Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
If you would like to contribute via check, cash, etc, please PM 1966Mustang

65 Mustang build thread

Moderator: Mod Squad

Vaughan_D_W

65 Mustang build thread

Post #1 by Vaughan_D_W » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:58 pm

Ok, I don't have any pics yet because my phone is about shot, but I think I need to start a build thread. It will motivate me to keep working on this car whenever I can. Pics will come later.

Ok, so a brief history of the car. I traded a crappy Toyota Matrix XRS with a bad cat and a front end hit for this '65 Mustang. Best deal I was gonna get to dump that car. I drove the Mustang home about 70 miles the day I got it. The previous owner had been using it as a daily driver, but it needed a little TLC. I drove it around for a while and did some basic maintenance. New u-joints, new shocks in the rear (got the front ones but haven't put them in yet), new trans mount, probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. But I was having issues with the car not having much power and sputtering and stalling when I got on the gas. Someone had swapped in a rebuilt 144 at some point, so I bought a 200 and rebuilt it. This was my first engine build. I recently got the engine reinstalled and running again. That bring us about up to date.

Today's project: carb work. Even with the rebuilt motor, I was still experiencing the same problems. So I took my carb and a second carb, and made one out of two. Now it runs much, much better, although there is still room for improvement. I feel really good about the way this project came out.

Today's second project: gauges. This was a disaster. I got a set of cheap oil pressure/water temp/voltmeter gauges and attempted to install them. I broke off the water temp sensor adapter in the head. That's gonna be fun to get out! No more time this week. I will be working on un-f^&$ing this problem next time.

Vaughan_D_W

Re: 65 Mustang build thread

Post #2 by Vaughan_D_W » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 pm

I'll try to upload a few older pics from when my phone worked properly. Let's see if this works.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #3 by bubba22349 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:49 pm

:beer: Congrats thats a nice looking Mustang! :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

bmbm40

Post #4 by bmbm40 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:58 am

That is a nice Mustang and the 200 looks good also. You may want to look into a DSII ignition as many have done for an increase in power (mild) and just a better running engine all around.
66 Bronco-1970 250, NV3550, DSII, 4 turn ps, uncut, 1" bl, 2.5" sl, front disc, twin stick D 20, 30 x 9.50
NEXT- direct mount 1.08 on D8 head, power brakes, rear limited slip, 3G, electric fan, electric upgrades, custom curved DSII, header, 31" tires

New guy? Get the Falcon Performance Handbook and Ford six high performance parts from https://vintageinlines.com

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #5 by CoupeBoy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:31 pm

Congrats on the project and your first engine rebuild.

The first thing that comes to mind when a person inherits/buys a used car and it has running issues, I instinctively think of carb/distributor mismatch.

A few years back this article was published in a magazine.
Six-Cylinder Tuning & Performance -- Get smoother operation, reliability, and power from your Mustang Six

Make sure your carb/dist match each other.
1968 Mustang Daily Driver Rebuild (on hold for the Season 3/1/2015)
1963.5 Falcon Convertible Build (just getting started 3/15/2015)
Case 1830 Skidsteer FordSix Repower Thread (started 4/4/2015)
1970 170/C4
1967 200/C4
1965 240/bellhousing/flywheel/clutch/3.03 bell pattern
1975 250/flexplate
1975 300/flywheel

Vaughan_D_W

Post #6 by Vaughan_D_W » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:25 pm

Thanks, everyone. The motor doesn't look that nice anymore, because I didn't know I need to use more than one can of paint on it, lol. And I'm pretty sure the carb and distributor match. The power valve in the first carb was stuck. Now that I put on a different upper half, it runs much better, even without any other adjustments. I haven't even put a timing light on it yet!

Vaughan_D_W

Post #7 by Vaughan_D_W » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:16 pm

Wow, been a little while since I posted any updates. My wife and baby came home from overseas (long story, has to do with Obamacare), a dealer stole 2500 dollars from us when we bought a used PT Cruiser that apparently has no title, and I've been working like crazy. So not much time to work on the Mustang. AAAAAND when I did work on it, I totally screwed it up. I was installing a set of mechanical gauges and broke off a water temp sensor adaptor in the head. Failed to get that water temp sensor adaptor out of the head, and made a mess trying to. Now the head is off and needs to go to the machinist, but I have no money because the car dealer stole it and I used the little bit I had left to buy a beater Jetta so my wife can have SOMETHING to drive. *sigh* I'd like to give up and just sell the damn thing, but I can't because there's no head on it! :( On a good note, before that dealer fiasco, I did haul a large-log head and a DSII out of a junkyard Fairlane, so that's nice. I might use that head. We'll see what the machinist says.

Vaughan_D_W

Post #8 by Vaughan_D_W » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:58 pm

Head is at the machinist now. I'm going with the small-log head, pending what he says, and getting it machined for my Offy tri-carb intake. Gonna have to pay a mint, but hopefully I'll have some money by the time it's complete. I just really want o make this thing stand out at all the cruise-ins and car shows this summer.

Vaughan_D_W

Post #9 by Vaughan_D_W » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:22 pm

It's back! Bet you guys thought this build was dead, huh? Not quite. Head is out of machine shop, on car, car running with rubber freeze plugs blocking the extra holes, family moved to NC, car moved to NC, DUI knock off just arrived in the mail. Got a butt load of single barrel carbs, a 3.03 trans, and a bunch of engine parts from a NM boneyard for almost free. I really think I'll be running the roads of NC this summer.