1965 200 6cyl. Adjustable rocker arms and head question

Moderator: Mod Squad

Dads65 convertible

1965 200 6cyl. Adjustable rocker arms and head question

Post #1 by Dads65 convertible » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:50 pm

Hello, I just registered and see a lot of good information on this site, and I have a couple of questions while rebuilding my 1965 200ci.
First is, which of the cylinder head bolts are in water jackets? and need sealant? I am reading conflicting information on the net. I can see that the front/right passenger bolt is one, but net said others are as well.
Second, on the adjustable rocker arm assembly, I noticed on one assembly that I have, the front mounting bolt is holding down a small cover plate of some kind, and appears to be holding in some form of gasket material in a downward hole possibly. and on another assembly I have the plate is not there and the downward hole is clear. Which of these is correct? Or how should it be? At first I thought the packing/gasket material in the hole was just sludge, and it might be. I just want to be sure. Thank you in advance, hopefully someone can help.

edgewood bronco

Re: 1965 200 6cyl. Adjustable rocker arms and head question

Post #2 by edgewood bronco » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:10 am

Front right (passenger) hole penetrates the water jacket. Only one that does that, if I'm not mistaken. If all else fails look with a penlight or feel with a wire, or blow lightly with compressed air to see if it comes back at you or not.
There's not supposed to be any gasket material there, that's just sludge.
62 F100 223
66 Bronco 200; autolite 2100 2 bbl conversion: Lovin' it!

CZLN6
VIP Member

Post #3 by CZLN6 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:44 am

Howdy Dads65:

And welcome to The Forum. This place is the best!

On the rocker arms, either will work just fine. The one with the cover plate on the front mounting stanchion is early, 1960 to around 1963. No cover is a later rocker assembly til sometime in 1965. The critical issue is that the assembly be cleaned deeply before using. Sludge build up in the inside of the rocker shaft is common as well as the oiling holes in each rocker arm. In worst cases the inside of the shaft will need a shot gun barrel brush and lots of solvent followed by lots of hot water and Blue Dawn detergent dish soap, followed by a clean rinse and a fresh coat of oil.

Check each rocker arm for the oiling holes. The valve side hole (1/8" drill bit) is at a 10 o'clock position and the pushrod side hole is at 3 o'clock (3/32").

You might want to scout up a late model (late 70s and 80) head bolt for the oil transfer bolt hole. It is tapered and allows more oil to move up and through the rocker shaft.

Again, welcome and keep us posted on your progress.

Adios, David
co-author of the Falcon Performance Handbook
http://www.falcon6handbook.com/

Dads65 convertible

Post #4 by Dads65 convertible » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:37 am

Ok that helps. I have checked the block, and only found the front passenger side hole to be in a jacket as well. So I guess that is that. Thanks.
On the rocker am assembly, I have not disassembled it, but the holes on the rockers themselves appear to be clean and clear. But of course I cannot see the holes in the rail. Both of my assembly's are identical, other than one is missing the cover plate over that area in which it appeared to have some form of packing in the downward hole. And the original has the cover plate on it, and when I remove it, the downward hole is clear. So I guess correct would be to have the cover plate in place and clear the downward hole of what it has in it? Does this sound correct? The hole should not have anything in it.? Also what purpose does that area with the cover plate serve? Thanks

Dads65 convertible

Post #5 by Dads65 convertible » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:20 pm

Ok I have checked and all the tube and holes are clear and clean,and all looks real clean.. The only thing that still bothers me is, what is in the area under the cap which the front mounting bolt on the rocker arm assembly is holding the cover over the plate which leads to a downward hole. I have not pulled this material out of the hole yet, because it really appears to be some form of packing or made of fiber material, not just sludge build up. I want to be certain. Because everything is spotless clean but this is there, and I really don't understand what this area and cover plate are for. And think it may be to slow the oil from just draining out to quickly, and not going where needed..I want to clean it out, but I'm not certain... Can anyone confirm, that I just need to remove it out or not??? Please let me know. Thanks

1bad6t

Post #6 by 1bad6t » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:39 pm

Dads65 convertible wrote:Ok I have checked and all the tube and holes are clear and clean,and all looks real clean.. The only thing that still bothers me is, what is in the area under the cap which the front mounting bolt on the rocker arm assembly is holding the cover over the plate which leads to a downward hole. I have not pulled this material out of the hole yet, because it really appears to be some form of packing or made of fiber material, not just sludge build up. I want to be certain. Because everything is spotless clean but this is there, and I really don't understand what this area and cover plate are for. And think it may be to slow the oil from just draining out to quickly, and not going where needed..I want to clean it out, but I'm not certain... Can anyone confirm, that I just need to remove it out or not??? Please let me know. Thanks

It is to oil the distributor gear. See the text under Figure 4 on this link... http://classicinlines.com/dizzygear.asp
Jeff in Georgia
'74 Maverick 250/C4

Dads65 convertible

Post #7 by Dads65 convertible » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:52 am

Thank you very much. That is a great article, exactly what I needed. Thank you all for your help.