Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

jet size for 1100 carb on a 69 Mustang

Moderator: Mod Squad

oldbunky

jet size for 1100 carb on a 69 Mustang

Post #1 by oldbunky » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:49 am

My friend purchased a 69 convertiable with the 200 six and auto trans. It gas fouls plugs about every two weeks. Everything is up to par as far as timing, avaliable voltage at the plug, float level, etc. It has a #72 jet in it and the only info I can get is for a 67 which was calling for a #58 to #60 with emmisions and high altitude. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks....

CZLN6
VIP Member

Re: jet size for 1100 carb on a 69 Mustang

Post #2 by CZLN6 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:38 am

Howdy Bunky:

And welcome to the Forum! I don't know the specific jet size, but, a #72 seems big to me. I can tell you a couple of FYIs that may help. The Stock, OEM, carb in '69, was an Autolite 1100 in a downsized, 150 cfm version. 48 state 1100s prior to '68 were rated at 185 cfm. A '69 1100 had no SCV and was mated to a distributor with both centrifugal and vacuum advance. The stock initial advance setting was 12 degrees BTC, for most applications.

Is this a Calif/emissions car? Does it have the original carb? How many miles since a valve job? Are the plugs gas fouled or oil fouled. The stock valve stem seals don't last very long and can be a source for oil fouling. Any exhaust smoke? What color? Is the choke working properly? Is it totally open after about 7 to 10 minutes? This doesn't answer your question on stock '69 jet size, but may give you some other ideas to check out.

Do you have other jets available to try? What sizes?

Again, welcome to The Forum. It is the best.

Adios, David
co-author of the Falcon Performance Handbook
http://www.falcon6handbook.com/

oldbunky

Post #3 by oldbunky » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:37 am

Hey David, Thanks for the reply. All bases have pretty much been covered. The ignition is a new MSD dist and coil. Choke is working fine and the engine is fresh. It's not an oil foul for sure. I have dropped the jet size to a 64 and got better results but still not there. I have a 60 in it right now and waiting to see how it pans out after a week. This whole thing started when my friend sent it via mail to get rebuilt. Just an idle circuit problem and he should of just called me. It had been driven for two years before this and no problems. Now it gas fouls and I found the 72 in it. I think on the rebuild somehow the origional jet was lost and replaced by (the just grab one theory) Timing is good, power curve is good, and it doesn't throw out smoke, (black or blue) You can put a set of plugs in it, run it hard, check them and they are fine. But drive it around town for 2 weeks and they foul.

CZLN6
VIP Member

Post #4 by CZLN6 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Howdy back:

Yup. It sounds like you got all bases covered. My guess on a stock jet for a '68 with auto would be about 56, possibly less, like 54 with a manual trans.

Good luck.

Adios, David
co-author of the Falcon Performance Handbook
http://www.falcon6handbook.com/