Catalytic converters

Moderator: Mod Squad

psa1sonic
Registered User
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:56 pm

Catalytic converters

Post #1 by psa1sonic » Sun May 13, 2018 11:08 am

So I have stock exhaust atm.
Air
Egr
H02s
Walker 80612 CalCat Universal Catalytic Converter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049J5710/re ... -AbZYBWSV7
I saw this if I use this could I eliminate my smog system as I would be far close to the manifolds. My truck is in Harris county Houston now and has to be emissions tested. Should this work?

User avatar
bubba22349
Global Moderator
Posts: 7930
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:46 pm
Location: Flagstaff, Az. 86005 near the old Route 66

Re: Catalytic converters

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:47 pm

:hmmm: I doubt it that you could eliminate your smog system by using that cat. Better look up what's required in your area first, as an example when smog testing my 1994 F150 (Calif.) it had to pass both a visual test (ie all factory emissions equipment in place) plus the emissions chassis load test. Mine was tough to get it to pass even with everything in place and working correctly it barely passed the Emissions Test. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

psa1sonic
Registered User
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Catalytic converters

Post #3 by psa1sonic » Mon May 21, 2018 1:24 am

bubba22349 wrote::hmmm: I doubt it that you could eliminate your smog system by using that cat. Better look up what's required in your area first, as an example when smog testing my 1994 F150 (Calif.) it had to pass both a visual test (ie all factory emissions equipment in place) plus the emissions chassis load test. Mine was tough to get it to pass even with everything in place and working correctly it barely passed the Emissions Test. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:


I was wondering if it would actually work better. Because the cat will be three feet closer to the manifolds. As it sit now it’s under the bed. Factory locations. No way it can retain the proper heat nessasary to function. Ie the smog and thermactor. Most modern car cats are built in to the manifolds.
Well I’m gonna try it out see what happens. I do know that wrapping the manifolds and exhaust really help the system retain the egt. So many I’ll pass emissions with it not on there

User avatar
bubba22349
Global Moderator
Posts: 7930
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:46 pm
Location: Flagstaff, Az. 86005 near the old Route 66

Re: Catalytic converters

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:24 am

psa1sonic wrote:
bubba22349 wrote::hmmm: I doubt it that you could eliminate your smog system by using that cat. Better look up what's required in your area first, as an example when smog testing my 1994 F150 (Calif.) it had to pass both a visual test (ie all factory emissions equipment in place) plus the emissions chassis load test. Mine was tough to get it to pass even with everything in place and working correctly it barely passed the Emissions Test. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:


I was wondering if it would actually work better. Because the cat will be three feet closer to the manifolds. As it sit now it’s under the bed. Factory locations. No way it can retain the proper heat nessasary to function. Ie the smog and thermactor. Most modern car cats are built in to the manifolds.
Well I’m gonna try it out see what happens. I do know that wrapping the manifolds and exhaust really help the system retain the egt. So many I’ll pass emissions with it not on there


:hmmm: what year is your truck that sounds like something is wrong on the location for cat being under the bed. Mine were right beside the transmission, with only a short y pipe off the exhaust manifold's. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

psa1sonic
Registered User
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Catalytic converters

Post #5 by psa1sonic » Mon May 21, 2018 6:12 am

bubba22349 wrote:
psa1sonic wrote:
bubba22349 wrote::hmmm: I doubt it that you could eliminate your smog system by using that cat. Better look up what's required in your area first, as an example when smog testing my 1994 F150 (Calif.) it had to pass both a visual test (ie all factory emissions equipment in place) plus the emissions chassis load test. Mine was tough to get it to pass even with everything in place and working correctly it barely passed the Emissions Test. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:


I was wondering if it would actually work better. Because the cat will be three feet closer to the manifolds. As it sit now it’s under the bed. Factory locations. No way it can retain the proper heat nessasary to function. Ie the smog and thermactor. Most modern car cats are built in to the manifolds.
Well I’m gonna try it out see what happens. I do know that wrapping the manifolds and exhaust really help the system retain the egt. So many I’ll pass emissions with it not on there


:hmmm: what year is your truck that sounds like something is wrong on the location for cat being under the bed. Mine were right beside the transmission, with only a short y pipe off the exhaust manifold's. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:


Mine may have been replaced once before. But my smog pump bracket broke. So I need her to pass Montgomery/Harris county emissions.
I wish I could post a picture but my options clicky no jala.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests