Tornado Six performance parts??

'61 Draggin Wagon

In South/Central America The Kaiser Tornado Six was raced (a la our Nascar)in the late '60s. They were reputed to make lots of horsepower. Has anyone seen or have any hipo goodies for this engine??
For those not familiar with this engine Its has 230 cubes, hemi headed & overhead cammed. *AND* it only uses 6 cam lobes! My '67 Jeep Army truck has one in it, albeit a low compression version. It has a cast iron header on it!
If anyone in Central America has access to any of these parts, I'd be interested in them!
Thanks,
Darryl

A 230 Tornado Six.WOW,I haven't seen or heard about of one of those in YEARS.

Performance wise you probaly should look @ Clifford of Offy...

Do a Google on 230 Tornado and you are bound to find somthing...Good luck.

The 230 was produced and raced in Argentina by IKA/Renault from 1966-1980. You might find some parts still available from Argentine sources. There are a couple websites on IKA-Renault. Search for IKA-Renault Torino (the car the engine was used in). Clifford won't have anything for that engine! You could get a stock cam reground, but it would be hard to decide just how to grind it since one lobe serves intake and exhaust rockers.

Draggin' Wagon,

Are you a member over at the M715 zone? I have a '69 with a Ford 300 by the way. That Tornado was junk especially considering the poor maintenance over the last 35 years. Those Agentine race motors are pretty rad though. Good luck finding parts 'round here.

Chris

The Tornado is(was) far from junk in my opinion. It was a very advanced design in the day. Aside from the poor oil sealing technology of the sixties & the fact that the cam chain stretches easily, these engines are very well designed. The fact that the military version fixed some of these issues makes me like it even better!
Sure it'll never be a Chevy small block, but IF I wanted that I'd be driving a Camaro. Given its limitations, and the cool factor when you open the hood, I'll keep my "junk" Tornado & cruise my '715 at 55 mph(with the 5.87 axle ratios & 38" Super Swampers all day long.
Yes, I'm a member of the '715 zone. Though I find it more annoying than helpful since the last reincarnation.....
So, if I could find a 4 barrel intake, lumpy cam, double roller cam chain & gears & maybe a header, I'd be happy.
Thanks for your opinion.
Darryl

I agree it's a rad design, just not taken care of in most trucks and now have many problems.

Just jump in over there, it's a much better place than the old board, much like this forum.

Chris

Nice Brazilian page. That Tornado OHC was a nice engine. With 3.34" bore and 4.37" stroke, I'd guess that is a torquer, especially with the 3 Weber 2-barrels. I think that Paxton made a blower for it, but you could probably turbocharge that low-compression surplus version fairly easily.

Seems like our customers with the Tornado OHC-engined Jeep trucks & wagons only had that one major complaint... oil leaks. Probably someone's figured out a fix by now, but I don't think the factory ever did.

IIRC that Tornado OHC engine is basically built on the old Continental 6 flathead block that dates back to the late 1920s! (Graham-Paige?) My 1960 Jeep pickup originally had the 226-inch flathead version. It liked to drop a bit of oil, too, but not as much as the OHC engines. A friend put a SBC in there, but gave up & sold it to me. It will be yanked in favor of a Ford 300" I-6, of course.

J.R.

the tornado engine

was a racing engine , here in my country , the tornado is a great engine, and we got a lots of racing parts for it

y got a tonado with 400 hp , not supercharger , no nitro

a lot of racing parts , and 3 weber carburetors 45 45 dcoe'17

here the tornado standar got 200 hp

thanx for read

my page www.torosite.com.ar
all about tornado , and torino .
guille15
buenos aires
argentina

wow a 4.37 stroke!? That should make some axle wraping torque! :D
I am realy fascinated by the fact those guys only have 6cam lobes. I have only ever seen one once, in a wagoneer that was for sale. I kinda wish i had picked it up, they were only asking $700 :(

Back