1974 Maverick internal upgrades?

Moderator: Mod Squad

ilovemymaverick1974

1974 Maverick internal upgrades?

Post #1 by ilovemymaverick1974 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Hi I recently bought a 1974 Ford Maverick (first car !!!)and I want to know some good semi easy horse power upgrades that a teenage guy can do during his upcoming boring summer. :D
A parts list would be pretty helpful too.

CZLN6
VIP Member

Re: 1974 Maverick internal upgrades?

Post #2 by CZLN6 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:22 pm

Howdy Back:

The best/cheapest thing you could do is to read, Read, READ here on the Forum. In the meantime, tell us more about your Maverick- what engine trans combo? how many miles? Is it a daily driver or a play car? What is your budjet? What is your mechanical ability? What support or help do you have?

The Maverick is a great first car. It will teach you a bunch. learn to learn and enjoy. Before you start throwing money at buying parts get to know and get the most out of what you have.

Adios, David
co-author of the Falcon Performance Handbook
http://www.falcon6handbook.com/

ilovemymaverick1974

Post #3 by ilovemymaverick1974 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:00 am

thanks i have been reading through a LOT of the topics on here but it's pretty overwhelming my mavy is a 200 i6 everything is stock as far I know. This is my first car and I've never fixed one before ever I start driving next school year and so I have this summer + some to fix it up and get some chicks lol. the previous owner did rebuild the engine recently so it has pretty low miles idk exactly I'll check tomorrow and tell ya. My budget is what you would expect a highschool kid's budget to be (low) plus a little more if I can wrangle it out of my parent's :D I'm not intending to do a whole engine overhaul this summer or even this year I intend to take it slow take my time to make sure I do it right but I would apreciate a few pointers on some small stuff I could do this summer to get a little more horsepower. I have access to a mechanic shop (my dad's like second cousin or something is a mechanic) sooo... yeah my skill at repairing stuff is almost non-existent but I'm more than learn how :D
thanks

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #4 by powerband » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:30 am

ilovemymaverick1974 wrote:Hi I recently bought a 1974 Ford Maverick (first car !!!)and I want to know some good semi easy horse power upgrades that a teenage guy can do during his upcoming boring summer. :D
A parts list would be pretty helpful too.

Easy horsepower upgrades start with getting the existing/remaining components optimized to actually use upgrades for power. Fresh plugs and timing check, fuel filter, set of guages, compression check, clean and freshen engine compartment then.... (2Bbl carb adapter-@ $15, Muffler & exhaust mods-swap meet $, paint wheels red> they go faster... )

Maverick's are popular at cruises, a favorite of the 30 year later-high school crowd. 'Hope you let them see your car at local cruises. Maverick's have upgraded suspension and drivetrain features of the Falcon/Comet>Mustang>Maverick/Comet line.

Have Fun

Powerband
"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."

CZLN6
VIP Member

Post #5 by CZLN6 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:07 pm

Howdy Again:

Is your car a tudor or four? Auto trans or Manual? What is your local? PB lined out your 1st fixes- They are what is called a basic tune-up and it provides a baseline for changes needed or to come. Add to that a can of gas system cleaner. It goes in the gas tank and cleans the whole system as you drive. Then what?
* air up the tires to the Max PSI printed on the sidewall of the tires.
*add 5 degrees more initial advance to what the stock specs call for.
*spray down the inside and outside of the carb with an aerosol carb cleaner. Then tune the carb for highest vacuum reading.

The timing and carb tuning are two things it would be good to get help with. It is best to use a timing light and a vacuum gauge too. Maybe a good time to get to know the relatives.

Two other suggestions I'd make are to take time to clean the engine compartment. As you're cleaning, take a look at everything. The other suggestion is to buy a Service Manual for your car. They are available for around $50 but if you plan to do much yourself they are invaluable.

Best wishes, enjoy the journey and be sure to share your experiences with us.

Adios, David
co-author of the Falcon Performance Handbook
http://www.falcon6handbook.com/

JackFish
VIP Member

Post #6 by JackFish » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:35 pm

Find posts by Gene Fiore.
Do what he did.
As the $$$ and time permit. :wink:
1978 Ford Fairmont station wagon
1978 Ford Fairmont station wagon
Yup, I bought another one.
1996 Chevy Caprice 9C1 (3)
1999 Dodge Ram 2500

ilovemymaverick1974

Post #7 by ilovemymaverick1974 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:16 pm

Thanks its a 2 door automatic and after I do pretty much all of these suggestions what should I look for in superchargers and turbochargers I've looked but all I can find are v8 super/turbochargers and what will I need to buy parts wise to mount them and get them working? Thanks

StrangeRanger
VIP Member

Post #8 by StrangeRanger » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:48 pm

There are no "kits" to put a supercharger or a turbocharger on a Falcon six. Paxton made one once about 35 tears ago. Good luck with finding one. Basically you have to roll your own which takes both knowledge and fabrication skills, not to mention access to the required equipment. I would suggest to you that this is far from a beginner's project.

You should pick up a copy of this book: http://www.classicinlines.com/proddetai ... SP-200-FSH It will give you some practical ideas of where to start with your modifications.

Let me also suggest that the engine is the last thing you should be looking at modifying. Before you make more power you need to upgrade your suspension and running gear. Modification #1 should be a disc brake conversion followed closely by suspension, wheel and tire upgrades. Then you can start to think about more power
1996 F-150 (tow missile)
1993 Mustang 5.0 (hot rod and auto-x monster)
1982 Tiga Formula Ford (SCCA racecar)
2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe (daily driver)

69.5Mav

Post #9 by 69.5Mav » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:45 pm

StrangeRanger wrote:Let me also suggest that the engine is the last thing you should be looking at modifying. Before you make more power you need to upgrade your suspension and running gear. Modification #1 should be a disc brake conversion followed closely by suspension, wheel and tire upgrades. Then you can start to think about more power

I agree. The last thing you want to do is wreak your Maverick after you put all the work into it. So

Brakes first.

Then Tires/wheels then suspension or suspension followed by tires/wheels.

You can however do a complete tuneup and once over of the car to get it running in tip top shape. Before you adjust the timing make shure you check to see where it is set so you can return to that setting if things don't work out. The timing mark on the balencer can slip and cause lots of problems if you are not aware of it.