Latest upgrades to my sons 67

Moderator: Mod Squad

Beaus67

Latest upgrades to my sons 67

Post #1 by Beaus67 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:03 am

September of 2011 I started an engine rebuild for my sons 1967 Mustang coupe. With the help of Ford Six.com, forum members and Classic Inlines that was, and is, a successful rebuild. That engine is still going strong and regularly confused for a V8 at the tailpipe. My son takes a lot of pleasure in opening the hood and saying “Nope it’s an I-6”. I just thought I would post an update and show some of the other upgrades we have done since the engine rebuild. Congratulations to Classic Inlines on the love Mustang Monthly is showing the inline six and your dedication to the engine, long overdue.

I custom built this gauge pod from a stock (Ebay) gauge pod using Auto Meters Cobalt gauges

Its really a pretty easy, although expensive, process.

And the "though the gauge" lighting can't be beat when driving at night.

While not as flashy, we also installed a 68 collapsible column, rag joint and new quick ratio steering box. Cheaper then an Ididit setup and looks stock. (Tilt would have been nice though)
Enjoy yourself. These are the good old days you're going to miss in the years ahead

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Latest upgrades to my sons 67

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:03 am

Very nice :thumbup:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Asa
Location: Tampa, Tallahassee, Hangin out in some Florida woods somewhere

Post #3 by Asa » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:49 am

Do you have part numbers and such for the gauges? I've been looking for a set of gauges, and none of the ones I can find fit properly as the '67 dash seems to be slightly off in it's sizes.
Right and Wrong are just words, what matters is what you do

Susie - a work in progress
Clyde - ya mule!

Beaus67

Post #4 by Beaus67 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:14 pm

These are the gauges I used

3 - 2&5/8" and 2 - 5"

The scary part is cutting up over $600 in brand new gauges! (the bezels have to come off for the gauges to fit correctly)

The backing plate needs modification and a fair amount of finessing to get the gauge positioned in the bezel correctly and to further complicate things the two 5" holes in the bezel are not perfectly round (the gauges are)

this is the final mock up, before permanently securing the gauges and proper wiring

This kind of modification has high "cool" factor but also adds a level of safety since you can actually see your gauges at night. The collapsible column doesn't really scream "cool" but it was well worth doing. I've seen custom gauge clusters from $1000 to $2000 and I don't think any of them offer "through the gauge illumination", I did this one for about $850.
Enjoy yourself. These are the good old days you're going to miss in the years ahead

Asa

Post #5 by Asa » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:44 pm

:shock:
Whew! That's an intense job

Clyde - ya mule!

Beaus67

Post #6 by Beaus67 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:18 pm

One last thing to add to this thread,
Our custom gauge pod "in the car",

I love the look of those gauges on that dash

day

or night.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #7 by bubba22349 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:40 pm

Very nice job :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Straight_6_tuner

Post #8 by Straight_6_tuner » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Great job on the gauge cluster. It looks fantastic. Do the gauges come with different lighting options?

:hmmm: If so I may do that upgrade on my mustang too.

Beaus67

Post #9 by Beaus67 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:19 pm

There may be different lighting options, I chose Auto Meters “Cobalt” gauge because they light through the gauge rather than around the dial. Go to their web site @ http://www.autometer.com. They have plenty of styles and types to choose from.
(This was an unpaid advertisement for Auto Meter Inc.) :D
One thing, the dimmer does not work with the LED lights in the gauge.

Straight_6_tuner

Post #10 by Straight_6_tuner » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:45 pm

you may need to change out the led bulbs as I have seen some that allow for dimming and some that don't.

Asa

Post #11 by Asa » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:53 pm

Beau

Do you have any closer pictures of the mounting of the gauges?
Specifically, the speedometer in the dash, and the clearances around it? I got my parts in, and from what I can tell my speedo doesn't fit as well in my dash.

Might be because I went with a mechanical speedo, but I'd like some feedback if possible.

Clyde - ya mule!

jdn21758

Post #12 by jdn21758 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:15 pm

thats a great job,,its very nice.
greetz,,JD. :thumbup:

Beaus67

Post #13 by Beaus67 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:22 am

Sorry this didn't come faster but I don't check in as much as I use to. Hope you can use these, if you want more (or different) photos let me know.
Bill

Beaus67

Post #14 by Beaus67 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:40 am

One more thing, this cluster installed in the dash just like the original - but it was tight.
The gauges are deeper and use up more space behind the cluster so I was glad I didn't have the speedometer cable to contend with. That would just have made it tighter. It all worked out well and ended up looking great but it was, and is, a tight fit.

nickstewartroc

Post #15 by nickstewartroc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:24 am

Two questions for you Beaus67,
First, What kind of setup was there for the speedometer since you don't use the cable
and Second, how is the feel of the wood steering wheel? I still have my original black plastic, which is hard and really does a number on the hands. I have been thinking about getting a wood wheel, but wanted to see if it was sort of soft wood or hard similar to the original wheels.

Thanks!
Nick
1967 Mustang Coupe, Inline 6,Lime Gold
Late 200 head with 2v conversion with Motorcraft 2100 and T5 Conversion
In the middle of fixing some rust and stripping down the paint do a repaint!
Going for a white with black theme
Checkout my site: http://www.nicks67mustang.com/

Asa

Post #16 by Asa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:44 pm

Bill
Thanks, that helps answer a few questions I had. I'll happily look at any other pictures you have of this.
Did you use any particular tools to center the gauges, or just eyeball it and adjust as you went along?

I might have access to a waterjet or laser cutter, so I might draw up a plate for this and request that they cut it

Clyde - ya mule!

Beaus67

Post #17 by Beaus67 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:33 pm

This is the sending unit for the autometer electronic speedometer (Ford specific). It just plugs right in place of the mechanical one, and then just wire up to the new speedo. The Speedo has to be calibrated once installed but that's as easy as driving two miles. Autometer sends very clear instructions and has a video on their web site. The new speedometer is way more accurate then the old Ford one and can be recalibrated for new tire sizes or other changes that wreak havoc on a mechanical speedo.

As far as centering the gauges, they pretty much center themselves. Once the backing plate is cut they really don't have very much room to move around, the straps are mostly to hold the gauges tight to the plastic bezel and keep them oriented in the dash correctly (level). The large holes in the plastic bezel are not perfectly round but the new gauges are so if your looking for absolute perfection your going to get frustrated. That said you can make some small adjustments to get to a very acceptable result.

In case anyone needs it this is a thumbnail to a full resolution copy of the wiring diagram for the stock gauge cluster. I used this to incorporate the stock gauge wiring harness so that the new gauge cluster plugs in to the stock under dash wiring harness. Of course the Speedometer and Tachometer have their own wiring separate of the stock gauge harness.

In my opinion the wood steering wheel feels much better, it has a larger diameter grip and the wood, while not soft, feels softer plus it just looks better then the big plastic wheel. Now the down side, the finish on the wood is not great and if I had time I would have refinished it with a high quality clear finish. The horn mechanism relies on 3 self stick foam pads to keep the contacts separate until you press for the horn, needless to say these have proven to be unreliable and at the moment every time he turns right the horn blows. (they are currently unplugged). But it was a fairly inexpensive Grant steering wheel so I'll find a workaround for the horn.
The little frustrations and triumphs are all part of the fun!

Beaus67

Post #18 by Beaus67 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:51 pm

Sorry to be so longwinded with this post but I would be remiss if I didn’t show the modifications needed to the back of the bezel to accept the new gauges. These are the same picture, the highlighted areas had some amount of plastic removed to make way for the gauges. I used a Dremil tool with a fibrous cutting wheel to cut both the plastic and metal parts.

Asa

Post #19 by Asa » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:28 am

The pics of the trimmed bezel are probably the most helpful to me right now.

Thanks again, Bill. I've been looking towards doing this for a while, but needed a kick in the butt to get me to do so.

Clyde - ya mule!

nickstewartroc

Post #20 by nickstewartroc » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks!
Im with Asa on this, been wanted to just needed a kick!
1967 Mustang Coupe, Inline 6,Lime Gold
Late 200 head with 2v conversion with Motorcraft 2100 and T5 Conversion
In the middle of fixing some rust and stripping down the paint do a repaint!
Going for a white with black theme
Checkout my site: http://www.nicks67mustang.com/

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #21 by xctasy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:27 am

Beaus67 wrote:Image
This is the sending unit for the autometer electronic speedometer (Ford specific). It just plugs right in place of the mechanical one, and then just wire up to the new speedo. The Speedo has to be calibrated once installed but that's as easy as driving two miles. Autometer sends very clear instructions and has a video on their web site. The new speedometer is way more accurate then the old Ford one and can be recalibrated for new tire sizes or other changes that wreak havoc on a mechanical speedo

That's the VR Ford Fox and Panther, circa 1978 on wards, an electronic pickup which just merges into the stock cable to make an 8000 plips per mile code for the speedo.

Great system.

Electronics are so much easier.

Ford used the same internal 6 volt electric system from 1932 to 1985 ish, so its easy to upgrade, heck, the T bird was all electronic with Trip Minder mpg meter in the early 80's, and that sensor and a gas tank sensor change was all it took to make it happen.
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

Beaus67

Post #22 by Beaus67 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:17 pm

xctasy,
Just wanted to clarify, the gauges I used require 12v. so the constant voltage regulator is not used in my application.
One of the best things about not having the speedometer cable, is not having to remove and reinstall the thing to the back of the speedometer every time you want to pull the gauge cluster out. I left enough wire behind the cluster so it comes out to a comfortable distance for easy access to the plugs. I also installed a connector so that the speedometer and tachometer wires unplug as well. Much easier than standing on my head reaching into a too small gap to try to find and turn the nut on the end of the cable all while trying not to break or scratch something. It's the little things that make me happy :D

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #23 by xctasy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:07 pm

Understood. How do you cope with the State DMV inspected total miles on the speedo. When you changed it, it obviously would have gone back to an electronically recorded zero miles.

Wht if the car is, say, layed up for 17 years...will the Autometer mileometer reading stay in the memory?
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #24 by CoupeBoy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:50 pm

That dash turned out great, and that is an very nice write up!

XC,
If his home state is like my home state, they just don't care. ND does not take yearly readings of the odometer, the only time it is ever used is when the title is transferred to a new owner. And even at that, they don't verify anything. Its like saying there are Uniroyal tires and the next time there are Goodyear.. it just doesn't matter.

The only mileage concern my car ever has is with the insurance company. Every 3 years or so, they send me out a document to verify the vehicle status and mileage. I don't know why they care about the mileage, I pay for standard full coverage without driving restrictions.
1968 Mustang Daily Driver Rebuild (on hold for the Season 3/1/2015)
1963.5 Falcon Convertible Build (just getting started 3/15/2015)
Case 1830 Skidsteer FordSix Repower Thread (started 4/4/2015)
1970 170/C4
1967 200/C4
1965 240/bellhousing/flywheel/clutch/3.03 bell pattern
1975 250/flexplate
1975 300/flywheel

Beaus67

Post #25 by Beaus67 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:47 pm

CoupeBoy is exactly right; Oregon, like North Dakota only cares about recording vehicle mileage at a title transfer. I bought the car 7 years ago from a Ford dealership - they had me sign a “mileage unknown” disclosure statement. Since the stock odometer only goes to 99,999.9 then zeros out its hard to know which hundred thousand you’re in. As it happens, it had just turned 00,000.0 prior to changing out the gauges so nothing really changed except the new gauge now has the sixth position like new cars do. The mileage memory is supposed to be non-volatile but I suppose it’s as susceptible as any computer memory to crashes. I still have no clue what the true mileage is, 1,2,3,4 hundred thousand? Maybe more?
As far as State vehicle inspections, I live in a very rural area so there are no DEQ or other vehicle inspection stations. My son has the car at OSU in Corvallis (also rural) so it really hasn’t been an issue. If we lived in Portland then it might be different. I’ve had a lot of fun with his car so I’m thinking of doing a convertible (as a Shelby tribute) for my wife and I, if I do, I’m sure I’ll learn more about DMV regulations and requirements then I ever wanted to know.
Bill

ranch67

Post #26 by ranch67 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:24 am

beau,
this is good tech. thanks.
i just disconnected my old temp and oil press gauge and opted for mechanical units. then ran into space issue with the console.
its also a waste of space where the clock option gauge isnt being used on my cluster. i thought about swapping in new gauges but then i'd be redoing the entire dash since plastic is all faded and "patina'd"
also orig dash pad has the "swooped" center sections now too from all the heat and sun.
i did have to replace the speedo due to abrasion underneath and it would leak fluid.
again, more cluster fussing.

i'll have to take a look at gauge options and upgrades for this next couple of years.
original is cool, but when half of it isnt working, whats the point?

thanks for posting this.

ranch67

Post #27 by ranch67 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:24 pm

beau,
you cut the gauge bezels off and removed the lenses while cutting the back plate?
how do the lenses stay installed? are they pressed up against the bezel?

thanks