Classic Mustang Security?

Moderator: Mod Squad

Dieseler

Classic Mustang Security?

Post #1 by Dieseler » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:28 pm

Due to circumstances my '66 Mustang is going to become my daily driver for quite awhile. So that means she wont be living in the safe security of my parents garage, instead she'll be braving the wild college world of my apartment parking lot. While I'm not overly worried, I figure better safe than sorry!

I relocated my battery to the trunk awhile back, so I think I'll add a battery disconnect switch with a small, fused power line to keep my interior lights and radio working even with the main power disconnected.

I dont really like the look of locking hoodpins so I'll use a cable lock to secure the hood. Additionally I'll be making a cover for the starter relay so it will not be so easily hotwired. I figured a locking gascap is just a smart idea period.

Beyond this the only things I could think of would be a steeringwheel/pedal lock and alarm system.

What are your opinions on securing a classic vehicle? I realize you can never stop a thief/vandal.... but you can sure make their job a pain and slow them down some.

simon

Post #2 by simon » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:11 am

Don´t leave anything inside the car, like backpacks, tools, camera, cd´s, groceries...
the less stuff there are visible in the passenger compartment, the better.

grounding the coil with a hidden switch could be another way to protect your car against those thieves who are just looking out for a joyride.
before some crash of this site, I had more than 1.400 posts on this site. Bleh, who cares?
There's no strength in numbers...

CobraSix
VIP Member

Post #3 by CobraSix » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:32 am

Realize this. You'll never be able to stop the serious professional thief that uses flatbeds. Consider LoJak.

You've taken some good steps. I actually never lock my car, even in mall parking lots. I don't keep anything in the car. My radio in the glove box is a cheapy ($80) so if someone steals it...gives me a good excuse to replace it. The real reason I don't lock my car is that my $80 stereo is much cheaper then my $500 top. If someone wants in my car, they'll get it.

Grounding the coil is a good idea. My MSD allows me to wire a grounding switch to keep it from starting. I also occasionally pull a connecting wire to the MSD (I put quick connects on all of the wires).

Remove the rotor. All other wiring mods can eventually be gotten around, trust me. The rotor removal will require the person to have knowledge of old cars and then a trip to a local autoparts store.

Biggest thing to do: Replacement Valued Insurance Coverage. That way if it does get swiped, you can get it replaced.

Slade
Slade
My Website
My How to's

Engine: 200 CI, Oz 250 modified for 4V Holley 390CFM, DS II Ignition, 40kV Flamethrower, MSD Digital 6+
Drivetrain: Cable Clutch, V-8 T5, 8" 5 Lug Rear End, 5-Lug SSBC Front Brakes, 3.40:1 Posi

Jammer
VIP Member

Post #4 by Jammer » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:41 pm

I did a search many moons ago for a mercury switch that can be put in your car engine area, trunk whatever and also an extra relay that works of the pin switch where the door is..(interior lights)...it has a remote activation and cancel....key fob so you can carry it with your keys.

When you set it...and the door opens..the lights come on and so does the siren...if someone moves it hard..the mercury switch activates and does the same thing. You will need to add a horn but the circuit resets in 5 mins...so you dont run your battery down. Cancel it and you can get in and drive like normal.

66 Mustang 200 Sprint new susp, KYB's, 8"-3:25 rear, front discs w/11" rotors, boosted dual M/C, BFG TA's on TT2's, 250 head & valves, DUI kit, 268 cam, dual roller timing, hyd lifters & roller rockers, ported/polished, 3angle v-grind, great FSPP headers and a T5. http://www.cardomain.com/id/66muscle

rickwrench

Post #5 by rickwrench » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:56 pm

If you don't smoke, a simple, and nearly free (four feet of wire) theft deterent is to run a wire from your distributor side coil power lead to the cigarette lighter power lead (disconnecting the lighter's original power lead, of course). Push in the lighter when you leave the car and, viola, the ignition system is grounded. There isn't enough juice on that side of the coil to heat the lighter up hot enough to pop it when the ignition is powered.
Alternately, a hidden toggle switch wired the same way.
Rick(wrench)
'62 Falcon Wagons (x2), Kellison J5, V8 Alfa GTam, Corvair Corsa:
www.rickwrench.com

chazthephoenix

Post #6 by chazthephoenix » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:17 pm

hey thats cool....

i might try that

Jammer
VIP Member

Post #7 by Jammer » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:00 pm

Al,

Non plussed here...the bad guys get your car no matter what. A siren is more of a scare tactic and somebody thats around my car with the sirens going off and no way to start it...is suspicious enough to get noticed. I dont let my wife, my car or my dog out of my sight in public anyways. Two might get stolen and the other would spend me to death.

I got admit the horns in the car is way cool though. :idea: Ala Ricks idea had me for a moment...I was hoping that who ever started the car would be welded to the steering wheel until you got back. :twisted:

66 Mustang 200 Sprint new susp, KYB's, 8"-3:25 rear, front discs w/11" rotors, boosted dual M/C, BFG TA's on TT2's, 250 head & valves, DUI kit, 268 cam, dual roller timing, hyd lifters & roller rockers, ported/polished, 3angle v-grind, great FSPP headers and a T5. http://www.cardomain.com/id/66muscle

Kinky6
VIP Member

Post #8 by Kinky6 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:31 am

Instead of the cable locks for the hood, you might look at using a similar unit that uses a flush mount barrel lock; it engages the top of a shaped pin and is located the same as the cable lock upright pins. They have a neater profile than the hood pins or cable locks, and are harder to tamper with.
'66 Mustang Fastback
'39 Chevy 2-Door

CobraSix
VIP Member

Post #9 by CobraSix » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:01 pm

Jammer wrote:Al,
I got admit the horns in the car is way cool though. :idea: Ala Ricks idea had me for a moment...I was hoping that who ever started the car would be welded to the steering wheel until you got back. :twisted:

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading it.

Slade
Slade

My Website

My How to's

Engine: 200 CI, Oz 250 modified for 4V Holley 390CFM, DS II Ignition, 40kV Flamethrower, MSD Digital 6+

Drivetrain: Cable Clutch, V-8 T5, 8" 5 Lug Rear End, 5-Lug SSBC Front Brakes, 3.40:1 Posi

Dieseler

Post #10 by Dieseler » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:12 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Rick: I really like the idea of using the cig lighter as a kill switch! Very nice and clean.

Al: Actually I had considered the internal siren, Nothing says "get bent" like a 120+ dB inside a small container!

CobraSix
VIP Member

Post #11 by CobraSix » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:39 pm

I can't imagine. I've had 120Db in open spaces...even my house alarm is 120 and it's deafening if you are in teh same room.

Slade
Slade

My Website

My How to's

ags290

Re: Classic Mustang Security?

Post #12 by ags290 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:13 am

+1 To the pull the rotor idea.
Kevin
Early 1965 Mustang with a 170

cr_bobcat

Post #13 by cr_bobcat » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:14 pm

I always pulled the rotor and disconnected one side of the solenoid. In one other "feature" of mine is that the park pressure switch doesn't always engage. So someone would have to be savy enough to figure multiple things out. Most people these days don't know how to change oil let alone how a 50yr old car is designed. So just those few simple things are more than sufficient.

That being said, the cigarette lighter approach is pretty sweet, I must say.
Block: Stock C8 Block/pistons, C9-M head, 1.75/1.5 valves, dual spring, 1.65 RAU Rockers, port divider, direct mount Holley 4412-500, HEI w/20* advance, manifold vac, dual-out Arvinode exhaust, Clay Smith 264/274 110* installed w/ 4* advance, adjustable dual chain timing, C4 w/ shift kit, 3.20 (TBC) rear ratio, 9.44 SCR / 7.97 DCR

Build that Six with parts from http://www.vintageinlines.com

BigF80

Post #14 by BigF80 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:51 pm

Have any of you had a Ravelco system installed in your car?