Engine Temp Problem

embergloP51

Hey all,

As winter is coming, and my 66 Mustang is my DD, I'm trying to get my heater sorted. Everything is working fine, but my engine won't warm up. Has anybody else had this problem?

I've tried everything I can think of to get the engine running hotter but nothing helps. So far I've: changed my thermostat, changed spark plugs, flushed the heater core and block and radiator, and blocked off the airflow to the radiator.

Blocking off the airflow to the radiator is the only thing that has made any difference at all. Even then it takes at least 30 minutes of revving pretty high to get the heater core to warm up.

Any suggestions on what else I can try to make it run hotter?

... is it the engine or the heater not getting hot?, check your heater hoses to and from heater coil, if one gets hot and one does not'. it may be partially blocked.

Just took a trip up through Vermont with my '63 amd hooked up heater - DEFROSTER for first time. Heater core was OK but remains (? :unsure: ) in heater box needed cleaning. Short cut instead of removing heater was hole-sawed' 2" access ports for a vacuum in the fiberglas heater coil plenum under glove box.

have fun

Thanks powerband,

I think both hoses are getting warm. I flushed the core and hoses and block and radiator so I don't think there's a blockage anywhere. When I seal the grill off the engine warms up some and the heater starts blowing kind of warm air. I don't think it gets nearly as warm as it should be.

You might check to see if your heater hoses are reversed the heater won't work as good if they are not hooked up (or routed) in the correct way. Good luck :nod:

I had the same conditions several years ago.

I just THOUGHT there were no blockages - when in reality it turned out the heater core was a mess.

And, yes, I (too) had flushed everything.

1st & cheepest is timing probs.
Timed wrong can get hot.
Bubba has a great post (several times) on base , initial timing (& tune).
Following it will get U to a 'pinging' situation. @ that point U just 'turn it back' a lill by ear.

Let's C if we can find his guidelines...

Back