All Small Six Tri-power tuning

This relates to all small sixes
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. V-E-R-Y Nice. Over 113% more net power than stock with just great preparation to head, cam induction and exhast.

:shock:

Wow, yeah! my stock engine dyno'd at 72hp max, and 140ft/tq at the rear wheels (y) on the 140 barrier! keep going, I wanna know what fine tuning those venturi can do
(mine was with the 1100 jetted lean 59 and pertronix in the LOM)

Are you running a mechanical fan or an electric fan? if mech, you can gain some more HP by going electric.

All pulley powered cooling. Only mods I will continue to research are big number gains 8-10 range. So I'm pretty good for now. Plus I rejetted the carbs when I got home from tuning so I now I picked up 3-5 HP more.

Nice numbers. What year cylinder do you have??

What cam are you running, rocker arms & flat top or dished pistons??

65 block 78 head that has had port work larger valves etc. Dual pattern Cam 268/78 adjustable rockers, dished pistons 9.5:1 comp ratio...

I guess the camshaft is a comp. cam. 1.5 or 1.6 rockers??

If any of the parts were purchased from classic inlines your dyno results could be posted on his dyno list.

Looks like dyno test 9 on his website is the closest compared to yours.

Your manual trans also helped you, instead of loosing 20-25% with a C-4 you only lost 15%.

Nice job. Are you going to dragstrip test it??

Headers were the only parts purchased form C.I. I had the cam ground through a local company that my builder knows Oregon Cam Grinders. Grind based off preformance habdbook grinds for my application. Rockers are stock ford adjustables of the small early head. Have to look at the DYno charts to see which one your referring to . Maybe at the track. Neighbot has a Gtech that I will hook up. I think with my 3:80 gears I should be able to run a 16 quarter? just going off some other 1/4 times with similiar builds.

Hope things are still progressing okay.

I'm delighted with your results.

I'm looking at duplicating the set-up over here in NZ for my Mustang. I tend to think that there is much more hidden in the later post 78 log head/Offy tripower conversion.

As port of my log head EFI conversion I've got to do a basic tripower conversion, and then look at a CI alloy head version long term. Meantime, keep us all posted Kevin.

The 60ft times will be the deciding factor , If I plug in your numbers I get ( this is a all out dedicated Strip car number ) 13.70's @94 mph assuming the car weighs around 2800. with driver , but a real world number is more like mid 14's at the same mph , have fun

:beer: Your build and research is looking VERY good.Keep up the good work.On the jet size that you mentioned,unless I read wrong,200mm would be almost an 8" jet.
Good luck and have fun.
Leo

Reduced my jetting back to my Dyno Jet sizes 190/175/190 was getting a weird bog / hesitation when I bumped up to the 200/190/200 jetting. PLus I started getting a lean reading in my 5/6 cylinders. SO I just went back to where things looked the best and to where I had good dyno numbers.

OK after jetting experimenting and reading my FAST A/F monitor, and a huge thanks to Extacy I did as suggested and went to 185 mains for all three. Cruise readings 13.5/ WOT reading 12.5. Car pulls so much nicer. I was just over jetting with the 190/175/190 WOT A/F was dropping to 10.7..

Kevin, 16’s won’t be any problem. I’ve run a 16.8 with the stock jet settings. It’s amazing I didn’t smoke it. It wasn’t bad until after the 1/8 then it would just lay down. I hate to guess what the readings were then.

Our setups do not seem that different. I have installed an AF meter and my best numbers to date are a solid 12 WOT and at cruise it varies some between 13.5 and 14.

Jet sizes are 185 on the secondary’s and a 170 on the primary. I have pulled all the plugs and they look great, not a bit lean.

The initial timing is set at 14 with no sign of detonation. My compression ratio is a little lower than yours at just under 9 to 1

Just for reference engine specs are: 200 40over, 78 head ported and polished, stock valves three angle vale job, roller tipped 6:1 rockers, 3 single barrel Webbers, dual roller timing chain, 268/274 cam, CI dual out headers into dual exhaust out back,
I use a T5 to a 3.58 limited slip diff.

I have had too much work to do on the house but should be able to get to the track in a couple of weeks for a new set of numbers. Getting on a dyno is another goal I have for the near future.

Gene

your right on track.. Based on my cruise #'s I could drop down to a 175 primary jet. I like my transitional #'s though running the 185 jet un the primary. I am 3/4 turn out on the idle mixture with an A/F of 13.8 at Idle. WOT is 12.3-12.5.. Much better top end.

kevinl1058":jm9dr91c said:
your right on track.. Based on my cruise #'s I could drop down to a 175 primary jet. I like my transitional #'s though running the 185 jet un the primary. I am 3/4 turn out on the idle mixture with an A/F of 13.8 at Idle. WOT is 12.3-12.5.. Much better top end.

Kevin,
Hi there, just found this thread and your car thanks to xctasy and the other thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71224

So, I try to keep a database for the Gonkulator (computer program I wrote), keyed in your combo as best I could, guessed at the Oregon cam at 224-230-110 with a 106 ICL, hyd with .509 .512 lift by blending two Oregon lobes off their sheet. Close?

So the Gonkulator pretty well lined up with your open hood chassis dyno, and said:
GROSS tq/hp (SAE gross, 60F 29.92 dry air, open exhaust, no belts etc)
Torq 214 at 4100
Powr 200 at 5500
Down the track assuming 2800lb w/driver as xctasy assumed (have you weighed it?)
10.17 at 70.3
15.88 at 85.4
Might go a little faster due to that slick smooth black paint job!!
I noticed you had been to All Ford Day (Woodburn?) the track prep is usually pretty good there at least when we went, its kinda fun to show and run your car at the same show if you want some times or have you had it to the strip since this kinda old thread?

I have not yet run the car down the track. I was still running airover leafs last time I was at the all ford show. Have since 4 linked so I know the car would hook up much better through the 60'. Will plan on running some 1/8th mile at PIR this spring though. Just eager to see what the car will do.

Mine's getting closer to being ready to be put on... What did you use to move the center carb fuel intake line to driver's side? Can you possibly e-mail me some good high res pics of your setup on both sides?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back