Rebuild problems, HELP!!!!!

A

Anonymous

:unsure:
I'm hoping someone here can help me with a wee bit of a problem I'm having.

I took the engine & tranny out of my car to redo the front end. While it was out I thought it would be a great time to replace the front crank seal & oil pan gasket and add power steering to the car.

Everything went well, except for the reinstallation of the alternator .

I put the lower mounting bracket bak on the car in the only position that it can go on. Now the alternator pulley is about 1/2 a groove away from the inner pulley on the crank. It seems to be too far back!!! :shock: I am using the same crank pulley & alternator that came off the car!

I thought that maybe the damper wasn't back far enough on the engine, but it seems to be on as far as it can go, & it's pulley lines up with the water pump perfectly. The alternator also misses the top adjuster mount (lower part of P/S bracket) by the same amount.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx

Paul :beer:

There's no cylindrical spacer that adjusts alternator position, like some engines have? That's about the only thing which springs to mind.

Addo,

Thee is the usual spacer, but it is still in the same place as before. I even grabbed the original alternator to see it it would fit. No luck

I can't seem to see what went wrong, but it has to be something simple.

I must be having a grey moment.

Paul

Back