Remove compressor bolts

Moderator: Mod Squad

kukm66

Remove compressor bolts

Post #1 by kukm66 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:59 am

I removed the bolts from the 2 brackets that hold the compressor in place. How many other bolts are there and where are they? Can I just leave the base support in place? there obviously are more bolts holding the beast in there.
1964 Falcon Futura Convertible
1964 Ranchero

BaldEagleMav

Re: Remove Compressor Base

Post #2 by BaldEagleMav » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi kukm66,

I assume you are referring to the A/C compressor "bracket". Yes, it's a big heavy hunk of metal.

When I removed the old, non-working air conditioning system from my '73 Maverick, I just left that huge bracket in place - because it was providing the mounting for the alternator.

Hope this helps,
BaldEagleMav
BaldEagleMav

'73 Maverick 250/C4
Clifford Single Out Header
Holley-Weber 5200 Carb

SteveS

Post #3 by SteveS » Thu May 01, 2008 9:50 am

I think there are 4 going up through the bottom of the bracket to the bottom of the compressor. On my 82 cougar the compressor has to be removed to actually remove the bracket from the engine. I think yours will be virtually the same as mine is the old twin cylinder compressor. I think there were a total of 3 bolts going to the engine.
Sign of the Cat
1982 Mercury Cougar GS station wagon

kukm66

Post #4 by kukm66 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:30 am

I got the beast out. What a wonderful design by Ford! You can only access the 4 bolts from the bottom which requires jacking the car into the air, removing 40 years of road grime, and using extra long extensions. I ended up removing the alternator first, then the 3j bracket bolts and took out the compressor and bracket all at once. What a POS! The behemoth must have weighed a good 50 lbs. One of the long braces is bolted to the exhaust manifold, another great idea by Ford! I am not going to risk snapping off the head so the bracket can just stay in for now.

I am going to swap sides and install an assembly on the driver's side later using a lighweight Sanden compresso.
1964 Falcon Futura Convertible
1964 Ranchero