Test Results - Mustang Geezer (track)

Mustang_Geezer

shmoozo":27sqa0za said:
Based on the images posted it looks like at least two of those engines are naturally aspirated and running what appears to be small four barrel carbs. I'm looking forward to seeing some info on those including details of internals, cam specs, etc, along with some dyno charts (if available) and such.

:)

Mine is naturally aspirated and is running a 500 cfm Holley 2 Bbl.

Actually I'm doing a direct comparison between a hot rodded modified log head. and the Classic Inlines aluminum head.

1978 big log head that has been milled .080, has oversize SI valves (1.75" intakes 1.50" exhausts) 3 angle valve job, ported & polished, valves unshrouded, Clifford port divider 1.6 ratio rockers & double valve springs & milled to accept a direct mount 500 cfm Holley 2 Bbl.

VS,

Classic Inlines aluminum head that is untouched except I gasket matched the exhaust ports only. I did nothing else to the head except have it assembled and had it milled .012

Its running the same 500 cfm Holley 2 Bbl and the same 1.6 ratio roller rockers.

I have almost $700 tied up into the log head.

This Friday night I'm going to Knollgas 131 Motorsports Park in Martin Michigan for the test & tune. Stop by and check it out if your in the area! ;)

Like Mike said, I'll be posting the results Saturday A.M.

Oughta be interesting comparison! :D :D :D Then this winter I'm going to trick out the Classic Inlines head.

Later,

Doug

Mustang_Geezer":30t0us28 said:
This Friday night I'm going to Knollgas 131 Motorsports Park in Martin Michigan for the test & tune. Stop by and check it out if your in the area! ;)

and if I hadn't moved to traverse city and that was so far away now, I'd go to make a report on how geezer's car really is... but alas, 2 3/4 hours would make that a long haul for leaving at 5:30 from TC.

Mustang_Geezer":xfbfol8r said:
shmoozo":xfbfol8r said:
Based on the images posted it looks like at least two of those engines are naturally aspirated and running what appears to be small four barrel carbs. I'm looking forward to seeing some info on those including details of internals, cam specs, etc, along with some dyno charts (if available) and such.

Actually I'm doing a direct comparison between a hot rodded modified log head. and the Classic Inlines aluminum head.

1978 big log head that has been milled .080, has oversize SI valves (1.75" intakes 1.50" exhausts) 3 angle valve job, ported & polished, valves unshrouded, Clifford port divider 1.6 ratio rockers & double valve springs & milled to accept a direct mount 500 cfm Holley 2 Bbl.

VS,

Classic Inlines aluminum head that is untouched except I gasket matched the exhaust ports only. I did nothing else to the head except have it assembled and had it milled .012

Its running the same 500 cfm Holley 2 Bbl and the same 1.6 ratio roller rockers.

Oughta be interesting comparison! :D :D :D Then this winter I'm going to trick out the Classic Inlines head.

I'll look for your post on Saturday morning.

Mustang_Geezer":na52wn2i said:
shmoozo":na52wn2i said:

VS,

Later,

Doug

If you were racing at Muncie or near Grissom Id try to come and take pics or video on my camera.

Michigan is too far. Good luck and keep er straight.

Went to Martin last night! :D 8) :D :eek: :eek: :eek:

1st of all, a big THANKS to falconcritter for letting me borrow his 250 2V intake until Mikes 4 Bbl intakes come out!! :D :D :D

Drag200stang came all the way across the state of Michigan to watch! Had a lot of fun talking to him and talking and talking.... ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: He helped a bunch! Thanks!!!

Also met a couple (forgot thier user name?) That check in on the forum, but are on turboford. He has a turbo 4 cylinder Mustang and she has a turbo 4 cylinder Pinto. Nice talking to them too!! :D :D

The times......

1st pass right off the trailer was a 16.31 @ 83.97 didnt get on it very hard being it was the 1st pass and I wanted to warm it up a bit.

heres all the times,
60' 2.29 1/8 mile 10.01 @ 70.40 1/4 mile 15.67 @ 85.71
60' 2.23 1/8 mile 9.91 @ 70.78 1/4 mile 15.54 @ 86.20
60' 2.26 1/8 mile 9.89 @ 70.98 1/4 mile 15.51 @ 86.22
60' 2.22 1/8 mile 9.91 @ 70.09 1/4 mile 15.57 @ 85.89

I was shifting around 6000-6200 rpms but it didnt feel quite right at the upper rpm ranges :unsure: Next thing I did was pull the airfilter top and filter off the car because my K&N filter had not came in yet and we cobbled up the filter base with some tie straps so it wouldnt fly off! :LOL: :LOL:

60' 2.40 1/8 mile 9.92 @ 72.71 1/4 mile 15.38 @ 89.10

Much better now! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pulled the plugs and they were white. I used to run #67 jets in my log head and it had a huge lean bog after I installed the aluminum head so I switched to #69 jets and that improved it on the street. Also had a blown power valve so installed a new #5 valve.

Pulled the bowl and swapped to #72 jets and made some more passes!

60' 2.22 1/8 mile 9.78 @ 71.88 1/4 mile 15.33 @ 87.43
60' 2.26 1/8 mile 9.83 @ 72.10 1/4 mile 15.32 @ 88.77

Now earlier I had to lower my air pressure in my rear tires to 26 lbs becuase I 'm starting to get a lot of wheel spin. I need to get some sticky rear tires!

60' 2.34 1/8 mile 9.85 @ 72.37 1/4 mile 15.31 @ 89.13
60' 2.22 1/8 mile 9.79 @ 72.16 1/4 mile 15.28 @ 88.94

My best last pass at almost 11:00 that night when the temp mid 50's was,

60' 2.53 1/8 mile 10.11 @ 71.98 1/4 mile 15.6 @ 88.60

Note the 60' time and 1/8 mile time then the 1/4 mile trap speed. Almost the same mph as my fastest pass but a lot slower 60 ft time and 1/8 mile time.

I basically drove it off the line and stood on it about 10 feet out. If I had better tires so it would hook up I am confident that the last pass woulda been in the 15 flat to 15.1 range!

This is the exact same setup as my log head except there is no cold air setup on the aluminum head. All I did was play with the jets...I never moved the timing at all or did anything else to the car.

I weighed it and with me in it it weighs 2748 lbs.

I'm confident with some sticky rear tires and a bit more tuning it will run a 14.96-14.99 @ 91

So the moral of the story is,

Modified log head Best ET 16.11 @ 83.65 mph 2.34 60'

Classic Inlines aluminum head 60' 2.22 1/8 mile 9.79 @ 72.16 1/4 mile 15.28 @ 88.94

I ran the numbers through an online hp calculator and heres what I got,

Your 66 mustang weighs about 2748 pounds and can complete a 1/4 mile in about 15.2 seconds. That means that you've got about 154.66 HP at the wheels, and about 201.06 HP at the flywheel.

I think this will make Mike extremely happy! :D :D ;)

Later,

Doug

Brilliant, that is Well done! :beer: :banana: :nod: :wow: (y) :party: :cool: :checks:

1 second at 2750 pounds is about 33 hp right off even with a less than optimal state of tune!

When you get to higher hp in an I6, its very hard to bolt on 33 hp!

It's dead easy to fit a 2-bbl alloy head on and make a an 90 hp engine get another 50 hp, but not a 160 hp engine another 30 hp, you reach diminishing returns real quick becasue all the bits must be in the zone!

Well done!

I'm confident with some sticky rear tires and a bit more tuning it will run a 14.96-14.99 @ 91

Doug, great job, i agree with you that there is still more there. Bill

Can doug or anyone give me info on what engine he is running 200 or 250. Did he put a different cam in or stock cam. and also what carb he is running it sounds like a 4 bbl. Those results sound great.
Thanks

A 15.2 right out of the box is an AWESOME time!!!!!

Congrats to mike and all involved ......i must admit this is a better time than I was expecting....

Congrats Doug. That's great news. And YES, it made me very happy. Thanks for the hard work and all your support. ;) :D

wcol":1bqptavr said:
Can doug or anyone give me info on what engine he is running 200 or 250. Did he put a different cam in or stock cam. and also what carb he is running it sounds like a 4 bbl. Those results sound great.
Thanks

Doug is running a 200ci which is bored 60 over, a felpro head gasket, zero deck height, and flat top pistons. He's also using roller tipped rockers, DUI ignition, ARP stuts & bolts, and a Holley 500cfm using 93 octane fuel. The aluminum cylinder head is straight out of the box, with no additional work done other than milling .012 to achive the targeted C/R (52-53cc chambers). The cam is a Classic Inlines (Clay Smith) 274H with a 110 lobe center. Static C/R is 10.23, with a Dynamic C/R of 8.38 (intake closes at 62* ABDC).

Once the new 4V intakes are done, I'll be shipping one to him. Not sure if he plans to stick with the 500 or go with a 4V (600cfm) carb? Later this fall, he plans to pull the head and go thru it (port & polish, port matching, deshrouding, etc). With the additional work and the new intake, it should be good for another 1/2 second, or more.

I also heard from 82F100 tonight. Will and Kelly were at it again this weekend, racing at Speedworld. I'm not sure, but I think he said Kelly's best time was an 11.46, which confirms it will run mid to low 11's consistantly. Can't wait till the new cam is installed, the head is worked over, and the new intake arrives. :shock:

Way to go Doug...that is awesome! High 14's are in the near future for sure. What rear tires are you running? I'll bet some Mickey Thompson drag radials would really make it HOOK!

Thank You...Thank you very much! :D :D :D :D

Exactly like Mike said! I'm also running a Classic Inlines 3500 rpm stall convertor and 3:80 gears.

Never even thought about a 600 Holley. Hmmm.... :unsure:

Right now I'm running 225 60 15 Cooper Cobras. Next time I go to the track I have another set of Cooper Cobras on steel wheels that are 215 50 15's. They are roughly 2.5" wider and 1" shorter.

I switched to a 3 core radiator yesterday. No overheating problem before....just needed a new radiator. Going to play with the timing a bit and look at the plugs and see if it can go a bit more richer.

I think it needs a front end alignment being I've taken over 50 lbs off the front end over the past year...the tires are starting to wear a bit funny.

Few other little things I'm going to try. Should be going back to the track the 1st part of July.

We went to watch the jet cars race last night so I hit the trip odometer to see how many miles round trip it is. 152.4 miles to go racing. Last night was the 6th time this year so far! ;)

Some Mickeys would be great, but I need to pay for some parts so money isnt going to go there right now ;) Gotta run whats in my shop.

Later,

Doug

Sounds like it needs more carburetor, Doug. Keep in mind that at the same pressure drop as a 4bbl, that carb is not flowing 500 cfm. More like 380.

Forget those formulas that compute CFM. This is a high performance engine that operates in a different realm. If engine builders stuck to those calculated numbers you would rarely see a carb bigger than 500 cfm.

A 600 cfm vacuum secondary would be more like what you need and still retain driveability.

Nice job Doug! Almost a full second off of the ET! Gotta love that!

We were also racing this weekend!
We had to really slow the car down so we wouldn't go faster than a 11.50.
We only were at 15lbs. of boost, I pulled some timing out, and shifted at 4800.
Kelly qualified 3rd out of 20 cars. Her dial in was a 11.57. She won the first round but broke out in the Second with a 11.47.

So far the Aluminum Cyl. head is working great! No problems whatsoever! Can't wait for the new intake manifold.....HINT! HINT! Mike! ;)

Mike,
You should be getting a few calls from a couple of people that we talked too. You'd better start stocking those heads!!!
Later,
Will

Back