Nissan 4.5 liter Industrial six?

A

Anonymous

At work we have a Komatsu forklift with a Nissan 4.5 liter six running propane - the engine is one very nice looking piece!

Is this a gas version of their diesel six, or a new design?

I wonder what it has for performance potential (turbo OF COURSE!!) and I wonder where I could get one.

Linc,
I have a 200 FM bearing catalog and the newest big Nissan sixes it shows are a 60-88 4.0 possibly gas engine with 2.750in mains and 2.250in rods. Bore86mm stroke 114mm.

They also show 75-83 5.6 diesel and turbo diesel 100mm bore and 120mm stroke. No bearings or specs offered.

And a 69-78 6.8 diesel 110mm bore 120mm stroke. Std bearings only 3.500in mains. no other specs offered.

Go to your favorite parts store and try to score a good bearing manual.
preferably a Sealed Power/Federal Mogul. You would not believe the info you can get from it. It has occaisonal misprints but it is a pretty good source for tracking down specs, and compairing differences. Also good for rod and crank casting numbers.

Well, this one was built Nov 2004 and "meets all Federal and California emissions specs for the 2005 model year"

It is all efi, even has a HEGO 02 sensor!!

It probably has an OBD II data port somewhere... :roll:

It has a cast iron block and aluminum head (crossflow). It is smaller than a 300 six and larger than a 200 six.

Standing at the bell housing looking towards the fan (like in a car) the ex manifold is on the left and intake on the right. The mechanical fan is on its own assembly, not on the front of the water pump like most engines. The distributor is at the front of the engine, in front of the exhaust and to the left of the fan. It sticks straight vertical with a large diameter cap like a duraspark II.

Stubby":2hj93lnf said:
Getting closer!!! This is the one they inlarged.
http://www.enginepowersource.com/html/nissan_tb42ps.htm

Give that man a cigar!! I did a google search for "Nissan Industrial TB45"
and there it is: http://nissanforklift.com/f05.aspx

Funny - - the Komatsu forklift is yellow and aqua colored - but that gray Nissan forklift is THE EXACT SAME THING!
Different colors tho.... so who made which?? Nissan has been making forkilfts for a long time, so the Komatsu is probably a "re-badged" and re-painted Nissan.

Did you get the weight - - the 4.2 liter TB42 is 305 Kg!! that is 673 pounds!!!! ... .. ... .. ... .. ... F* that! If I want a 700 pound engine in my car I'll drop in a 460! I can't believe it is that heavy, even with an aluminum head!!

While searching and searching the web for a 4.5 liter 6 cylinder, I ran across the DOHC 24 vlave Lexus LX450 engine - - SWEET!! Now I just need to find one in a wrecking yard!! It is all low end torque, so a turbo version would be killer!

I suppose power to weight is less of an issue with forklifts. Bet it has massive thick bores that can be honed forever. How many hours between service intervals for the one at your workplace?

addo":1wfbdymi said:
I suppose power to weight is less of an issue with forklifts. Bet it has massive thick bores that can be honed forever. How many hours between service intervals for the one at your workplace?

The weight is very welcome in that application to counterbalance the load on the forks....

We would never keep a machine long enough to have to worry about reconditioning, but service intervals are probably every 50-100 hours or so. Typical.

There is actually a decal on the rocker cover that says sevice life is 5000 hours or 7 years which ever comes first!!!! No one in the US would ever follow that.

Te TB42 is square bore and stroke at 96 mm. TB45 is ?

Linc's 200":8x8kv4jb said:
While searching and searching the web for a 4.5 liter 6 cylinder, I ran across the DOHC 24 vlave Lexus LX450 engine - - SWEET!! Now I just need to find one in a wrecking yard!! It is all low end torque, so a turbo version would be killer!

This was also in the Toyota Land Cruiser up to 1996, this may be more common. My recollection is that there aren't any drivetrain differences with the LX450. This is a sweet engine, something like 210 horse in a very easy state of tune, and it is built like a tank...

The Factory I used to work at had a Forklift with that Nissan 6 in it. For Forktruck duty it didnt do all that bad but it seemed like it was always needing work.

What I think would be awesome is a Forklift with a 351W 4BBL HO from a mid 80's pickup.....but thats just me :)

My 1980 International Scout has a turbocharged Nissan SD33T in it. They were only turboed in 80. A very good engine, Though not a very high horsepower engine. They are also used in forklifts and airport tugs.

The engine has the same architecture as the 68-79 G60, 1979 to 1985 GQ and 1985 to 1996 MQ Nissan Patrol 4 x 4, a version not sold in the US due to crash regulations. The engine came out in the late 60's , and has been updated in the same manner as the 1F and 2F Toyota Landcruiser L6's.

The Patrol engine was similar to the Austin 4 liter truck L6, as NIssan/Datsun used old forlorn British Motor Corporation patents and engines designs, reworked them slightly, and then sold them in early Datsun Bluebirds, Datsun 1200's etc. The OHV Patrol engine was based on that ancient Austin 4 liter truck engine. By about 1990, the engine got an alloy head, fuel injection, and 4.2 liters. In the early versions, it was rare to exceed 16 mpg around the farm. The latest Patrol with a petrol engine gives about 242 hp, and is 4.8 liter OHC I6. The old Zee 280 L28, Cedric RD28, Skyline RB30 and Chrysler/International/Nissan SD33 engines were also found in the frame rails.

Nissan Diesel and gasoline truck engines are for all intents and purposes the most perfect total quality assured engines for every dollar you can spend. Mercedes Benz/Tata/Musso diesle and gasoline truck engines are possibly better, but more expensive.

Engine salesmen here go broke with Nissan engines, because once they are sold, no-one ever comes back for extra parts. Rebuilds are very difficult, as the bore and rings materiel specs and suface texture tollerances are so high that the rings never bed in. There is one grade of piston, with a very narrow tollerance. Thats how Nissan saves money, by making sure nothing ever has to be serviced again. Little wonder little Nissan 3.0 EFI SOHC I6's can start off with little more than 150 hp in a 17 second quarter mile grocery getter, then receive 30 pounds of boost, better valve gear and special cam and end up with 750 hp all on the stock crank, rods, block and head. Then the same sedan does 9 second quarter miles at 150 odd mph. Magic!

Back