath is perfect for me. Good alternative for those who have or plan to install hood pins.
-Jeremy
1961 Falcon Fordor Sedan
San Francisco, CA

Cool23

Post #6 by Cool23 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:16 pm

Just a couple of simple ideas that work. :D
V8's are great but Six Inlines Just Fine. Cummins Advert.

The link to my project on this forum http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41598