1965 mustang 200ci. "Load-o-matic" vacuum adv. Questions

Moderator: Mod Squad

+Wombratwombrat1

1965 mustang 200ci. "Load-o-matic" vacuum adv. Questions

Post #1 by +Wombratwombrat1 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:12 am

Hello, i want to thank in advance for any help or input they can offer. Here is what i have.
1965 mustang 200 6 cyl. Manual trans. All stock engin.
rebuilt autolite 1100 carb w/(SCV)
New reman. Autolite dist loadomatic. (vacuum adv. Only (no mech.) With pertronix ignitor installed (12v.constant)
My questions are.
1) what would be the correct amount? Or range of vacuum pulling from carb. To distributer at specified different rpm. Ranges?
2) with the system all hooked up carb. To dist., At what rpm (roughly)should the timing begin advancing?
3) with all hooked carb to distributur, and timing at 6 degrees at a 600rpm idle,, what would be acceptable/normal range of advance run up to at specified different rpm ranges?
I am trying to figure out if this system is operating as it should, and if not, at what point is it incorrect.
Again, thanks for any help

B RON CO
VIP Member

Re: 1965 mustang 200ci. "Load-o-matic" vacuum adv. Questions

Post #2 by B RON CO » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:05 am

Hi, if you have a timing light with the dial or led advance you can see the advance as you increase the RPMs. I'm not sure of the total advance you want, but there are distributor experts on the site. You should have full advance by 3000 RPM. You can probably run more advance at idle. Good luck
B RON CO. Still workin' on it!

1933 Ford Pickup - 59A Flathead V8
1966 Ford Bronco - U14 - 170/200 Straight 6
1966 Ford Mustang - 289 V8

+Wombratwombrat1

Post #3 by +Wombratwombrat1 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:21 am

Thanks yes in looking at it with my timing light, the car runs best overall with timing set at idle 600 rpm, best set at approx. 16 degrees.. this is estimate, due to the timing indicater bracket mounted on the block is only marked up to 14 degrees, then you are off the scale, guessing. And then when increasing engine rpm, the mark advances way off the scale, and thats a real hard guess where it is maxing out to at higher rpms.
I dont hear any engine pinging or anything out of the ordinary, but i do not want to be advancing too much, and i dont know why i have to set initial timing so high? Or is 16 degrees not uncommon? From what i read 6 is noted and 12 is not uncommon. But it runs so much better at approx 16 degrees. I believe when i ran the rpms up to 1500 i best guessed the advance to be around 30-35 based on the look of the spread of marks on the indicater but again that had to be just a guess. Thanks

ags290

Post #4 by ags290 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:58 am

The way I have mine set up is with the timing at 12 degrees without the vacuum line connected to the carb. With a stock cam on a 170 I have 16 lbs. of vacuum at base idle. Then reconnect the vacuum advance line and set your fast and base idle where you want them. When the system is working correctly and you rev the engine your timing mark will jump to almost 12:00 on the harmonic balancer so I cant tell you how far it advances.

I'm sure that there is a more scientific way to set it up but that is where mine produces the most vacuum and the engine does not spark knock under load.

Kevin
Kevin
Early 1965 Mustang with a 170

+Wombratwombrat1

Post #5 by +Wombratwombrat1 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:28 pm

At my port on the manifold at 6-700 rpm it reads just under 20 and stable. This port was used when i had an auto trans, but is now capped off.
But the vacuum line to the distributer is ran from the carb, right beside the spark control valve. My timing reads the same whether the line from the carb is off and plugged or attached, unless my idle is set at 800 or above, is when vacuum begins advancing my timing.
And yes my timing mark jumps up to right arounf the 12oclock point as well,, i was concerned that may be to much.

+Wombratwombrat1

Post #6 by +Wombratwombrat1 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:30 pm

At my port on the manifold at 6-700 rpm it reads just under 20 and stable. This port was used when i had an auto trans, but is now capped off.
But the vacuum line to the distributer is ran from the carb, right beside the spark control valve. My timing reads the same whether the line from the carb is off and plugged or attached, unless my idle is set at 800 or above, is when vacuum begins advancing my timing.
And yes my timing mark jumps up to right arounf the 12oclock point as well,, i was concerned that may be to much.