Nissan RB series?

A

Anonymous

I don't know about you guys... but I'm a huge fan of RB-swapped nissan 240sx's!!! I'm looking at doing an RB25det S14 240sx in the future when I get some funds together.. anyone else like them?

The six cylinder engine is a veritable rocket!

Down in New Zealand, they can be had cheaply. My machinest, Glen, has an S14 with a Cima 4.1 V8 and Skyline R32 rear suspension. A rocket! The Infiniti Q45 engine, a little smaller.

The RB engines were very popular, and are best gotten from a wrecker in Australia. The bewildering variety of RB's range from 20, 25, 26;s, 28's and 30's found in Aussie made Holdens and Nissans. They pass the Aussie air regs, but the turbo versions are rare, and Aussies tend to skip the comon R32 Skyline GTS Sedan we get in New Zealand because of the pillarless doors and don't pass the Australian Design rules for side impact. Over here, they are so prevalent that engine bits are easy to get, and you see heaps of them at drag races. They have RB 25's and they are hot.

yea man... my buddy was doing an RB25DET '84 300zx, but he moved to texas, i really wanna see it when he gets it done!

the common thing to do over here is the SR20DET turbo cyl into an s13.. theres quite a few around here

also, the RB20DET is getting big too, im friends with 3 people with that swap right now

so the common thing over there is the nn turbo RB25 you say?

Affiramtive. The RB20 is a six, the RB25 is the common R33 and R34 Skyline engine, sort of a mini Belair Hardtop in 4 or 2-dr form. The killer RB 26 is based on that. The mid 80's Holdens and Aussie made R31 Nissan Sklines ran stock RB30E. The Holden one got the turbo.

The little 2.0 liter engine is long and shallow, about 7.4" tall at the block. The 2.5, 2.6 and 3.0 are tall block versions with 85 mm bore and longer stroke. 1000 hp available from a largely stock RB26 or RB30 with a big turbo. They crack the odd head in the Holden due to a radiator mess up, but its one of the most reliable engines around. http://f2.autospeed.com/cms/A_1200/article.html

Here's what the stock block can do!

Peter Sammut, Sammut Racing Products, makes datalogger components for drag racing.

Sammut Racing Products,
Melb,
Aust
Tel 613 9315 6854
Fax 613 9315 6991

His 300 ZX runs a 3.0 litre (183cu.in) Nissan in-line six cylinder (RB30-C) -Engine. It is the fasted RB 30 in the world. He stateted in 1990 with a 630 hp twin turbo RB30, and he raced it in a Torana at 9.2 secs quarters. After converting to 300 ZX, this is the result!

http://www.fullboost.com.au/content//racing/records/300zx_sammutb.jpg
Peter Sammut Nissan 300ZX ET 7.988secs @ 171.49MPH

Peter and John Sammut returning with new 300 zx! Aug 13 2004
sammut.jpg

Former super stock champions, Peter and John Sammut, have a new Nissan 300 zx being buily by chassis guru Murray Anderson. The Melbournians, who ran many a 7 second pass in DD/Gas, now known as DD/SK, will no doubt be hot on the pace of their designated class. The only three other DD/SK cars in the country are those of Mark Ashford, Bill Mouser and Daniel Camilleri. The Sammut's previous 300 zx (pictured above) took the brothers to multiple Nationals victories, before a horrific crash at Willowbank destroyed the car

nice info!

here's a shot of my friend JJ's RB20 S13 240sx

DSCN1501.jpg

and after a run on the Tail of the Dragon

SEDA_dragon_meet_-068.jpg

SEDA_dragon_meet_-081.jpg

MVC-060F2.JPG

MVC-061F.JPG

MVC-060F.JPG

damn inside tire locked up on him through a sharp turn, he got crazy understeer, and hit a tree and went off the cliff.. its at my friend trevors house right now, seeing what we can salvage

i need a pic of the muffler, its flat and full of wood from the tree!![/u]

OH DEAR. CAN'T SET 'CAR DAMAGE' TO ZERO IN REAL LIFE!

Glad JJ is still in the land of the living. Awesome shots!

i had an RB20 in my S13 hatchback, i also but a silvia front end on my car so i could have that sil-eighty look that we all know and love.

ended up parting the car out and selling it, also sold an twin turbo RB25 that me and some friends were gonna work on. at the time i had a fried in Japan and i just told him what i wanted it and POOF it was mine for a very small price, thanks to military shipping of course.

as for either engine, you cannot go wrong, they are just plain badd ass .

dan

awesome man

i need to find pics of an S14 a local shop, augusta customs, did

looked really good, had a molded bodykit and a very mild RB26dett at around 400 hp... it was an extremely nice car, was just sold on ebay

RB30's are top motors hopefully the XR6T does better.
Best ive seen besides thousands of skylines is a RB30 turbo stock with factory intercooler in a 65' Corolla. Ran a 13.2 ET fit pretty well too. :eek:

I went with my RB20det bacause of the great debate on fitting the larger RB's in a 240sx and still keep the twin turbo's, we thought we could mock up a new manifold for a huge single turbo or a smaller turbo feeding that big
ass one.

right now i am wishing that i kept one of the engines so i could put it in my 66 mustang, how sweet wold that be, classic car and pop the hood (no no V-8, not even a V-6) just one nasty RB26.

now if only i could make it all wheel drive as welllll

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm all wheel drive

dan

All wheel drive? How about 4WD?

AMC Eagles came in a few flavours (wagon, sedan, coupe and two hatchbacks) ...wheelbase 109 inches...front track 59.6 inches, rear track 58 inches. Full time 4WD Quadra-trac system...all hooked up to an inline 6 (of course) but capable of dealing with the more powerful engines than they had at the time. Essentially the same cars without the 4WD had been sold for years with 304/360's and 390/401's have been swapped quite often since.

Having never done anything remotely like it myself, I can blithely say...what would it take to move the vitals to a Mustang?

The latest Falcon based Ford Territory runs the 4.0 DOHC I6, and its planned to be turboed next fall with a 321 hp verion.

The trans is the Maserati/Vovo/BTR 4-stage, and the uprights were designed for 4wd in 1998 when the AU platforma came out.

The best bet is to use the AMC updrights, and raise the chassis. The X-body (60 Falcon, Mustang, Maverick to 79 Granada) has to be raised to AMC Eagle height to catter for the chassis rails wich hit the drive shafts if its kept at stock height.

The options for a stock height X-body with a wicked I6 and 4 x 4 are to notch the chassis rails, and add the Holden Commodore strut conversion. The German military in 1979 got there Opel Senators reworked for the FF 4wd set-up, so Holden ins Australia have only used 25 year old technology.

The rare Skyline GTR IFS could be used on early Mustangs, but it is rather narrow set. Chassis rails need to be clipped in.

Perhaps the best option is to grab the wide body Fornt driver like the Taurus, or Camry IFS chassis rails, or Granada Scorpio 2.9 import RWD fornt clip, and graft them in to the Mustang. That gives you the better front chassis, and allows you to run the stock half shafts with a proper .

Yeah, its hard core, but you gotta do it right if you want a stealth six which shuts down a Skyline GTR.

66bench":3s0bcero said:
I went with my RB20det bacause of the great debate on fitting the larger RB's in a 240sx and still keep the twin turbo's, we thought we could mock up a new manifold for a huge single turbo or a smaller turbo feeding that big
ass one.

right now i am wishing that i kept one of the engines so i could put it in my 66 mustang, how sweet wold that be, classic car and pop the hood (no no V-8, not even a V-6) just one nasty RB26.

now if only i could make it all wheel drive as welllll

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm all wheel drive

dan

did you see the red '65 with the supra 1jz in it with 20" Torque Thrust II's on it? here's the link to it, on a local forum

http://csramotorsports.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15234

some guy from thailand or soemthing had it, they don't have much access to v8's & parts out there, so he did the swap... it's awesome

also, xtaxi, my friend with the wrecked S13 is buying another S13 and doing a Silvia conversion... swapping the RB20 in there and uprgading his injectors and has a T3 turbo from a Z31 300zx... gonna be a REALLY nice car

Back