Exhaust questions and recommendations.

Moderator: Mod Squad

hoyter

Exhaust questions and recommendations.

Post #1 by hoyter » Mon May 09, 2016 1:48 pm

Hello, new to the site and I just bought my second 67 mustang coupe with a 200 6 in it. My last one I sold about 12 years ago.
I was thinking the first thing that I would do would be a new exhaust system. I was thinking about the dual exhaust headers and a dual exhaust but I am not 100% sold on that so I may still go with the single header and single exhaust. A couple of questions that I have are:
If I were to run the dual exhaust would I need to get a new rear bumper piece with spots for both of the pipes to come out?
Is there plenty of room under the car to run dual exhaust?
If I went with the single header and single exhaust could I still get that beefed up sound that I would get in a dual exhaust?
What size pipes would you recommend from the headers back for the single and the dual options?
What mufflers would everyone recommend for both increased performance as well as getting a better sound out of the car?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Re: Exhaust questions and recommendations.

Post #2 by CoupeBoy » Mon May 09, 2016 2:19 pm

My '68 runs the dual out exhaust under the rear valance, it was that way when I bought it.
Single exhaust will never sound like dual exhaust.

I'm of no help for the mufflers or pipe size, I'd match the pipe size to the header output pipe size.
I have no recommendation for mufflers either, I like them quiet.

mustang6
VIP Member

Post #3 by mustang6 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:40 am

My 68 has a dual Clifford header, 2 1/4" pipes, Dynomax turbo mufflers (throaty but not too loud) and dumps underneath the car before the rear axle. Some time ago I replaced the stock rear valence for one with the dual exhaust cutouts but have yet to get the exhaust pipes extended. Like others have said though, the pipes could easily exit under a non-cutout rear valence. If you want a louder exhaust there are chambered versions like Flowmasters (2 chamber are louder than 3 chamber), or old fashioned cherry bombs (Thrush makes a slighter tamer version), but I found normal turbo mufflers to work well.
Scott

68 Mustang 200 ci, 250-2V head, H/W 5200, Dual Headers, Comp Cams 252H, DSII w/ MSD 6AL, T-5, V8 suspension.

65 Ranchero 200 ci, late 170 head, Autolite 1101, 3.03 3 speed, Maverick 8" 4 lug rear with 3.55 gears.

B RON CO
VIP Member

Post #4 by B RON CO » Tue May 10, 2016 1:22 pm

Hi, GT Mustangs had the tailpipe through the valence. You don't need that unless you want it. Good luck
B RON CO. Still workin' on it!

1933 Ford Pickup - 59A Flathead V8
1966 Ford Bronco - U14 - 170/200 Straight 6
1966 Ford Mustang - 289 V8

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #5 by CoupeBoy » Tue May 10, 2016 1:36 pm

The early cars ('66 and older) use GT exhaust through the rear valance.
The '67/68 cars have minor opening under the botom of the valance and they usually have dual out tips.

I google searched 1967 rear valance, these just happen to be examples from CJ Pony Parts.
The "round" openings in these are for backup lights.
Standard Valance
Rear Valance Standard 1967-1968 $42.99

GT Valance
Valance Rear GT 1967-1968 $42.99

matcox83
VIP Member

Post #6 by matcox83 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:29 pm

I now sell the exhaust systems that Classic Inlines used to carry. They are made by Waldron Exhaust and are made to fit your car. They are available in 1.75", 2.00" and 2.25" in either Aluminized steel or stainless steel. There are also single and dual exhaust choices. They are designed to connect to the header Classic Inlines used to sell. A competent exhaust shop could connect them to whatever header or manifold you are using. http://www.vintageinlines.com. Email me through the website with options and I would be happy to give you a price.