THE EVIL CHEVY NAME

ordodraconis

WELL I JUST BOUGHT A 1979 CHEVY CAMARO FOR 75 BUCKS AND RUN GOOD NEEDS SOME BODY WORK AND INTERIOR BUT THE MOTOR IS IN GREAT SHAPE ITS INLINE SIX 250 I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT WOULD BE SOME GREAT UPGRADES FOR IT I WAS LOOKING FOR A NEW INTAKE MANIFOLD BUT I CAN FIGURE OUT WERE TO GET AN OFFY FOR IT I KNOW THEY MAKE ONE. IF CHEVY IS FORBIDDEN ON THIS FORUM MY BAD I JUST CAUSE YOU KNOW INLINE SIX THIS WOULD BE A GREAT PLACE TO DISCUSS IT.

Now if you want a real six, 50 cubes more and a lot more torque there this 300 made by Ford --------------- ;)

i have a 300 six in my 1987 f150 i love it to death she runs like a champion but i have decided to get this camaro running and make it fast as i can i just installed the fiberglass frontend from jcwitney mad it 290 pounds lighter i took it over to my girlfriends work at a truckstop and weigh it but im looking to get the motor to gogogogo i was looking into an offy intake with at least 500 cfm carb but i would like to here some recommedation if you have them im waiting for my copy of that book to come in so...... :cry:

On my old 250 I had in my 71 Ventura I added a set of long Tubes from Clifford Performance with 2 Cherry Bombs and turndowns, and a 2P2 Alum. Edelbrock intake. Also an open element air cleaner. With the 3sp manual the car was a blast. Till she kissed a tree. RIP

By the time you put all the money into performance parts, you could always have a decent, and still more powerfull 350...

But this is a Six-site, so I'll probably get flamed...so..

You could always go 307, or 20 more inches, if you wanted to be different. Stay away from 305's...

I was looking into a 68' Ch3vy truck with a Straight-Six, 3-speed on the column for a daily driver. I could haul-stuff, cruise around, and its still alot better looking than an S-10. And different...

-F

292 6 not that common. 250 much more common. Ford 300 much much stronger bottom end. Much more common/plentiful.

I just realized how smooth a Six-Car is, after riding in our AMC-powered jeep. I see why they were preferred to flat-head V8's for a while.

Too bad V-6's are killing them off. (What happened to the Slant-Six? I know much of its design went into the 4-cylinders of the K-Cars, but where'd it go exactly?)

-F

the slant six was eventually murdered altogether (ill never forgive mopar for that) in order to make way for the newer four poppers like the omni, the 024, rampage/charger and daytona and k car makes. chrysler was in trouble bad and needed lighter, more modern and fuel efficient iron in order to survive. it was really a combination of slow sales, ever tightening emissions and need of a "corparate facelift" that made ma mopar decide to give it the axe.

Frosty":2ovbiwbu said:
I just realized how smooth a Six-Car is, after riding in our AMC-powered jeep. I see why they were preferred to flat-head V8's for a while.

Too bad V-6's are killing them off. (What happened to the Slant-Six? I know much of its design went into the 4-cylinders of the K-Cars, but where'd it go exactly?)

-F

Emissions was one thing. Fuel distribution was an issue. I love mine!

www.slantsix.org

Homes, Biggy Franks has been hauling quite a bit these days...concrete, boulders, steel and wood. He's been put on the backburner this past year in favor of fences for privacy and retaining walls so I can beat the rains coming. They've washed away too much dirt/hill in front of the crib these past couple of years. It was either preventing a land slide or posi... :roll:

INLINERS FOREVER

Its been quite a while since I've seen one, but a relative once acquired a 250 that had been yanked out of a smogged up Nova, and I thought that GM had changed the intake manifold configuration or something...I thought it had become intregal with the head by then...same as the small Ford. Someone who knows more please correct me if I'm wrong.

The 1979 250 light truck motor had a two barrel carb and a spiit exhaust maniford. I remember driving them and finding the performance was not that remarkable, but it was cool to hear the 2V open up. Those motors did not hold up as good as earlier Chevy 250s.

Ordo, I think a lot of the resentment of Ch#vys comes from all the guys who have built classic Thirties Fords and replaced the flatheads with SBCs. If only a few guys had ever done this, it would have been fine, but it's everywhere you look!

So it's time we started putting Ford motors in Ch#vys (oh, man do I wish I had my old '56 convertible and my '67 El Camino!!). That Camaro is your chance to do something you'll never see twice at the local cruise, Ordo, after you wear out the 250.

Back