Velocity tube for EFI

A

Anonymous

I feel like Dr. Frankenstein in his laboratory...

My brother has been buggin' me bout putting on a velocity tube. I was kind of sceptical about the idea. But damn, was I wrong about it!

(Prior to the tube) There is this particular freeway/hill where all I could muster with the overdrive was 65mph and I hit a wall...

Now, I'm cruisin' up that same hill at 76mph! An 11mph difference! I still can't believe it!

Overall, it pulls just a bit stronger...I'm sold!

Other thing I noticed is that the RPM's climb upstairs a lot quicker now.

Chevytown and damn does it feel good to be back ya'll!

Hey C-Town!!

What's a velocity tube?? Sorry....You kinda lost me there... ;)

Glad to have ya back!! :D

Later,

Doug

Sup BIG D...

It sure feels good to be back. There was a lot of folk offering help and it was a pitty not to have it there...

A velocity tube is a peice of tubing that sits before your throttle body. It helps give velocity to the air as it approaches the throttle body. I was told by a tuning shop not to go above 3" I.D. You can see it on my avatar. The tube with the itg airfilter sittin' pretty...

Later HOMETOWN...

Good to hear from you again C-Town!

That's interesting. I'm wondering if the results you saw were a combination of the tube length (some velocity stack tuning) plus providing cooler intake air. It seems to me that your air filter is closer to the rad then it used to be.

Still, hard to argue with the results. Did you use the longest piece of tube that would fit, or is it actually tuned for length?

Greg

Aaaah....I see now :idea: :idea: ;)

I wonder what would happen if you could stick that air filter in a high pressure area to ram more air into it?? Supposedly the wheel well area under the fender is supposed to be one....

Ya know...Like the Mustang 5.0 crowd does.

Later,

Doug

That's like your ram-air type induction, Doug. Different philosophy. A velocity stack uses the streamlining of the flow along the length of the stack, to speed up the airflow through it, and decrease the pressure inside the tube, further increasing flow rate. I can't see why a little extra ambient pressure wouldn't hurt.

Although a filter is needed for street use, a carefully engineered "trumpet" profile might help things along unfiltered. Probably, like inlet runners, there's an optimum spec for street RPM bandwiths.

Cheers, Adam.

Good to back HOMETOWNS!

292C10:
I also wonder if it comes from both combo's. One thing I did notice...if you are familiar with the hood of a 63 C10, there are two openings near the latch to close the hood. After inspection, I noticed that there is a moderately(sp) sized opening that feeds air to the right of the itg. There are also luvers in front of the battery. There is certainly cool air near the itg. These airfilters (from what I have been told) take in most of the air from the tip, where the itg logo is. The ultimate ramair for the truck would be to take out the right turn signal (the airfilter is sittin' right behind it) and create a "scoop" that will feed air to the itg. But I dig them orange parking lights too much...

The length of the tube just kinda ended up that way. It worked the best to get it near the front corner and get it away from heat as much as possible. If I had the time like I used to have, (when I'd put on an exhaust sysem and be yanking it out the next month {I'm serious} looking for the ultimate sound/power) I would like to tune it. That would be kewl...

Mustang G:
I'm thinking of building a box around the airfilter. If I can manage without the lights, and use that ramair idea...would that be the same high pressure as under the wheel well? Do you have a picture of your ramair?

Addo:
These itg airfilter's are designed with an aluminum trumpet like you mentioned as opposed to rubber. The place where I bought it had a cutaway of an itg showing the trumpet and internal filtration..very cool looking.

C-TOWN,

Here's a pic of mine,

ramair_1.jpg

Theres a 500 cfm Holley 2 bbl lurking under there somewhere ;)

Just a idea for ya, When (and if) you decide you want to try some fancy duct work take a look through the heating and cooling section of a Menards, Home Depot or Lowes. No kiddin ;)

They have all sorts of cool adapters, pipes, fittings, etc that can be used.

Mine actually has parts of a downspout off a house that I used., shown towards the bottom of this page you can see how I attatched it to the radiator support.

http://www.geocities.com/mustang_man_1966/ram_air.html

Later,

Doug

Sweeeeeeet!

Bro, you got a sharp looking 6. Quality work indeed on your rod!

And let me tell ya, I know exactly what you're talking about at Lowes and the like. I have pondered those isles looking for "stuff" to mod to the truck, LOL!

Thank's!!

While I'm at one of those places, I always have to check out the "power tool" section also...That really gets the blood flowin ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Later,

Doug

Back