Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

How involved is a t-5 swap?

Moderator: Mod Squad

glennvalentine

How involved is a t-5 swap?

Post #1 by glennvalentine » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:36 pm

I have a 65 vert with a 200. I want to lose the 3-spd and get a t-5 from a 4cyl. How involved is this? Also, where can I get a complete list of items, such as adapters, bellhousing or mounts, that I will need to do the swap? What will be reusable.

datac

Re: How involved is a t-5 swap?

Post #2 by datac » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:07 pm

I recently did this same swap in my '65 convertible.

I'd advise against the 4cyl T5, mostly because 1st gear is too low to be of much use. I ended up paying $800 for a V8 T5 rebuilt to my specs with custom gearing (3.35 1st and 0.72 OD). I spent some time with an online gearing calculator to figure out just what I needed, and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Assuming it's the original '65 block and you're running the 8.5" salad bowl clutch, you'll need the larger spline clutch disk (IIRC same as a Ford Ranger 2.3 and similar), a V8-style throwout bearing, likely a new pressure plate while you're in there, an adapter plate, new crossmember, and probably some sort of T5 shift lever. You'll also need a larger splined slip yoke if you're running the 2.77 3-sp, and the proper U-joint setup to mate the new yoke to the tiny stock U-joints on your driveshaft. In many instances it's necessary to shorten the driveshaft by an inch or so, so you might be able to get by with swapping the whole end from a V8 or C4 driveshaft.

Aside from the T5 itself, I'd highly advise that you buy everything as a package from Modern Driveline or someone with similar expertise.

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #3 by powerband » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:20 pm

T5 conversion makes the 200 six a whole different animal. The V8 T5's gearing allows more efficient use of the torquey' powerband and improves drivability for modern driving from traffic to interstate cruise speeds .

Just recently T5 "conversion" adapters for the early 2.77 tranny are now available. , The later 200's with with V8 type Toploader 3 speeds were much simpler T5 conversions until recent 'early' adpater appeared.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-plate-T ... bu&vxp=mtr

I have a '63 and a 61' with typical 'V8 T5's, both use the original clutch linkage , the '63 uses original six rear end which is about right. The T5 swap is not quite bolt-in simple because the cars' DS tunnel needs some help to fit Mustang shifter location. The gearing of early Falcon rear ends' are typically 3.50:1 which works great with typical V8 T5. One important detail is the Driveshaft may need to be modified for length or to fit different universal. (NO CONVERSION U-JOINTS available (afaik) for small 1100 series to 1300 series universals. )

The "S10 T5 Tail" conversion seems overly complicated unless original 4 speed look is needed. The Mustang shifter location is in a better position.

have fun

Image . Image . Image

"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."

65-coupe

Post #4 by 65-coupe » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:56 pm

Moderndriveline.com has alot of good info and parts. I have a 4cyl T5 with a 3.40 rear gear. It has been great for me other then the od gear is a .79. So I am 2800 rpm at 80 mph.
1965 Mustang coupe, SPI Orange with custom TMI interior, 250 DUI, CI alum head ported, 274/274 110 Clay Smith cam, 1.65 roller rockers, Holley 390 4bbl, Lokar pedals and throttle calbe. Street or track front coilovers suspension, CI headers stainless with Jet-Hot ceramic coating, CI Stainless 2" impostor dual exhaust, 17x8 Coys C-67 wheels,

65fback

Post #5 by 65fback » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:33 am

Following up on what datac said - your first step really should be to check the P/N on your engine block before you start gathering parts and/or seeing what the $ is going to be. My '65 came to me with a '66 block when I bought it 4 years ago - along with the wrong transmission.
'65 Mustang Fastback