Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

upper control arm question

Moderator: Mod Squad

brianproctorla

upper control arm question

Post #1 by brianproctorla » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:25 pm

i have a 65 mustang coupe.
I had the entire front suspension out for a disc conversion complete with with adjustable struts, adjustable lower control arms, shelby drop, roller perches, and baer bump steer kit.
In bolting everything back, something funky is going on with my upper control arms (which are currently compressed with a compressor that bolts to the tower and perch)
As I remove spring tension from (spring compressor) from the upper control arms, the arm swings north to south and basically bottoms out on the shock tower mount. (135 degree ange from chasis)
The lower control arm should have no spring tension, so why does my upper arm travel all the way down? Shouldn't the travel stop at an approximate right angle to the chasis?

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: upper control arm question

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:55 am

As I remove spring tension from (spring compressor) from the upper control arms, the arm swings north to south and basically bottoms out on the shock tower mount. (135 degree ange from chasis)
The lower control arm should have no spring tension, so why does my upper arm travel all the way down?

This is normal because of the coil spring load. :nod:

Shouldn't the travel stop at an approximate right angle to the chasis?

When you put the car back on the ground again with the loaded weight of the car and engine it will be setting right! :beer:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

brianproctorla

Post #3 by brianproctorla » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:16 am

Thanks for the reply!

If that is the case, I can get the adjustable control arms and spindle fitted, but the sway bar bushings seem way off.
Something looks strange about the angle and the length (too much of a gap)

Frankenstang

Post #4 by Frankenstang » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Any pics you can share of the setup? You'll have to have a photo hosting account with Photobucket, Image Shack or the like to post them here, but a few pics of the setup may help identify issues.

brianproctorla wrote:If that is the case, I can get the adjustable control arms and spindle fitted, but the sway bar bushings seem way off.

To be honest I'm a bit puzzled by your description of allignment, but that's probably just me not being able to picture the setup. If your spindles are not yet installed and/or the strut rods then that may explain some of the allignment issues experiencing at the control arms :?: :? Good luck!
-Robert
66 Mustang 200+30, 67 BH, 89 4cyl T-5, 71 Comet 4 lug 8" 3:1rear, 85 T-Bird v6 DS, 10 Mallory Unilite Hyfire VI-A, 08 Vaporizer 1bbl, 68 Cougar 2" exhuast,65 pipe, 74 Mav man disc m/c & Scarebird(87 Stanza rotors 89 Cavalier calipers), 73 Datsun 240z Appliance Wire Mags, 03 Mustang Leather seats
All in one car! Johnny Cash would be proud...I got it One Piece at a Time

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:21 pm

As above when the car is on the ground again you will than be able to fit the sway bar links too. :thumbup:

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

brianproctorla

Post #6 by brianproctorla » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Frankenstang

Post #7 by Frankenstang » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:17 pm

I see now said the blind man :lol: Yep, bubba's got ya steered right. Looks like you've got full deflection at the lower control arm (those get spring load via connection to the spindle). You can either set the car down, or just jack up each lower control arm and attach the strut rods. With the car suspended I think jacking up each LCA is easier for setting the strut rods because it allows the assembly to flext fore and aft w/o bearing all the chasis weight. Strut rods kinda act like radial arms upfront on this old type suspension and will prevent the complete deflection you're seeing (ie you're showing in your pictures show).

Then I'd do as bubba suggests and mount the sway bar with the car weight on the suspension (ie car on the ground). But you should be able to jack each side of the suspension from underneath the LCA and attach strut rods that will prevent the complete (excessive) deflection in your pics. Getting close :thumbup: Good luck!
-Robert
66 Mustang 200+30, 67 BH, 89 4cyl T-5, 71 Comet 4 lug 8" 3:1rear, 85 T-Bird v6 DS, 10 Mallory Unilite Hyfire VI-A, 08 Vaporizer 1bbl, 68 Cougar 2" exhuast,65 pipe, 74 Mav man disc m/c & Scarebird(87 Stanza rotors 89 Cavalier calipers), 73 Datsun 240z Appliance Wire Mags, 03 Mustang Leather seats

brianproctorla

Post #8 by brianproctorla » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:53 pm

Whew!!! That's a relief. It is has taken so long for me to get all of the components that I got really bummed when I couldn't progress.
Thanks for all of the help! I really appreciated it.

The goal is for the front to be shelby dropped, shim eliminated (arizona mustang shop boxed lower control arms, and global west adjustable struts), with scarebird disc brakes, oversized sway bar, baer bump steer arms, open tracker roller idler arm / perches, and shelby quick steer. It has taken me over a year to get all of this stuff together. Also, I just refinished some 14 inch aluminum "general lee" style vector rims. Now I can finally see an end in site for the front suspension and brakes. Thanks again!

Frankenstang

Post #9 by Frankenstang » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:42 pm

brianproctorla wrote:The goal is for the front to be shelby dropped, shim eliminated (arizona mustang shop boxed lower control arms, and global west adjustable struts), with scarebird disc brakes, oversized sway bar, baer bump steer arms, open tracker roller idler arm / perches, and shelby quick steer.

WOW! That's a nice setup! :beer: Gotta think that's about as 'performance' minded as you could go on a stock assembly. I for one will be interested to hear how you like the final results. I'd really like to do the roller perches and probably the roller idlers at some point myself....and have always been curious about the 'shelby quick steer'.

If you don't have an FSM you might use the Comet FAQ site for references from a '64 FSM...it's about the same as you can see here:
http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.ph ... Page=3-008

The 'shim' displayed on this page (fig 3) is a good go between for keeping your suspension alligned and prevent binding during assembly...
http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.ph ... Page=3-009

Personally I like the combo of the 'hi-performance' yet stock assembly....and the 'vintage' wheels are a nice icing on the cake IMO...Good luck :!:
-Robert

brianproctorla

Post #10 by brianproctorla » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:49 pm

I did a lot of buying and selling of performance parts in the winter. I'm probably the only person to sell 289 hipo heads and a 302 boss block (both parts were bought for the purpose of selling) to hop up an i6. I'm all in on the inline.
Btw if anyone has a 65, the az mustang shop lower control arms are the bomb. They eliminate shims and are boxed. Customer service was also awesome

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #11 by bubba22349 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:54 pm

Looks like a nice combo of parts :thumbup: