chrysler 6 ?

A

Anonymous

hello i have a chr. 6 in a welder that i want to rebuild. where do i get parts etc? how do i know the age cid etc? thanks hoagy

Are you talking about the flathead 6 or the newer OHV slant 6?

My brother had a '53 flathead 6 in a '47 plymouth coupe. MoPar made a factory dual carb intake manifold and a cast iron dual outlet exhaust for the Dodge Trucks back in the mid-fifties.

I know there is a Plymouth Club of America (based up here in the north land)

Good Luck

I have heard that some flathead chrysler 6s were also sold by and namplated by continental. Don't know if this is one of them but it might be. Having two names to look under somtimes helps find old nos parts.
Jim

if this helps, the exhaust goes under and to the front thanks HOAGY

Chrysler made a zillion of those for industrial engines. Most parts stores should be able to get what you need. Or try JC Whitney
Joe

Used in passenger cars and trucks through 1959, 230" is common, also used in big Smith's air compressors.

My brother's 47 ply w/'53 Chrysler "6" was a 265 CI. It had "Spitfire" cast into the head. Seems to me that the orginal engine had like 198 ci - but others would know for sure.

The Spitfire was also used in Dodge trucks - they came with a factory cast iton dual exhaust manifold and a cast iron dual one barrel intake. Both manifolds had Chrysler part numbers cast in.

It was a hoot to go to the drag strip and tell them it was a "Stock" engine. They ran us against Chevy Sixes for a while and then finally put use into the "gasser" class.

The '47 Plymouth six was 218ci

Chrysler - 1954 - 264.5 cid

DeSoto - 1954 - 250.6 cid

Dodge - 1959 - 230 cid

Dodge Truck - 1968 - 250.6 cid*

Plymouth - 1957 - 230.2 cid

Spitfire.jpg

You can see the "Spit" but not the "fire"

Good Luck

Back