Need help with a chebby....

goinbroke2

I know a guy who bought a 78 nova with a 250 in it. He heard "rumors" of swapping the head with another chebby 6, a 260??? I've never heard of a 260 chev. He said it was the same year as his 250....
Now, as far as I know, the 230-250-292 heads are all interchangeable.

1) Am I right or wrong?

2) Will a chevette 2bbl bolt on or is an adapter required?

He's looking for more bottom end and better milage. I'm thinking headers/better exh. Any idea's?

Thanks

I had 80 C-20 van with a 250 I6. That year had a log head. Meaning the intake was the same casting as the head. They were thin heads and prone to cracking if over heated. The carb was a very good one it was a progressive
2BBl just like the ones on a 80 citation. If you find one these are good carbs for mileage and I am sure one could be adapted to a stock intake. It has a retangle top where the air cleaner mounts to it. My van got 14mpg when I wasen't hauling car parts. It weighed 4200lbs. 11mpg when it was hauling.

Older C***y had a non-log head and are more desirable for a performance built. IIRC the trick head is from the old 193 CID I6. Very small chambers which can be opened up dlightly to fit and unshroud larger valves while still keeping a higher CR and better quench.

you really need to ask Ch**y questions over at www.inliners.org. Lots of expertise there. There is also a very comprehensive speed manual on the Ch**y written by Leo Santucci.

Thanks for the answers guys, and I will go over to inliners too. (or send him)
A friend bought this as a winter beater, but then realised it's a one owner 40,000 mile car in damn near mint condition. He drove it for a year or two then sold it to the present owner because he now has a firehawk.

So, carb off a 80's van, or citation? Cool, I'll pass that on.

Back