New guy looking for advice

Moderator: Mod Squad

Manicjawa

New guy looking for advice

Post #1 by Manicjawa » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:22 pm

Hey everyone.

I am new to classic Mustangs and Inline 6 engines. I have a 1966 Mustang Coupe with a stock 6 cyl. The engine seems to be running fine, although I don't know exactly what a "running fine" engine sounds like.

I've spent a lot of time on many different forums (information overload!!!!) and have seen many ideas for simple engine upgrades. I wanted to get some thoughts on the following things including whether its a good or bad idea, and what would be a good order in which to do them.

So here they are in no particular order:

1. Pertronix Ingnition. I would also do plugs and wires at the same time.
2. Exhaust headers - I've also seen a suggestion of using a slightly newer log header that has a 2" opening instead of 1.75". Of course this would require some other exhaust changes. And I really have no idea where to find one.
3. Air filter - K & N Air filter that is open all around instead of coming in through the tube. Please excuse my lack of proper terminology. As I said, I am new to this.

My goal is to have a nice smooth running engine with maybe some power increase. I also wouldn't mind a slightly better sound, but thats not the most important thing.

I know there are some pricey upgrades out there, but I am not looking to spend a ton as I am planning on switching to front disc brakes which will hit my wallet pretty good.

Finally, I came across an inline 6 and a 3 spd transmission for $300. I am kind of entertaining the thought of buying it with the intent of rebuilding it while I continue driving the car with the current engine. The story is that this engine was rebuilt about 30k miles ago. Please offer any thoughts you have on that idea. I have never done a project like this, so I would be taking my time with it. Thats why I like to idea of rebuilding a different engine while continuing to drive with my current engine.

I have a Falcon 6 Performance Handbook on the way. Just in case you were going to suggest it.

Thank in advance of your help, opinions, and ideas. I am open to anything.

B RON CO
VIP Member

Re: New guy looking for advice

Post #2 by B RON CO » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:32 am

Hi, I will suggest that you get to know your Ford six before you do anything major. I assume most people here have some tools and skills to do the basic mechanics 101 work like tune up and brake jobs. If you haven't done a basic tune up , including a compression and vacuum check I would start with that. Get a feeling for the condition of the engine first, and at the same time go with plugs, timing, filters, oil, maybe belts and hoses if yours are showing age. A lot of guys would install the pertronics at this point unless you plan on a major head, carb, ignition upgrade in the near future. Your Ford Falcon book will give you good info and options on that stuff. I would also check the brakes on all 4 wheels for wear and especially wheel cylinders for leaking cups. Safety is a top priority. Disc brakes are fine but most will not work with stock 14 inch wheels so learn about that. Make sure to read our old posts and you will have plenty to think about. Good luck
B RON CO. Still workin' on it!

1933 Ford Pickup - 59A Flathead V8
1966 Ford Bronco - U14 - 170/200 Straight 6
1966 Ford Mustang - 289 V8

CZLN6
VIP Member

Post #3 by CZLN6 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:08 pm

Howdy Manicjawa:

And welcome to The Forum. Yes, it is that good. I'd second Ron's advice and add to start planning which should include; budget, time, planned use, and a realistic assessment of what you can do and what will need to be hired.

As far as your items, let me hit them one at a time.
1. Pertronix Ignition. I would also do plugs and wires at the same time.
A- Yes, the PetroniX Ignitor is a good upgrade. It will eliminate the need to occasionally change and have to adjust points. Adding a hotter coil is also a good idea to increase spark strength. Also make sure that your Load-O-Matic [LoM]distributor is in good shape and working as designed. The LoM is a vacuum advance only distributor and is linked to the Spark Control Valve [SCV] in the carb. It sends a load sensitive vacuum signal to the distributor.
2. Exhaust headers - I've also seen a suggestion of using a slightly newer log header that has a 2" opening instead of 1.75". Of course this would require some other exhaust changes. And I really have no idea where to find one.
A- Your '66 exhaust manifold has a 2" outlet already. So, a cheaper [than a header] and more long term consideration is to replace your stock muffler with a turbo type, low restriction muffler. Changing the stock exhaust pipes with a 2" pipe system is also a good idea. The cost effective time to do this is when an exhaust leak happens and you need to do something. A 2" exhaust system will be in place and ready for other upgrades.
3. Air filter - K & N Air filter that is open all around instead of coming in through the tube. Please excuse my lack of proper terminology. As I said, I am new to this.
A- I'd suggest that you replace the stock air filter with a K&N element, retaining your stock air cleaner. Adding a piece of dryer duct hose to the air cleaner inlet nozzle and routing it to a cool air source, will bring cooler air to the carb.

Now, in additions to these, consider;
1. Doing a thorough cleaning of the carb and fuel system, inside and out. Aerosol carb cleaners can do a good job on both the inside and out of the carb. Cleaners you put in the gas tank are also a good idea periodically.
2. Set your initial timing to 5 degrees more than the stock setting. If stock is 5 degrees try 10. That will gov you better economy as well as a performance increase.

The spare engine may be a good idea. What year is it? Which manual trans? $300 seems high. Many automatically replace the lowly six with a V8. The take out six is usually junked. A builder is a good idea, but shop carefully with an eye to your future goals.

Good luck and keep it coming.

Adios, David
co-author of the Falcon Performance Handbook
http://www.falcon6handbook.com/

bmbm40

Post #4 by bmbm40 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:50 pm

66 Mustang is a nice ride I would like to get one some day. Since you have the Handbook on the way just for fun you can use the magic engine block number decoder feature and see if you have an original motor in yours. Pictures of your Mustang and engine are good.
I like the idea of having a spare motor to build or just to have in case of structural failure of your present motor block. I have a spare 250 for my Bronco. When you are looking for these older sixes they are not as plentiful as they once were. If it is compatible with your 66 it might be an investment to consider but definitely offer less. Do you have a manual or automatic? If you have a manual or want to convert to a manual I would consider the T5 upgrade at some point.
This is the best place to be with a Ford six these guys have all the knowledge and are very helpful.
66 Bronco-1970 250, NV3550, DSII, 4 turn ps, uncut, 1" bl, 2.5" sl, front disc, twin stick D 20, 30 x 9.50
NEXT- direct mount 1.08 on D8 head, power brakes, rear limited slip, 3G, electric fan, electric upgrades, custom curved DSII, header, 31" tires

'81 F150 4x4 300

New guy? Get this>http://www.falcon6handbook.com

Manicjawa

Post #5 by Manicjawa » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:11 am

Thanks for your input everyone.

I think I will move forward with the Pertronix and coil, and the air filter for starters. Those are easy, straightforward, and inexpensive. I'll probably also do the spark plugs and wires.

Its hard to say what long term plans I have for this car. We purchased it from a family member who had a financial need, but desires to buy it back someday. So I want to do some things to it because it hasn't had much upkeep through the years, but I do not plan on spending a ton of money on it.

I was giving some thought to buying a rebuild kit for the carb, but I am having a hard time nailing down exactly what it is. I know it is a Motorcraft replacement, and I am pretty sure it is a Holley 1940. It has the D0PF-L stamp on it. I may just try spraying it down with some carb cleaner as suggested. I think I mentioned before that it seems to me to be running ok, so maybe a rebuild is a bit much. Although, I know it hasn't been messed with in at least 15 years, and probably longer than that.

Thanks for the heads up on the exhaust manifold. I actually just read the other day that this should have a 2" opening. I'm glad for the confirmation. I may consider doing the muffler for starters and consider the header in the future. I'll probably go with a Clifford and a Y pipe when I'm ready to do that.

The Falcon Six handbook has been an interesting read. A lot of it is probably over my head, but I do have a neighbor that can most likely help me with things like timing and such.

Thanks for your input. I'll be following this in case anyone else would like to chime in.

Manicjawa

Post #6 by Manicjawa » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:18 am

I think I am going to pass on the spare engine for cost and space reasons. I think my desire to do that is more about the desire to try a project like a rebuild. I use to be an aircraft mechanic (before I had kids0 and we had to overhaul a 6 cylinder opposed engine in school which I rather enjoyed.

For anyone interested, its posted on Craigslist in Greensboro, NC.

My car is a 3 speed auto transmission

DannyG
VIP Member

Post #7 by DannyG » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:59 am

For a quick & free upgrade, try advancing your static timing a little bit,maybe 2 to 4 degrees more than stock.Tthat should give your engine a little more umph.
DannyG