Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

Adjusting the choke on a 1940 - getting stuck

Moderator: Mod Squad

gimmea250swb

Adjusting the choke on a 1940 - getting stuck

Post #1 by gimmea250swb » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:20 am

I appreciate everybody's help so far. I've rebuilt my Holley 1940 and am having issues with the choke I hope some folks can help me with.

The issue is the choke is getting stuck in the open position after driving and when I hit the accelerator it doesn't close.

I've removed al the metal links, cams, etc that were showing a little rust and have brushed them smooth.

When I rebuilt the choke I removed the thermostat and dipped it in carb cleaner for about 20mins with everything else - I've since seen on the web not to do this but I can't find the article now. Could this have damaged the thermostat?

I sprayed a little WD40 on the metal links and on the point where the valve shaft transitions through the body - I haven't had a chance to check to see if this solved the issue.

I'm adjusting the thermostat with a cold engine and 1/8" brill bit.

Any additional troubleshooting thoughts?

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Adjusting the choke on a 1940 - getting stuck

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:07 pm

Yes the choke cover (thermostat) shouldn't be put Into carb cleaner though if it was rinsed off good after it only being in for a 20 min soak its probably not harmed. With the choke cover off dose the choke open and close freely without any binding? The choke cover should be set to 1 or 2 Rich past the center Idex Mark (this will depend on how cold it is in your cars local area) so as to give it enough of a spring pressure to close the choke when engine is cold. With the fast idle cam set on the Idex point the idel RPM should be 1200 to 1500 RPM. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.