Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Is a metal heater hose tube stock

Moderator: Mod Squad

timber67

Is a metal heater hose tube stock

Post #1 by timber67 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:30 pm

I would like to know if a metal tube between the carb and head is stock. I have been told it is not. No ford markings or part number - so I am suspect. But, I have seen the same tube on another 67 I6 200 engine with AC. I have AC as well. The owner told me it was original. Also, if anyone can help me with the 90 degree placement of the heater hoses, I would appreciate the input. I know one 90 degree goes on the heater control valve, but I do no know where the second one goes. I suspect at the head next to the AC compressor.

ludwig
VIP Member

Re: Is a metal heater hose tube stock

Post #2 by ludwig » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:55 am

Maybe you are talking about the heated carb spacer? It is shaped much the same as the carb base but has tubes out either end for the coolant on its way to the heater core under the dash.

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1965- ... pacer.html

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

timber67

Post #3 by timber67 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:50 pm

I am new to the forum and could not find a way to post a an image. Here is an image I posted on another form http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3084.0;attach=2426;image.

I think the part may have been an after market part.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #4 by ludwig » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:35 pm

As I suspected before I got the link and by your description, that is a piece of soft copper tubing, bent and flared for the purpose with hose connectors at either end. I had one on mine for some reason and I replaced it with standard heater hose.

timber67

Post #5 by timber67 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks. So do you think it is stock, aftermarket or shade tree mechanic? Do you have stock (factory installed) AC? I suspect it may have been used on stock AC engines because of the tight bend due to the AC compressor. My engine (200) is in a 67 mustang. Looking at your avatar, I am assuming you do not have a mustang.

I love a great mystery.

Now that I have spoken to 3 people that have that part - all stretching back to original equipment - I am thinking it may be original equipment.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #6 by ludwig » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:36 pm

I have a 66 Stang. It came with a Grandpa-style "fuel saver" electronic module box tapped onto the ignition under the dash and a length of soft copper from the water pump to the the carb heater plate. It also had a rat's nest of wiring "solutions" under the hood.

There was no AC. My copper tube was clearly home-grown and its installation was of a piece with its origin. I simply cannot speak to the 90* bend or whatever. I think the tubing was a then-current solution to some problem of the 60's; excess heat, added coolant flow, frequent failure point of heater system, etc.

Ultimately, I replaced the engine with a long block, got brand new heater hose and skipped the carb heater plate. I may have a short length of 1/2" soft copper tubing with garden hose stubs on either end among my salvage FoMoCo parts if you need a spare.

timber67

Post #7 by timber67 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:37 pm

Thanks. I am pretty well set. I think I will skip the tube when reassemble. Restoring the engine compartment. Hopefully I will be back on the road in a few weeks.