Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

'66 Mustang under hood measurements

Moderator: Mod Squad

central_texan

'66 Mustang under hood measurements

Post #1 by central_texan » Sun May 23, 2010 10:30 am

Hello all, I need to know the distance between the shock towers on a '66 Mustang. I don't think the body style makes a difference but in case it does I need it for the convertible.
I'm installing a Monte Carlo bar and an export brace and I want to be sure that everything is true before I bolt it all down. Thanks

dagenham

Re: '66 Mustang under hood measurements

Post #2 by dagenham » Sun May 23, 2010 2:37 pm

The best place for that info is the factory shop manual. There is a wealth of dimensions in the body/chassis chapter.
By now using the measurements from another car could cause more headaches than it would cure.
If you are really concerned about how straight the unibody is, maybe you should find a good frame shop and have them check the car on there equipment and have the monte carlo bar put on while they have it on a frame rack.
just my .02

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Re: '66 Mustang under hood measurements

Post #3 by CoupeBoy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:37 pm

it doesn't matter what the specs are.. seriously..

Just get the braces to fit and then you will be in spec.

Think about it for a minute or 2. If you find the perfect specification table and then you use a port-a-power and put the shock towers exactly the right distance from the firewall and each other and the braces do not fit. You will have to move them still. If you use a port-a-power (or jack up the unibody and let it settle) until the braces fit, either way the body should be in the same place (in respect to all bolted in braces)

Second point to think about. If your car is out of spec now and everything functions, no matter which 'alignment' process you use to put it 'in spec' you will have to re-align your car.

Nobody is going to ever know if your car is out of spec, at the rate these cars were made in the 60's they came off the assembly line out of spec. Just make the braces fit and you will be good to go.

-ron