Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Starting my nine inch swap

Moderator: Mod Squad

brianproctorla

Starting my nine inch swap

Post #1 by brianproctorla » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:35 am

Before I start my Nine Inch swap, I wanted to get people's opinion on installing a drain.
Has anyone had any luck with these universal kits? tapped holes with pipe plugs, welded bungs?

brianproctorla

Re: Starting my nine inch swap

Post #2 by brianproctorla » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:55 am

Here is my nine inch, from a 57-59 Ford passenger car.
It looks like the previous owner added a drain, although it looks slightly jacked up.
For a sanity check, I measured the dimensions.
I get 43 (on center) at the spring perches and 52.75 for the carrier length (less axles)
There are no dimples, so I suspect this is a 57 ford, but I am not sure why the total length isn't 52 inches.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #3 by bubba22349 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:03 pm

The early 9's had drains from factory not sure when they stopped maybe around later 60's. Never used any Uni. Kits, but have welded in pipe bungs for drains and always for a rear fill many times (some diff cases and housing combo's may not always have them and or drains makes the servicing much easier.
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

brianproctorla

Post #4 by brianproctorla » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:40 pm

First, I pulled the axle bearing using a harbor freight axle bearing puller. I don't have a slide hammer so I just tightened the washer against a couple of wrenches.
I cleaned up the axle flanges with a grinder with scotch brite style wheel, and die grinder with wire brush.
I used rust-mort, primer and a black paint. Not sure if people paint these or not.
For the pumpkin mount, I used citrus stip, die grinder with wire brush, steel wool, sand paper, rust mort, primer and paint.
Again, I am not sure if this is supposed to be painted.
Finally, I cleaned up the inner tube with steel wool and sand paper. I drove in the new axle seals (TIMKEN #9568).
I might have screwed this up as I could not tell if they were fully seated (drove them in with a rubber mallet and a 1 1/2 inch socket).
Next time, I think I will use an actual bearing driver. I also but RTV silicon around the seal seat.

As for the flange and backing plate gaskets, should I add anything to the gaskets (i.e. something to stick them to the flanges)?

mysavioreigns

Post #5 by mysavioreigns » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:47 am

I don't think you need to add anything to the either of the gaskets. Mine didn't have anything on it.
1966 Mustang
Rebuilt 200ci, 1970 head, Duraspark II, Weber DGV, C4
Future/Underway Plans: All new suspension, T5 Transmission, 2V Conversion

mustang6
VIP Member

Post #6 by mustang6 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:02 pm

Finally, I cleaned up the inner tube with steel wool and sand paper. I drove in the new axle seals (TIMKEN #9568).
I might have screwed this up as I could not tell if they were fully seated (drove them in with a rubber mallet and a 1 1/2 inch socket).
Next time, I think I will use an actual bearing driver. I also but RTV silicon around the seal seat.

You should be able to tell if the seals are fully and squarely seated against the shoulder they are driven in against. They do need to be evenly/completely seated to seal well. Also, use your finger to feel inside the seal lip after they are in to make sure the spring seal tensioner has not popped out of the lip. RTV around the seat was not necessary but probably won't hurt, just don't get it on the rubber part of the seal. Lube the lip of the seal before installing the axles and support them fully when inserting and you should be golden.
Scott

68 Mustang 200 ci, Aussie 250-2V head, Dual Headers, Comp Cams 252H, DSII w/MSD 6AL, T-5, V8 suspension.

65 Ranchero 200 ci, late 170 head, Autolite 1101, 3.03 3 speed, Maverick 8" 4 lug rear with 3.55 gears.