Mav Update

Moderator: Mod Squad

Mav Update

Post #1 by Guest » Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:12 pm

Don't wanna see this forum disappear :)

I've got the engine on the hoist next to the Mav. I bolted the C4 to it and found the flexplate was the wrong one when the converter hit the back of the bellhousing as the bolts were tightened to the block. I should have both engine and tranny in by Tuesday. Can't wait to start driving her!

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Inliner Mav Update

Post #2 by CoupeBoy » Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:39 am

Have you decided if you are keeping or selling it yet? I know before the forum went down last time there was a "for sale" in your sig

ron

(and NO I am not in the market for a green maverick)

addo
VIP Member

Post #3 by addo » Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:30 am

I think that was the Mustang... Obviously it's giving joy to someone else. :roll:

MustangSix
Assistant Admin

Post #4 by MustangSix » Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:02 am

John, did you ever decide on a color scheme?

As you've no doubt found out, Mavericks are notoriously hard to run duals under. But by using a Mustang tank and making some new support clips for the straps, you gain the same room as in a Mustang. I think Charlie Ping has some photos on his site.

Either way, I vote for the dynomax or some similar turbo muffler. This car needs to be subtle.
Jack Collins

Post #5 by Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:09 am

I did decided on a color for the Mav and I even started shooting it on the passenger side. Once I get the car out of Trey's garage, I'll finish it. I went with Highland Green Metallic in acrylic enamel. It will look really good IMO.

I haven't checked out the car for dual exhaust because of how it's positioned in Trey's garage. If it's going to be a matter of swapping gas tanks, I'll just settle for single.

I still have the Mustang, but I'm going to build a 5.0L for it, shoot some paint on it, add some more touches to the interior, and sell it. I towed the car up to my parent's place out in the country so it's out of the way in the meantime. I'm still set on getting a new car.

Post #6 by Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:40 pm

Got the engine in this afternoon. I still have to install the condenser, radiator, tranny lines, cylinder head + maifolds, and figure out what parts of the exhaust I can use and what I'll have to make...

Post #7 by Guest » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:17 pm

Looking to have the car to the alignment shop by next Thursday. Today I got the Y-pipe installed, battery, starter, radiator, hoses, fan, alternator, and the charging/starting wiring.

Post #8 by Guest » Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:04 pm

Got stock springs and hardware put on the Argie head to replace the COMP and Cliffy stuff. I guess I'll shelve that for later use. Bought a 30" glass pack and a "Street" Dynomax muffler along with the stock "over the axle" pipe for a Mav. A few conecting pipes and a tailpipe should allow me to weld it all together myself.

Can't find the right shift lever to save my life. No one has any Mav's around here in the boneyards. At least not with C4's or the ones that do aren't willing to let me take the valvebody out to get the shift lever I need. So, I bought a B&M Star shifter. Looks like minimal mods to the tunnel will let me get this installed and use B&M's brackets/levers. Should look pretty cool.

I'll get pics of it all once I get it up and running.

MustangSix
Assistant Admin

Post #9 by MustangSix » Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:03 pm

What progress? This thing running yet? :D
Jack Collins

czilko

Re: Performance 200 engine update

Post #10 by czilko » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:54 pm

Warning!! Do not do business with 1hotvega! Jeff sold me a 200 six engine with 2 barrel conversion in 2016. I paid a lot of money for an engine that was ready for the junk yard. The block he used was cracked at the water pump, so he brazed the crack and painted it so the repair couldn't be seen. The area kept seeping, and finally ripped open during a drive this past January after just 200 miles on this rebuilt engine. Jeff assured me that he would cover the block replacement under warranty, then refused to answer phone calls and texts after he told me that he would arrange for shipping the engine back to him in California. Upon disassembly, I found out that the block was bored out .080". The Falcon Performance handbook suggests .040" max. So again, this block should have never been a candidate for rebuilding. I recently found out that the 2 barrel cylinder head has loose valves, suggesting that the valve seats were worn out and never replaced or repaired. See the attached photos. I'm having the original engine rebuilt here locally. It was my mistake to trust someone from out of state. 1hotvega took advantage of me, and I don't want anybody else to suffer the same way.