Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Single exhaust intallation trouble

Moderator: Mod Squad

sparky65

Single exhaust intallation trouble

Post #1 by sparky65 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:33 pm

I am having trouble installing my exhaust system in my 67 Mustang. I just bought a reproduction from NPD but I cant seem to get it to fit. First of all is cutting and bending usually required? The biggest problem seems to be with the intermediate pipe. Just before it enters the muffler where it bends up and over the axle hits the trunk floor when I try to raise the end by the inlet pipe a few inches off the ground. Even if I take the end out of the muffler the inlet end is angled so far down there is no way it will line up with the inlet pipe. Also the inlet pipe seems to be a few inches too long to fit in the intermediate pipe. Has anyone had similar problems with this system? If this is common and I need to make it work how do I re-bend the pipe? I remember from when I used to bend conduit that it was impossible in most cases to remove a bend without flattening or kinking it.
Thanks,
Steve

67 Mustang I6 restoration in progress

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Re: Single exhaust intallation trouble

Post #2 by rbohm » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:00 am

8) make sure that you are putting the pipe end in the right muffler opening, as i recall it should go in the bottom opening and the outlet pipe goes in the top.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

Frankenstang

Post #3 by Frankenstang » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:08 pm

I tried heating and bending, rather unbending, on the tailpipe section of my hodge-podge 2" setup...it worked with mixed results using an oxy/acet rig I am inexperienced with (key was hot enough without cutting :shock: ...less/little oxygen IIRC)...and not sure I didn't impair the quality of pipe at the heat point...it sure isn't pretty. Muffler layout as Rich mentioned and/or rotating the pipe upon it's connection points** may help. Good exhaust pipe seems far too heavy a gauge for this mere mortal to bend without some mechanical or chemical assistance.

You might also double check your layout...'67 is the odd duck, right? that crosses from passenger side to driver side? Like in this pic:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/images/1000/EXK5B.jpg

I would still think it needs to hug the tranny tunnel on the intermediate pipe, but otherwise not too famialr with the layout. Maybe someone has a pic of a stock setup they could share...that would probably be the best reference.
Good luck!

**Edit: using some high temp teflon type anti-seeze made this more feasible
-Robert
66 Mustang 200+30, 67 BH, 89 4cyl T-5, 71 Comet 4 lug 8" 3:1rear, 85 T-Bird v6 DS, 10 Mallory Unilite Hyfire VI-A, 08 Vaporizer 1bbl, 68 Cougar 2" exhuast,65 pipe, 74 Mav man disc m/c & Scarebird(87 Stanza rotors 89 Cavalier calipers), 73 Datsun 240z Appliance Wire Mags, 03 Mustang Leather seats
All in one car! Johnny Cash would be proud...I got it One Piece at a Time

sparky65

Post #4 by sparky65 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:24 pm

yep checked that and I have it right.
Thanks,
Steve

sparky65

Post #5 by sparky65 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Frankenstang wrote:You might also double check your layout...'67 is the odd duck, right? that crosses from passenger side to driver side? Like in this pic:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/images/1000/EXK5B.jpg

I would still think it needs to hug the tranny tunnel on the intermediate pipe, but otherwise not too famialr with the layout. Maybe someone has a pic of a stock setup they could share...that would probably be the best reference.
Good luck!

Thats the layout. As far as I can tell 67 was the only year setup like this.
Thanks,
Steve

fordconvert
VIP Member

Post #6 by fordconvert » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:19 pm

If it just needs a single bend it may be easier to just notch it with a hack saw then find someone to weld it for you. I have done that a few times when things were not quite right.
TJ H

Had a 66 mustang coupe, traded in for a 93 convert 2.3.
73 Eldorado convert 8.2 megasquirt, 80 Eldorado 5.7 diesel, 96 Suburban 6.5TD, 05 Magnum 5.7 hemi.

dagenham

Post #7 by dagenham » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:44 pm

Did you contact NPD and ask thaem if they have had anyone else with this problem???? I have delt with them in the past but have never had any problems with them. There's always that first time though.
I have never had to rebend or modify any replacement exhaust pieces. I have Walker exhaust parts on my car and it almost fell on to the car.

sparky65

Post #8 by sparky65 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:33 pm

dagenham wrote:Did you contact NPD and ask thaem if they have had anyone else with this problem???? I have delt with them in the past but have never had any problems with them. There's always that first time though.

Yea I called them up they said they never had anyone else with a problem. So we went through and double checked that I had the right part for the application. They wanted to take it back but I wanted to play with it some more first just to make sure it really wont work. I just called them again and told them I give up take it back and compare it to some others and see if its just a bad one.
Thanks,
Steve