DUI Distributor Shaft & Bushings Binding From Lack 0f Lub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsa111

Distributor Recurving.
Staff member
VIP
Approved Vendor
Supporter 2018
Any one running a DUI distributor should be aware of insufficient oiling to the distributor shaft & bushings.
I just received & modified another distributor to fix this problem again. The customer was not aware his distributor was very close to being seized.
Anyone running a DUI should remove it & check for potential binding & eventually seizing of the shaft & advance due to a design defect which will possibly starve this area of proper lubrication.
This is a fine distributor once a proper amount of lubrication is feed to the shaft & bushings. Another issue is a rotor which binds the centrifugal advance mechanism. This condition does not occur on every DUI, but should be checked.
The only thing saving many of these DUI's is high crankcase pressure pushing some lubrication to these critical areas.
The Ford DS II is designed properly to prevent both these potential conditions.
Yes this design problem can be fixed, i have done several on DUI's where this problem is present.
I spoke with Performance distributors concerning the rotor problem & they were not aware of this condition. Its very possible the owner of the DUI installed a defective rotor.
The lack of upper shaft oiling has been mentioned before. Bill

Bill... what info do you need to recurve and what is the charge.... i might as well get mine done while its down for bodywork.also lube mod.....

If you own a DUI distributor you might have upper shaft oiling concerns.
The modification to fix this problem also benefits extra distributor gear oiling in addition to the oiling groove done to #2 & #3 lifters.
2sdGoOOb.jpg

This modification involves complete dissembling the DUI to fix this condition.
That would be the time to get the so called custom curved unit modified for your combination.
billythedistributorman@live.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back