Test Results - Does10s (dyno)

Does10s

Famous Member
VIP
Well we took Kelly's car to IA Performance here in Tucson yesterday to do a couple of pulls. This is the same dyno we used last time with the log head.
The drivetrain is exactly the same as before except for the ClassicInlines aluminum head, Oz intake and Holley 450 CFM carb.
Here are the results: (numbers are at the rear tires, not flywheel)
Run #1: Peak HP = 323@4500rpm, Peak torque=480@2750rpm.
Run #2: Peak HP = 318@4700rpm, Peak Torque = 502@2650rpm.

All I did between the two pulls was reduce the timing retard .25 degrees/lb of boost.

Here are the log head results:
Run #1: Peak HP=283@4800rpm, Peak Torque=416@2700rpm
Run #2: Peak HP=270@4800rpm, Peak Torque=437@2575rpm.

If I compare the log and alum head torque curves at the same rpm, say 4000, then I get a much better picture.
At 4k rpm the best log torque number was: 325ft/lbs.
The best Alum. head torque number was: 405ft/lbs.

So the torque curve is now much flatter! Much more usable area under the curve. This would explain our increase in 1/8 mile speeds.

Our Air/fuel ratio was fairly stable at 11:1 running nothing but E85. So I'm going to reduce the jets a little to lean it just a bit. This should help pick up a few more HP.
All of the above pulls were made at approx. 17lbs. of boost. We did get a boost spike of 18.8lbs at about 5k rpm on the first pull with the alum. head. But according to the numbers it didn't effect the outcome. We were probably already past the cam profile. New cam will be on order soon.

I'll see if I can scan the charts in and I'll post them.
I think that you N/A guys will see more percentage increase than we got with the head swap. So I take this to mean that boosting a log head really helps it's flow characteristics over boosting a "good flowing" head.

If you look at 5.0 head swaps, you'll see the same basic 40-50hp increase that we got with Mike's head.
So I think we're very happy with the results.
We'll keep trying!
Later,
Will

:shockin: :party:

Thats pretty darn good. Makes me want the aluminum head all that much more.

Thinkin Mikes gonna have to stock a turbo header. People gonna scramble for Aluminum ehad and turbo after seein those numbers.

Very well done!

Here are the results: (numbers are at the rear tires, not flywheel)
Run #1: Peak HP = 323@4500rpm, Peak torque=480@2750rpm.
Run #2: Peak HP = 318@4700rpm, Peak Torque = 502@2650rpm.

Will,
Great job, can't wait till Azcoupe ships thoses new heads he's made!

So the torque curve is now much flatter! Much more usable area under the curve. This would explain our increase in 1/8 mile speeds.

Sweet music to my ears, that's exactly the type of improvement I'm looking for!!!

And Will, those are just amazing results! Thanks for the updates!

All we need to do now, is match the camshaft to the induction package. Then see what it does. :D

Next step (after the cam) 12 point injection and/or juice :shock:

For those who don't know, the first batch of a dozen heads arrive this week, and will be ship out during the coming week to a few of our members for more testing.

I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in seeing what what sort of torque curves one can achieve with a naturally aspirated engine built with the new head, a "street performance" cam, a bit of additional compression ratio, headers and something like a 4 barrel intake. Frankly, that seems like the setup a lot of folks would actually build for their <ahem> "daily drivers" and I'm guessing we'll see some impressive numbers there, too.

:)

turbo_fairlane_200":26jdpw8c said:
I def would like to see some EFI on it. Carbs can "work" for turbos but are far from ideal.

Turbos are kinda cool, but like some other folks here I'm really more interested in naturally aspirated, daily driver setups myself.

Taking my previously tossed out configuration -- a naturally aspirated engine built with the new head, a "street performance" cam, a bit of additional compression ratio, headers and something like a 4 barrel intake -- and swapping out the carb for a practical, low-cost, EFI setup of some kind that folks could easily duplicate using parts that are widely available would also create an engine I think a lot of folks would want.

If, for example, somebody were to develop a sort of "cookbook recipe" for such an engine that other people could follow and get consistently good results, I think that would attract its share of interest. The "recipe" would need to list all needed parts including the cam, pistons, manifolds, injectors, wiring harnesses, throttle body, etc. for it to be really useful, and the less end-user fabrication required, the better.

That'll embarrass alot of 5.0 punks! 500 ft/lbs at the rear wheel...Yeah baby!

that should make a lot more with a diffrent cam. what cam do you have anyway? those numbers are pretty good, but seem low, that would put you right about 400 HP at the crank, seems a setup like yours could crank a lot more than my 200 should ( calculated Hp with Dyno 2000, 397 @ 6,000, torque is pretty much flat, peaks about 320 Ft/lbs midrange. I cut the FSPP head flow chart flow values in half, then lowred it a bit more to get what I thought was close to log head specs ). I'd bet it's the cam that's off. just playing around with diffrent cam profiles on Dyno 2000, I noticed that HP/ Torque can vary +- 30% or better just with diffrent profile cams, with turbo's, wrong cam can make a very flat hp/ torque curve, but very low also.

Will and kelly that is incredible, the torque is beyond.... . First of all thanks for your sharing of information and time spent and also hope Kelly is doing quite fine. I would just hate to be a small block gettin my - kicked by such an outstanding job. the best forward I love the road less travelled. Mikw

Hi all,

Just wanting to drop my first post on this forum.

I'm a Sydney aussie with an apollo blue XB GS coupe, that I got, one owner (deceased estate) came from factory as a 6.

I have a whole 2v motor here from carby to headers, waiting for my time to free itself a bit (the old story, work and house renovation).

My dream was to fit an Eaton M90, EFI. I have the Eaton as well.

Looks like my plans might change, with the development that's going on here. This is amazing stuff.

I read how ClassicInlines came to be, with the cracked timing gear. Well done, letting your dreams carry you to this level. I have a lot to learn (no slouch, rebuilt a few motors, done an auto to manual conversion for an old 4x4, etc etc... but I can tell I have a lot to learn, after reading some posts about cam durations and stuff. Glad to have found you.

I note that there is already plans for a Magnuson (Eaton partner) induction setup and EFI. Maybe by the time I am ready, this will all be ready too. I also noted that there will be at least one supplier in Aus. Thank God for that one.

Well, just wanted to introduce myself, and let Mike know, there's another one watching his work, even if I am not in a position right now to jump in. Well done mate. I hope it only grows and grows from here.

Dan

Will,

I would like to know at what RPM you are actually seeing as the stall speed of your torque converter.

I think you may have some torque multiplications effects going on - Ill assume it is a non-locking converter?

500 ft lbs at ~2500 is slightly rediculous. Back when I was in the camaro world we used to see this alot with unrealistically high torque below the converters stall speed due to its viscious coupling torque multiplication. you had to disregard those numbers and look at the charts second torque peak for a realistic evaluation.

I would expect to see a huge torque spike leadig up to your stall speed, and then see it falling off sharply as the converter actually started to engage.

Could you post the graph?

Back